Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No it doesn't. I posted earlier the example of Curve's, the women's health clinic. They cater only to women because they believe women would be more at ease in that environment, not because they hate men.
Uh, you need to read my post in relation to those I was referencing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFan2004 View Post
So you're okay with the Jim Crow era "No Blacks" sign in the door? You'd have no problem were it introduced today?

It was Jim Crow laws, i.e. government, that enforced segregation. Do you understand the difference between private citizens and government?

Government should not be allowed to discriminate, individuals should.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Uh, you need to read my post in relation to those I was referencing.
Correct you are. Sorry.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
There are people that feel that these problems are best left to the government. That doesn't make them a Fascist, just wrong.
Your about two steps behind me. Reread my posts within the context of those to which I was responding.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArsenalFan2004 View Post
So you're okay with the Jim Crow era "No Blacks" sign in the door? You'd have no problem were it introduced today?
I feel that any non-essential business should have the right to post a "No Blacks" sign. Of course, it would be a business I'd shun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Plenty of people take me seriously.
I am one of those.

I can see no issues with allowing the consumers to decide if they want to use a business that discriminates. I'd love to know if I were supporting a business owned by a racist, it would allow me to boycott such a business.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I like you, am conflicted with this issue, as well, but....

Sodom and Gomorrah - Bible Story Summary

It did not end well for them.

There as different ways man will one day become extinct. Let us count the ways.
Quote:
"'Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.
Ezekiel 16:49

No mention of cake, flowers, weddings, or homosexuals.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Correct you are. Sorry.
No apology necessary.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:25 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How is Apple selling to anyone discriminating? If they decided NOT to sell to some people or countries THAT would be discriminating.
Exactly. Selling to everyone, regardless of their beliefs or personal lives, is not discrimination.

If businesses are going to use this law to discriminate against certain customers, they should be required to post signs on their doors stating that fact. I want the right to know that they are jerks before I give them my money.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I feel that any non-essential business should have the right to post a "No Blacks" sign. Of course, it would be a business I'd shun.

I am one of those.

I can see no issues with allowing the consumers to decide if they want to use a business that discriminates. I'd love to know if I were supporting a business owned by a racist, it would allow me to boycott such a business.
Today's modern day liberals are afraid of real Freedom. The prefer the blanket of big government to protect them from all of societies non-physically threatening ill's.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:29 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So far there hasn't been a case where the couple forced anyone to provide anything they would not have provided to anyone else. So no special big gay cake, or floral arrangement. In fact all cases have been about the baker/florist saying they would not provide any cake/flowers for the couple for the event.

The church thing is ridiculous. Churches can, and do, refuse ceremonies based on race (just last year) religion (all the time) and even because they don;t like the brides dress (a couple of years ago). No one is saying that churches have to do anything against their beliefs. I have never seen a single case where a CHURCH was forced to host any ceremony for anyone at all. If you have, please link it.
Businesses are not churches.
However, business owners go to church.

Now the Bible does give direction that is clear, in that it states 'we are to follow man's law', and it makes no exceptions therein, that I am aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies