Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

No. We don't mandate people to be friends with people they choose not to associate, why should non-essential businesses be forced.

There is a world of difference between being friends with someone and operating a business serving the public.

How can you even compare the two?

LOL, backing down? Now it's 'non-essential businesses'...ROLFMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If there is a recent case that you have heard of, then please do start a thread about it.
Apple sells to people and in countries who/which execute homosexuals just because they are homosexuals. Hope you don't have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, otherwise you're an opportunistic hypocrite, much like the Dem 2016 frontrunner Hillary Clinton.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I have an inkling that people who are championing this law have not thought about how it might actually apply to them, as customers. I think they vehemently disagree with gay marriage and support whatever they think may give validity to their views in the public arena. But, I also think if the tables are turned and groups they also dislike, like say Muslims, start using it to support their practices, that they may not be so supportive.
Maybe but as I said, I've not seen any support of Muslim discrimination.

Quote:
I agree. One would hope that's enough to make anti discrimination laws unnecessary. However, some business do take advantage of being businesses, in the form of SBA loans, small business grants, tax breaks, and other advantages furnished by the government. Does that then make their ability to discriminate a fuzzy area because they effectively use public resources? Apart from the argument that said business should be allowed freely to serve whomever they choose, because the market would decide, should they be allowed to discriminate against someone who for all intents unwittingly helped fund the business in the first place?
That is an argument for government discrimination. That is forbidden by the Constitution.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:00 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
{snip}

Most of these cases stem not from a store where someone walks in and just says "I want to buy this", it has been cases where the person would be part of the gay marriage ceremony, like the photographer in New Mexico. Forcing someone to participate in an event they object to is just wrong on so many levels.
I can agree with allowing room for a business owner to turn down a service for a customer if it means you have to become a part of the activity you object to.

For example, if you belong to PETA and advertise as a photographer who specializes in sporting events, hobbies, outdoor and nature activities, you should be able to turn down a job to film a customer's wolf hunt. Or if the person wants you to film his KKK event, and you are a Jew, or a person of color, or a Catholic.

If a gay couple wants you to film an activity which you tell them offends you, you'd think the customer would go elsewhere since you clearly would not do a good job.

Is there a difference between turning down work because an activity offends you, or because the customer is of a specific religion, race or ethnicity which offends you?

Maybe it's drawing too fine a line for some people, but to me there is a difference between being offended by an activity, such as a wolf hunt or a gay wedding, and being offended by the customer's race, ethnicity, religion or sexual persuasion. I can see turning down a job because you do not want to be an active participant in an activity which offends you, but not because who or what the customer is offends you.

Simply refusing to serve a customer because of who they are, e.g., gay, is no different then turning them down because you don't approve of their religion or race.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:01 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apple sells to people and in countries who/which execute homosexuals just because they are homosexuals. Hope you don't have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, otherwise you're an opportunistic hypocrite, much like the Dem 2016 frontrunner Hillary Clinton.
Apple is also a publicly traded company that makes its choices based on the amount of growth it can make.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,809,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Private businesses should be allowed the FREEDOM to refuse service to anyone they choose.
Yes, they should have the freedom. Nor should they get upset that other businesses and individuals boycott them because of their exercise of that freedom. See, everybody has freedom!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Apple is also a publicly traded company that makes its choices based on the amount of growth it can make.
So why no massive protest against Apple, which sells products to those who execute homosexuals just for being homosexual? Where's the outrage? Why no boycott? Why the extreme liberal hypocrisy in Apple's case? Why is it OK for Apple to endorse the execution of homosexuals by specifically doing business with such people/governments, but it's not OK for others to merely turn business away when there are plenty of other choices for those turned away?

Which is worse? Execution... death? Or having to buy from another business?

Last edited by InformedConsent; 03-31-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 AM

13,423 posts, read 9,955,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe but as I said, I've not seen any support of Muslim discrimination.

That is an argument for government discrimination. That is forbidden by the Constitution.
Then if a business is partially funded using a government grant, is it able to legally discriminate?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Yes, they should have the freedom. Nor should they get upset that other businesses and individuals boycott them because of their exercise of that freedom. See, everybody has freedom!
Exactly! So when does the Apple boycott begin?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:09 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No, they just want to shove delicious cake into everyone's mouth . By your logic that means if they bake a cake for a Wiccan cover they are okay with pagan rites and if they bake a cake for someone getting remarried then they are okay with divorce. Like I said before, it's amazing how many so called Christians cherry pick the sins they are too morally outraged over to be a part of .
...and who is being morally outraged over a Christian's right to decide what he believes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies