Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,760,781 times

Advertisements

All the Liberals point to Canada as their prime example of how a country should be governed, with their gun bans and national health care... yet ignore that Canadians are required to have ID to vote!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 10:55 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,422,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And this is a decent criticism. Most of the criticisms on this topic generally are 'but conservatives think....'. But this is a actual issue.

But of those voting, how many are actually effected by the issue? Probably not that many. So don't think that means the entire concept of voter ID needs to be thrown away.

But I agree, all people who are citizens should have the right to vote, regardless of financial status. Perhaps the law shouldn't be retroactive, or at least not to a certain point? Those born during the Jim Crow era, when birth certificates for black Americans were no made (I actually have never heard of this, so if it's not even true, disregard what I'm saying).

And you say many can't afford birth certificates. I assume you mean they can't afford to get the copy, since the birth certificate surely still exists.

So perhaps their are many ways to get the ID, aside from just birth certificate? I should also say that getting a copy of the certificate usually costs less that $100, it can be as low as $20 I believe. I know it's hard for some to make ends meet, but surely many could afford a one time payment such as that?

I don't want to alienate anyone from voting. But ID laws can help in many areas, particularly with illegal immigrants voting. I support people's right to immigrate, but to just show up isn't ok if you want to enjoy the rights and privileges that come with legal immigration.
Then after they pay the $20 and jump through all the other hoops put up by the Republicans they can go vote on a voting machine with no paper trail that's been rigged by a crooked programmer to make the other guy win

Old 03-28-2015, 10:58 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
No objection to voter ID here, provided it's implemented in such a way that people who are legally entitled to vote can get the required documentation together in a reasonable timeframe and with no expense.

We have much bigger voting issues though. Like reduced voting hours, voting machines being directed away from (D) cities and into (R) suburbs, and making it difficult or impossible for students to establish residency. Of course, we don't have a never-ending stream of whining on C-D about those things because they're designed to help Republicans get elected.

It should be easy to establish eligibility and easy to vote once eligibility has been established. Republicans, of course, have no interest in that. They know they can't win if everyone who is entitled to vote actually can vote.

Old 03-28-2015, 10:59 AM

2,240 posts, read 1,381,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Then after they pay the $20 and jump through all the other hoops put up by the Republicans they can go vote on a voting machine with no paper trail that's been rigged by a crooked programmer to make the other guy win
What other hoops have repubs put up to keep folks from voting? I'll wait patiently. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:05 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
What other hoops have repubs put up to keep folks from voting? I'll wait patiently. Thank you.
1) Reduced early voting
2) Barring students from voting where they attend school
3) Eliminating polling places from college campuses
4) Starving urban precincts of voting machines and sending them to the suburbs instead, causing extremely long lines in Democratic-leaning precincts and keeping people from voting. People who have to work for a living can't spend 10 hours standing in line just because some Republican on an election board decided their precinct shouldn't have enough voting machines.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What mmmjv is not telling you is that the reason conservatives objected to what was going on then is because the Democrats only wanted recounts in counties where their candidate was leading. They showed no interest in making sure every vote was correctly counted in the Republican counties, only the Democrat majority counties.

So his post here is a false strawman argument.
We were not asking for recounts only in certain areas. We were saying that it was very suspicious that those Diebold machines had no paper trail, especially considering the very close ties of it's then President, Wally 0'Dell, to the Bush campaign.

In various forums after the 2004 election, I don't know if I was here at the time, I said over and over and over again that that kind of system just cries out for fraud, that there should be a paper trail so that you could have a recount. The way it was then, and still is unless they all have paper trails, the programmer can program the machine any way he damn well pleases. Every single time I bought that up i was laughed at and sneered at by righties and accused of being a sore loser. So don't ****ing try and tell me you righties give a rats ass about protecting the vote.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-29-2015 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: language

Old 03-28-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Voter ID is bad because Democrats know they can't cheat if its the law. Thats why their so against it. They must cheat to win close elections.
The next thing will be electronic voting, that wil be a Democrat dream, because Democrats know they can control that all they want
Then why are you righties against voting machines having a paper trail which would help to prevent election fraud?

Old 03-28-2015, 11:09 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No objection to voter ID here, provided it's implemented in such a way that people who are legally entitled to vote can get the required documentation together in a reasonable timeframe and with no expense.

We have much bigger voting issues though. Like reduced voting hours, voting machines being directed away from (D) cities and into (R) suburbs, and making it difficult or impossible for students to establish residency. Of course, we don't have a never-ending stream of whining on C-D about those things because they're designed to help Republicans get elected.

It should be easy to establish eligibility and easy to vote once eligibility has been established. Republicans, of course, have no interest in that. They know they can't win if everyone who is entitled to vote actually can vote.
Bingo, and that is the real issue. This is more important to helping Republicans win elections than trying to prevent any in person vote fraud that isn't an actual issue.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:14 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,076,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeniVidiVici View Post
Why ask why? You need an id to rent a hotel room or get onboard of a commercial plane, why asking for an id at voting booths present such a huge problem?
Why not require an ID when registering to vote? Seems right wingers have no problem with letting illegals register to vote so they can claim illegals can vote.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Not all folks, just ones most likely to vote Democrat

Let's start with two colleges in I think South Carolina, though it may be North Carolina. Both had places right on the campus where the students could vote. One is a black college, take a wild guess who they're most likely to vote for. The other is a conservative christian college, take a wild guess who they're more likely to vote for. The students at the conservative college can still vote on campus. The students at the black college who are more likely to vote Democrat? The place where they have to go to vote is a mile away, there is no public transportation going there, and the only way to get there is via a highway with no sidewalk. And I don't have the exact numbers but this place also has way too few voting machines thus ensuring very long lines
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies