Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think Sexual Orientation is a Case of "Nature" or "Nurture?"
Nature 72 58.54%
Nurture 16 13.01%
A Bit of Both 37 30.08%
I'm Not Sure 2 1.63%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3 2.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 04:37 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,255,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Excuse me? I have been around animals all my life as well, do you know that they like to eat their OWN and often other animals feces?
I've heard there are websites where you can find people doing that too.

Seriously though I'm not contending that ALL animal behaviors are exhibited in humans, just that many so-called "human" behaviors are not really strictly human and probably have their roots in our animal past.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Humans eat other humans all the time.
You did not just say that! Strictly metaphorically speaking, I hope!!

Old 01-17-2008, 05:06 PM

32,606 posts, read 77,374,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You did not just say that! Strictly metaphorically speaking, I hope!!
Mmmm....Rosie O'Donnell....tastes like chicken!

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,537,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I have spent many years first feeling like ending my life for being a "mistake" of God for having this "affliction" of an alternative sexual orientation, but I have since become a vociferous advocate for gay rights.

With that vignette out of the way, let me now address the issue at hand. I see a lot of right-wingers on this forum proudly spewing out comments like "If you want to get married, then marry a woman," or "Being gay is a choice." These statements obviously make the assumption that sexual orientations can be changed in similar fashion to a muddied pair of jeans or traded like baseball cards.

I myself have spent years struggling through prayer to "cure" myself to no avail. I spent three years lonesome and depressed, thinking that if I had removed myself from personal relationships for long enough that I'd lose my "gay disease." That never occurred. I had no trouble finding female suitors in the past and attempted to "change" my sexual orientation by taking them out on dates, listening to them talk about their hopes and dreams in life, etc., but I just ended up with more close friends who I had no romantic interest in. At least one year ago another well-respected moderator (I'll just say that he's a male) sent me a link to a Christian fundamentalist camp in either KY or TN that claimed it could "cure" people of being gay. I investigated this claim but then saw a documentary about similar camps, and the people they interviewed who claimed to be "healed" were downright creepy; they almost seemed emotionless, barely blinked, and I got the definite sense that they were simply adhering to social mores as opposed to living life as they were intended to. "Brainwashing" would be an accurate assessment in my eyes.

It is my personal belief that there is some sort of genetic and/or biological reason that determines one's sexual orientation. Little is still known about the Human Genome Project, and they may someday find that there is something in an individual that designates one's sexual orientation---just as with eye color, foot length, melanin levels, etc. If there is apparently no justifiable way to alter one's sexual orientation, then what else could explain this?

What do others think? Please discuss below. As I always I welcome the comments of right-wingers who disagree with me (Silas, Spunky, etc.), and I'd please ask left-wingers to not openly-attack them for their beliefs, even if they are unpopular in a nation that is (thankfully) starting to become more tolerant and less inclined to ready the pitchforks. As a die-hard left-winger myself, I'm often amazed at how venomous my fellow liberals (who will likely vote for "nature") become against the often softer-spoken conservatives (who will likely vote for "nurture").

I should also mention the following:

"Nature"---You believe there is some biological, genetic, etc. influence beyond one's control that causes one to become attracted to members of the opposite (or same) gender.

"Nurture"---You believe that societal/environmental influences determine one's sexual orientation. It is possible for someone to choose to be gay/lesbian based upon what they've been exposed to in life.
I believe it can be either. In some cases people may be born with that predisposition. At others people may have the capacity, for lack or a better way of saying it, to change their preference.
One example my daughter and I were talking about the other day is Meredith Baxter-Birney. My daughter said she saw her on TV saying that she has had bad luck with guys so she must be lesbian. What?
There are people that do gain a disdain for the opposite gender for different reasons. An example that may not be a great one but I believe it could happen in sexual preference. A a young kid I would not to eat onions. I hated them. However in time little by little I liked them and now I love them. Why is it not possible for sexual prefernce to change in time for whatever reason? Do humans only change preferences in taste but it is impossible in sexual preference? Why not be open to that possiblity?
However, as I stated some may be born that way and that is also very possible as far as I am concerned, take care.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:59 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
I have spent many years first feeling like ending my life for being a "mistake" of God for having this "affliction" of an alternative sexual orientation, but I have since become a vociferous advocate for gay rights.

With that vignette out of the way, let me now address the issue at hand. I see a lot of right-wingers on this forum proudly spewing out comments like "If you want to get married, then marry a woman," or "Being gay is a choice." These statements obviously make the assumption that sexual orientations can be changed in similar fashion to a muddied pair of jeans or traded like baseball cards.

I myself have spent years struggling through prayer to "cure" myself to no avail. I spent three years lonesome and depressed, thinking that if I had removed myself from personal relationships for long enough that I'd lose my "gay disease." That never occurred. I had no trouble finding female suitors in the past and attempted to "change" my sexual orientation by taking them out on dates, listening to them talk about their hopes and dreams in life, etc., but I just ended up with more close friends who I had no romantic interest in. At least one year ago another well-respected moderator (I'll just say that he's a male) sent me a link to a Christian fundamentalist camp in either KY or TN that claimed it could "cure" people of being gay. I investigated this claim but then saw a documentary about similar camps, and the people they interviewed who claimed to be "healed" were downright creepy; they almost seemed emotionless, barely blinked, and I got the definite sense that they were simply adhering to social mores as opposed to living life as they were intended to. "Brainwashing" would be an accurate assessment in my eyes.

It is my personal belief that there is some sort of genetic and/or biological reason that determines one's sexual orientation. Little is still known about the Human Genome Project, and they may someday find that there is something in an individual that designates one's sexual orientation---just as with eye color, foot length, melanin levels, etc. If there is apparently no justifiable way to alter one's sexual orientation, then what else could explain this?

What do others think? Please discuss below. As I always I welcome the comments of right-wingers who disagree with me (Silas, Spunky, etc.), and I'd please ask left-wingers to not openly-attack them for their beliefs, even if they are unpopular in a nation that is (thankfully) starting to become more tolerant and less inclined to ready the pitchforks. As a die-hard left-winger myself, I'm often amazed at how venomous my fellow liberals (who will likely vote for "nature") become against the often softer-spoken conservatives (who will likely vote for "nurture").

"Nature"---You believe there is some biological, genetic, etc. influence beyond one's control that causes one to become attracted to members of the opposite (or same) gender.

"Nurture"---You believe that societal/environmental influences determine one's sexual orientation. It is possible for someone to choose to be gay/lesbian based upon what they've been exposed to in life.
I think you have judged right wingers all as a group and that is totally unfair. Yes, there are a handful the beleive sexual orientation is a choice and I know a fee of them, but please do not lump us all together, anymore than we should lump any other group together.

Now, to answer your question: this is only an opinion and we all know there is still no cut and dry proof as to why some are homosexual while the majority of the world is not. I believe it is a combinaltion. I am judging my views on what I have seen and know about friends and family members that are not straight. I think there is a genetic link, but I also think something triggers the that link or whatever we want to call it. NO, I do not believe people choose to be gay or lesbian.

Nita

Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM

28,355 posts, read 16,288,985 times
My next-door neighbor is gay and is an identical twin. His brother is not - so I would definitely say some of both.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:05 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,895,621 times
Nurture

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,600,779 times
Quote:

Does it really matter?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:21 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,063,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
My next-door neighbor is gay and is an identical twin. His brother is not - so I would definitely say some of both.
Identical twin studies can be very interesting.

If one identical twin is gay, the other is gay about 50% of the time.
If one identical twin has juvenile diabetes, the other has juvenile diabetes about 50% of the time.
If one identical twin is left-handed, the other is left-handed about 75% of the time.
If one identical twin has bipolar disorder, the other had bipolar disorder about 80% of the time.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:24 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,339,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Homosexual behavior IS present in animals, but it has generally only been observed when animals are taken out of their habitats and thrown harsh, crowded conditions, such as a zoo, where their natural instincts are pretty well stifled. Much like a city, if you think about it.
No, it has been quite well documented in the natural habitat.
Read:
Amazon.com: Biological Exuberance: Animal Homosexuality and Natural Diversity (9780312192396): Bruce Bagemihl: Books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies