Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 01:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I don't know who you think you are convincing here. Did you not see the law Pence just signed? That's the Tea Party and they are thrilled beyond words at a law that goes after gays. They are pushing it in Georgia and Arkansas too.

Washington State passed gay marriage by vote. VOTE. No matter what the right wing does, they can't put their taint on us.
So what you're admitting, no matter what they do, its immaterial to the discussion, which makes me wonder why the hell you keep talking about them so much, considering they hold the EXACT same position obama did just a few years ago..

The COURTS have decided, and will continue to decide, and it was Republicans who went to court to remove DADT and it was Obama, who opposed its removal.

YOU cant taint the facts no matter how hard you try by bringing up people that are immaterial to the discussion.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
Arabs who have multiple wives, can't go to Arizona and force the people of Arizona to accept their definition of marriage or love and put it in their state constitution or law and find a federal activist judge to overturn the will of the people of Arizona.....that is not conservative.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:37 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont know if thats true.

Democrats flip flop constantly. They were opposed to gay marriage until the courts started ruling restrictions against it unconstitutional, and then the Democrats now jumped on the "lets support it", so they can attempt to take credit for its legalization, despite their opposition.

Its not that many were quieted, its that they have no standards and will flip flop on a dime to whatever the current wind blowing.

Kirsten nails it better than I can:

The Silencing: How the Left is Killing Free Speech

In The Silencing, Kirsten Powers, herself a proud liberal--but from a far more tolerant Jeffersonian tradition--exposes the illiberal left. You'll learn:
  • Why the illiberal left has become an Orwellian "big brother," policing what it deems acceptable speech and opinions
  • How the illiberal left is obsessed with delegitimizing Fox News
  • How illiberal left pundits--even self-proclaimed "feminists" (and Powers names names)--engage in outrageously misogynistic and sexist dismissals of their female opponents
  • How illiberal colleges and universities limit freedom of expression to tightly regulated "free speech zones" and ban speakers (even liberals) with whom the illiberal left disagrees
  • How "truth" matters little to the illiberal left, for whom ideology is everything
  • How is it that liberalism, once associated with open-mindedness and reason, has become a vehicle for irrational prejudice, ideological conformity, and the marginalization and punishment of alternative opinions? Kirsten Powers chronicles this troubling trend in perhaps the most important--and chilling--political book of the year.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:41 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
WISH2006:

You can't have the federal government dictating the people of the states any cultural change......defining the definition of marriage to include gay marriage or Polygamy should be decided by the people of the states not a few activist judges in the federal government.

If you are a true conservative then you would understand this.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:46 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
LOL, Hellion1999, government licensing marriages is about $, not culture. Rights in divorce -Split up assets, survivor SS, more favorable treatment of Health Insurance for non-employed spouses, etc.

IMO there should not be any financial benefits for marriage , of any kind. Spousal and children's employer portion of Health Insurance should be fully taxable as a gift to the employee. SS should be solely based on personal W2 earnings.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
The Tea Party does not support gay marriage! Read redstate, read hotair, these right wingers hate gays something fierce! They are the Tea Party and they hate hate hate!!! They call them sodo&m%sts and that's mild. Do you seriously think you will ever convince the American voter that the Tea Party supports gays? You have got to be kidding. I read those blogs every day to remind myself how evil these people are and if you read them a while, you get to know the posters. These people are frightening.
You take that video from ProgressOhio, a set of haters in their own right.

There is zero proof that the man has Parkinson's. Should he be believed just because he says he does?

The tea party movement is not about social issues, it is about fiscal issues. It grew out the outlandish spending in 2009 with no end in sight. Here are some of the major tea party movement groups (there is no "Tea Party"), show me their social issue positions.

Tea Party Patriots
Tea Party Platform
Tea Party Express
National Tea Party Federation

After the success of the tea party movement in 2010 to wrest control of the House from Nancy Pelosi the Democrat attack machine went into full gear.

The Democrats used the IRS to delay, suppress and intimidate new tea party movements from starting to harass and intimidate old tea party contributors.

The Democrats went to their willing allies in the media and leveled the kind of scurrilous accusations you did and never got called on it, the media just passed it through.

Then the crazy, crazy Democrat left like DailyKos, ThinkProgress, MediaMatters, etc went into full attack mode and get mindless drones to carry water for them on sights like this.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:48 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
I absolutely love stories like that and mid-80s? Awesome! I bet they are far more happy and healthy too.

There is a town in Washington State, on the Olympic Peninsula, called Port Townsend. It is sort of a hippie enclave of liberal retirees. There is nothing political about it when you visit, they are just fun and charming, everything about it is likeable and happy. That's where I'd want to go.
I spent a month in Port Townsend last fall. I agree, it's a great place. I look forward to going back. And you are right about my parents. They lead an aerobics class at the crack of dawn every morning and there are 20 year olds who have a hard time keeping up with them. They're in better shape than most of their grandkids.

They see how hard their grandchildren have it laboring under oppressive student loans without the good paying job opportunities they had in their youth. It infuriates them to watch all those whiny old Tea Party goats demanding the government keep it's hands off their benefits while they protest against things that will benefit the generations behind them, like the ACA and student loan forgiveness. The Tea Party is an embarrassment to them--as they are to all thinking Americans.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
LOL, Hellion1999, government licensing marriages is about $, not culture. Rights in divorce -Split up assets, survivor SS, more favorable treatment of Health Insurance for non-employed spouses, etc.
So help me here..... marriage started in what? The 1930's then? Because isn't that when Social Security started?

I could have sworn I read about people getting married long before that because family was one of the basic building blocks of society and marriage was one of the tools for civilizing man.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
WISH2006:

You can't have the federal government dictating the people of the states any cultural change......defining the definition of marriage to include gay marriage or Polygamy should be decided by the people of the states not a few activist judges in the federal government.

If you are a true conservative then you would understand this.
As a conservative, I believe just the opposite.

The Declaration of Independence includes a right to pursuit happiness, and for many, marriage is a manner in which happiness is pursued.

Conservatives in my mind, are all about expanding peoples ability to choose for themselves, not creating limits because you dont find them acceptable.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So what you're admitting, no matter what they do, its immaterial to the discussion, which makes me wonder why the hell you keep talking about them so much, considering they hold the EXACT same position obama did just a few years ago..

The COURTS have decided, and will continue to decide, and it was Republicans who went to court to remove DADT and it was Obama, who opposed its removal.

YOU cant taint the facts no matter how hard you try by bringing up people that are immaterial to the discussion.
Let's talk about DADT. Log Cabin Republicans did sue for its removal. Log Cabin Republicans are a small group of used and abused gay Republicans. They won the case and Obama happily signed:

"Obama had said he long wanted to repeal "don't ask, don't tell," and had reached an agreement with then-Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, the previous chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, on a process that included a military review of how to make a successful transition to openly gay and lesbian soldiers serving.
" Appeals court suspends enforcement of 'don't ask, don't tell' policy - CNN.com

However, there are still Republicans who want to reinstate DADT:
Top House Republican Supports Reinstating 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' If GOP Wins In November | ThinkProgress

Now let's talk about the Defense Marriage Act:

Obama is the one who no longer wanted to fund the Defense of Marriage Act. Republicans took up the fight of pursuing DOMA. You can't say Republicans support gay marriage when they were the ones who pursued the DOMA and have made anti-gay marriage part of their platform.

DOMA: House Republicans Poised To Spend $3 Million On Legal Defense

Democrats have publicly supported gay marriage for going on four years. They did it before the 2012 election, thus giving the country the chance to know and disagree. Republicans took and still take the opposite view.

Even today, Republicans very publicly do not support gays or gay marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies