Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 10:05 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times

Advertisements

I say this as a licensed CPA whose industry would lose a lot of fees if the tax code were simpler. Why is our tax code so complex, such that honest people have to shell out hundreds of dollars on top of what they're already paying in taxes, just to make sure they're paying the right amount? I think it's a complete travesty. Paying taxes should be completely idiot proof and simple. Also, the IRS at least needs some sort of reform: our tax collection agency should not be the enemy of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I say this as a licensed CPA whose industry would lose a lot of fees if the tax code were simpler. Why is our tax code so complex, such that honest people have to shell out hundreds of dollars on top of what they're already paying in taxes, just to make sure they're paying the right amount? I think it's a complete travesty. Paying taxes should be completely idiot proof and simple. Also, the IRS at least needs some sort of reform: our tax collection agency should not be the enemy of the people.
Not only did you answer your own question, you are advocating to destroy your professional industry.

There's really nothing further to discuss. The tax code employs service professionals and helps encourage certain actions of businesses through the tax code.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not only did you answer your own question, you are advocating to destroy your professional industry.

There's really nothing further to discuss. The tax code employs service professionals and helps encourage certain actions of businesses through the tax code.
I don't think you have a clue what a CPA does or means. And it wouldn't destroy my industry. Good grief

Old 03-27-2015, 10:11 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,010 times
Quote:

I don't think you have a clue what a CPA does or means. And it wouldn't destroy my industry. Good grief
I didn't say it; you did.

Quote:
I say this as a licensed CPA whose industry would lose a lot of fees if the tax code were simpler.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I didn't say it; you did.
I said it would hurt it and we had had something to lose.

15,629 posts, read 10,383,806 times
Tax law, specifically complicated deductions and income classification, is a way politicians can weld power and provide favors to special interests groups that fund their campaigns. Why would these political power brokers have any incentive to give away that power by simplifying the tax code?

bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,702,134 times
Be that as it may....

There are an increasingly large number of self-centered cretins seeking every possible means of evading with impunity their financial obligation to the society that furnishes, fosters, maintains and safeguards the monetary system, the commercial marketplace, the labor marketplace and the investment marketplace from which they derive their ability to pay their way and secure their future. Surely not all but at least some of the complex aspects of the system itself, some of which reflected in the tax code, is a reasonable and responsible response to such scurrilous intentions.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:18 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,774 times
Quote:
Weird, I was just thinking about this yesterday.

The papers and forms that you have when you prepare your taxes The IRS has those too. So why can't they fill it out and just send you a bill? Or a check if you qualify for a refund. Maybe also with a form to fill out and send back if you have any deductions but otherwise all you have to do is pay the check.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:23 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,160,554 times
The complexity hides the advantages to those wealthy enough to know the loopholes.

I totally agree w/ the OP in that it should be a simple process.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Weird, I was just thinking about this yesterday.

The papers and forms that you have when you prepare your taxes The IRS has those too. So why can't they fill it out and just send you a bill? Or a check if you qualify for a refund. Maybe also with a form to fill out and send back if you have any deductions but otherwise all you have to do is pay the check.
Because that is not their job........nor, do I want it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies