Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Approve of Television's Promotion of the LGBT Community?
Yes 17 62.96%
No 6 22.22%
I'm Not Sure 2 7.41%
Other (Please Specify Below) 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:54 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,873,308 times

Advertisements

Since Ellen Degeneres is now more popular than Oprah I think we will finally
see more Gay people on tv! With BET and Spanish TV I am wondering why
there is no cable channel devoted just to Gays. Just think of the entertainment options: Art shows, Broadway musicals, old movies, Gomer Pyle, The Brady Bunch, Bewitched, Rock Hudson movies, Doctor Kildare with Richard Chamberlain, I Love Lucy, etc....Gays have and will continue to be a big part of televisions' history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 06:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,136,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
I am wondering why
there is no cable channel devoted just to Gays.
There is. It's called LOGO. They've got some interesting programming on the channel, really.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:07 PM

739 posts, read 2,179,459 times
I gave up television 20 years ago so I don't know what's on it. That being said, I'd be pleased to learn there are positive images of gay people. I'm a straight male, just wandered into this thread by accident, but I'm for whatever makes a more open, tolerant culture and promotes that all people have value.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:38 PM

20,250 posts, read 19,821,292 times
Frankly, I have no interest in what consenting adults do with their genitals or anyone else's.

TV holds no value to me in that department. I use it solely as an entertainment and casual learning tool.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,905,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Since Ellen Degeneres is now more popular than Oprah I think we will finally
see more Gay people on tv! With BET and Spanish TV I am wondering why
there is no cable channel devoted just to Gays. Just think of the entertainment options: Art shows, Broadway musicals, old movies, Gomer Pyle, The Brady Bunch, Bewitched, Rock Hudson movies, Doctor Kildare with Richard Chamberlain, I Love Lucy, etc....Gays have and will continue to be a big part of televisions' history!
many movie stars of the past were homosexual.. but were unable to be open about it because of society.. I don't think there's any shows the force anything down anyone's throat.. because you've got the clicker... you hold the power...I think that television changes with society.. and they wouldn't put such shows in prime time if they weren't successful... perhaps its a wakeup call for many who do not acknowlege the change in attitudes towards the LGBT community... if you are on a wacked out jesus kick and wish to impose false doctrines of hate... you're becoming a minority very quick...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:13 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
There is. It's called LOGO. They've got some interesting programming on the channel, really.
Not here in the west

Old 01-20-2008, 10:23 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,905,698 times
LOGO is here in boise...

Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 PM

112 posts, read 179,801 times
Yeah here in CT we have Logo and Here! tv on demand..

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,577,661 times
The more "normal" it becomes to us ( as I believe it is ) the better. Time for a bit of balance and honesty and for people to feel comfortable enough to be who they are and not be afraid to come out of the closet.

For once I believe TV has made a valuable contribution in normalising Gay people and showing them for what they are. Normal human beings with the same emotions, feelings and as no better or worse than Heterosexuals.

I want to see more story lines where Gay people are seen to live exactly the same lives we do , including humdrums existence of supermarket shopping and car washing on a Sunday morning.
Where being Gay does not necessarily mean looking and sounding Camp ( nothing worng with that either, but a bit of a cliche, some of my Gay friends are pretty butch !).

I know it upsets bigots and so called Christians ( fundies anyway) but that's their problem.
We need to be inclusive as a society and stop treating people with different lifestyles as freaks or perverts.

People are people and I just hope that a day will come when nobody will bat an eyelid because a man holds another man's hand in the street...

It should have happened decades ago. It's not like Gay people have just sprouted out of the earth as a different species. Homosexuality and Bisexuality have been with us since the dawn of mankind. The fact that we have been bothered enough to terrify and intimidate people into hiding their true selves for millennia is to me a sad indictment on our society. We have encouraged human misery and for what ? Because some feel uncomfortable in the presence of something they don't approve of ?

Time for the bigots and fundies to grow up and start living in the adult real world. A world where love and affection should not be seen as more offensive than poverty , famine or war.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:32 AM

9,877 posts, read 10,788,675 times
I am still trying to figure out what the LGBT is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies