Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 09:16 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,611,062 times

Advertisements

I had a discussion with several of my friends last night, and couple of them believe that a true libertarian will not support gay marriage.

reasons are

"All told, when one honestly looks at what’s being done in the name of equality, supporting gay marriage turns out not to be very libertarian after all, but is actually very totalitarian when put to practice. The homosexual agenda turns out not to be about liberty, but instead is revealed to be just one more way for the state to control you and circumvent your rights.

Protecting someone’s choice to engage in certain behaviors, and forcing others to affirm and support those behaviors against their will, are two dangerously different things.

Instead, let us propose an alternative view. It would be a far more “libertarian” question to ask why all marriage is illegal by default – that is, until we pay the state for a “license” to wed.
Until those fundamental questions are resolved, it doesn’t matter if we argue for or against same-sex unions.

Still Support Gay Marriage? How Un-Libertarian of You | DontComply.com

I tend to agree with the above article. I am all for gay marriage because I don't think gay marriage will harm anybody. I do however, believe a business owner has the right to NOT bake a gay wedding cake for the homosexual couples SIMPLY because of personal liberty and religious freedom.

Gay Rights: What exactly is A Libertarian Approach?

Does a true Libertarian support gay rights and gay marriage?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 09:32 AM

677 posts, read 653,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I tend to agree with the above article. I am all for gay marriage because I don't think gay marriage will harm anybody. I do however, believe a business owner has the right to NOT bake a gay wedding cake for the homosexual couples SIMPLY because of personal liberty and religious freedom.
Do you believe a busess owner should have the right to NOT bake a wedding cake for a black or interracial couple because it violated his religious beliefs?

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM

31,068 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
Do you believe a busess owner should have the right to NOT bake a wedding cake for a black or interracial couple because it violated his religious beliefs?
I would think a Pure Libertarian would personally be ok with gay marriage but would support anyone elses right to discriminate based on any reason they choose

Old 03-30-2015, 09:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:

You'd be surprised. Many Libertarians actually disagree with such concepts as equality and the equal protection clause/non-discrimination laws. Despite the fact that such things actually help the economy and the "market" function properly.

That rep from Oklahoma had the right thought: If you're going to make these idiotic "freedom to discriminate" laws, then there should be clear notice to the public required for any business that wishes to take advantage of the law. The general public should know - going in - that this is a store that will discriminate. That way, they can choose whether or not they are going to spend money at that store -- at all.

Gay people can steer clear not only when looking to buy a wedding cake, but also when looking to buy a birthday cake or a dozen cookies.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I would think a Pure Libertarian would personally be ok with gay marriage but would support anyone elses right to discriminate based on any reason they choose
lol

Old 03-30-2015, 09:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,284,457 times
Quote:
I had a discussion with several of my friends last night, and couple of them believe that a true libertarian will not support gay marriage.

reasons are

"All told, when one honestly looks at what’s being done in the name of equality, supporting gay marriage turns out not to be very libertarian after all, but is actually very totalitarian when put to practice. The homosexual agenda turns out not to be about liberty, but instead is revealed to be just one more way for the state to control you and circumvent your rights.

Protecting someone’s choice to engage in certain behaviors, and forcing others to affirm and support those behaviors against their will, are two dangerously different things.

Instead, let us propose an alternative view. It would be a far more “libertarian†question to ask why all marriage is illegal by default – that is, until we pay the state for a “license†to wed.
Until those fundamental questions are resolved, it doesn’t matter if we argue for or against same-sex unions.

Still Support Gay Marriage? How Un-Libertarian of You | DontComply.com

Gay Rights: What exactly is A Libertarian Approach?

Does a true Libertarian support gay rights and gay marriage?

Thanks
Yes, they do support it. The problem is a lot of people seem to associate Libertarianism with supporting a lot of Republican viewpoints. About the only area they really agree with them on is economics. The majority of things that Libertarians support are not things that the Republican party supports or agrees with.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Honestly, if somebody refuse to do business with me simply because I am mixed (White/Asian) I will just take my business elsewhere.

But I will certainly share my experience on social media network. Seem fair.

Like I posted earlier in another forum,

Freedom, in our understanding, implies also the freedom to be wrong. Bigotry and prejudice, so long as they do not involve coercion, must also be tolerated.

Canadian libertarian gay activist and poet, Ian Young pointed out a long time ago, A more effective way to deal with this problem is through gay self-help: direct action, when the need arises, by means of negotiation, picketing, boycott, etc.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yes, they do support it. The problem is a lot of people seem to associate Libertarianism with supporting a lot of Republican viewpoints. About the only area they really agree with them on is economics. The majority of things that Libertarians support are not things that the Republican party supports or agrees with.
I would agree with that. I always believe Libertarians support gay marriage.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:51 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Honestly, if somebody refuse to do business with me simply because I am mixed (White/Asian) I will just take my business elsewhere.

But I will certainly share my experience on social media network. Seem fair.

Like I posted earlier in another forum,

Freedom, in our understanding, implies also the freedom to be wrong. Bigotry ad prejudice, so long as they do not involve coercion, must also be tolerated.

Canadian libertarian gay activist and poet, Ian Young pointed out a long time ago, A more effective way to deal with this problem is through gay self-help: direct action, when the need arises, by means of negotiation, picketing, boycott, etc.
I don't think that kind of discrimination (refusing to do business due to race) occurs very often anymore.
Being of another race is not viewed as immoral in any religion that I know of. Certain behaviors, though, are viewed differently.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
Funny how any and all 'libertarian' principles just happen to favor straight white christian males.

I'm sure it's a coincidence. Couldn't possibly be a bunch of angry white males wrapping their bigotry in lofty freedom-language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies