Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:58 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Whenver i discuss politics with Republicans, they claim i am brainwashed by "mainstream media" and that i don't know the real truth. If all the network news outlets, print media, cable news are colluding to keep the real truth from us, then Where from do Republicans get their news? When i ask i never get a straight answer. Do they all have a secret news outlet? Is it published outside of US somewhere?

I agree one needs to read carefully the actual news reporting and seperate facts from opinion to understand the real issues. too much MSNBC or FOX can muddle your brain. But i don't know what other source one can turn to other than main stream media if you want to understand what is going on. Is WSJ main stream media or not? While i abhor their editorials i find the actual news reporting is excellent.
Well, you already note that MSNBC and FOX are pretty biased, on that we can agree.

So, the question is how about the rest of them?

Personally, when you see shows around like "the view" and of course things like "Rather-gate" then there is some truth that many of the other media outfits likely have a little tilt to them....although nothing like what the Republicans claim.

For example, NPR I listen to quite frequently and they lean left but at the same time I've heard two segments from them in recent months tearing Obama a new one for trying to muzzle the press reporting through intimidation tactics as well as some of his other actions.

So IMO, small bias...overblown by rwnj's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 11:17 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, you already note that MSNBC and FOX are pretty biased, on that we can agree.

So, the question is how about the rest of them?

Personally, when you see shows around like "the view" and of course things like "Rather-gate" then there is some truth that many of the other media outfits likely have a little tilt to them....although nothing like what the Republicans claim.

For example, NPR I listen to quite frequently and they lean left but at the same time I've heard two segments from them in recent months tearing Obama a new one for trying to muzzle the press reporting through intimidation tactics as well as some of his other actions.

So IMO, small bias...overblown by rwnj's.
The View is not even trying to be a news outlet, are they?

When you say NPR "leans" left, what do you mean? I am strictly talking about their delivery of news, not the discussions shows. even their discussion shows usually have two sides and often also callers call in and i don't see them cutting them off like Talk Radio does - not that i think Talk Radio delivers news, to be clear.
They take up controversial issues, but i think i get both sides. For instance the Pence issue - i could almost see the point of such a law. almost. but that speaks for presenting all sides of issue. i don't call this left leaning, unless right means presenting only one side.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:23 AM

just this morning i was reading an anlysis of the Iran summit in the newspaper. it was excellent. it lays out all the questions - what, who, where, when, deadlines, agreements, what that means, what if they don't agree, what happens if they agree - all questions one may have. it was not right or left. i feel it was uniquely American in the complete and informative way it presented an important issue. it is a disservice to the hard work reporters and journalists do to dismiss everything they do as biased. be glad you have too much news than not enough and censored news.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The View is not even trying to be a news outlet, are they?

When you say NPR "leans" left, what do you mean? I am strictly talking about their delivery of news, not the discussions shows. even their discussion shows usually have two sides and often also callers call in and i don't see them cutting them off like Talk Radio does - not that i think Talk Radio delivers news, to be clear.
They take up controversial issues, but i think i get both sides. For instance the Pence issue - i could almost see the point of such a law. almost. but that speaks for presenting all sides of issue. i don't call this left leaning, unless right means presenting only one side.
NPR doesn't lean left. It's solid on the left. I am an avid NRP listener and I listen to it daily on my commute. Their bias is pretty much on par with CNN.

One good example for you is the Diane Rehm show. One time they were talking about illegal immigration. Not one word was mentioned about them being illegal and we need to enforce our laws.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:18 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Quote:
Let's test your integrity. Please post a link to the message I posted in this thread where I actually posted the phrase "there is no media bias". Find those five words under my user name, not some self-serving perverse reinterpretation you excreted based on what I wrote. You can't. Because you made it up. Just like all the rest of the silly nonsense you've been posting. The media isn't biased left or right but rather both in equal measure. Even if right-wingers can't admit it. Even if that ruins the right wing's inane narrative. Even if right-wingers find themselves driven to make things up just to have something to say.
Start with post #10, in which you say liberal media bias is a "bs" claim.
Stop trying to move the goalposts. I won't allow you to do so with impunity.

Prove your integrity, please. Please post a link to the message I posted in this thread where I actually posted the phrase "there is no media bias". Find those five words under my user name, not some self-serving perverse reinterpretation you excreted based on what I wrote.

You can't. You made it up. And you won't admit it. Incredible.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Stop trying to move the goalposts. I won't allow you to do so with impunity.

Prove your integrity, please. Please post a link to the message I posted in this thread where I actually posted the phrase "there is no media bias". Find those five words under my user name, not some self-serving perverse reinterpretation you excreted based on what I wrote.

You can't. You made it up. And you won't admit it. Incredible.
It seems you still can't admit your mistake. The "exact phrase" requirement is nothing but a cop-out.

Again, start with post #10. If that's not what you were saying, please explain what you were saying.
//www.city-data.com/forum/38979767-post10.html

Old 04-02-2015, 04:09 AM
bUU

Quote:
It seems you still can't admit your mistake.
Rather, you still cannot admit that you posted a false accusation.

Quote:
The "exact phrase" requirement is nothing but a cop-out.
The continued rationalizations are ridiculous evasion.

I'll be waiting for your apology.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
If that were true of me, you should be able to prove it by explaining what else you could have meant in post #10.
//www.city-data.com/forum/38979767-post10.html

Yet you either can't or won't.

It seems it isn't me who is evading.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:27 AM
bUU

Another dodge. It is amazing that you won't admit you were wrong, and instead continue this childish evasion. I'll make you a deal: Admit you were wrong, and then we can start over: I will repost my original point and then you can repost your points as you wish, respecting the actual content my comments without going back to mischaracterizing what I said. Deal?

Old 04-02-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
NPR doesn't lean left. It's solid on the left. I am an avid NRP listener and I listen to it daily on my commute. Their bias is pretty much on par with CNN.

One good example for you is the Diane Rehm show. One time they were talking about illegal immigration. Not one word was mentioned about them being illegal and we need to enforce our laws.
Maybe instead of looking for keywords that signals left and right you should try listening to the entire program and the message. Was there anything in the program that made sense to you? If it did you learnt something. If all you wanted to hear was the word illegal then it is YOU who is biased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies