Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 10:36 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

Men have eaten meat fem the dawn of time ,get over it.
I do however object to eating chicken that the bones are broken as a result of bad butchering practices.
I butcher chicken my self as well as other age animals and I am always looking for better ways to do the job more swift and thoughtful .
The funnel jacket is probably the best to date , there is no flailing and the bird is calm during the event, being head down.
One thing I recommend though ,i that if your eating some where and the bones are broken , make the manager aware of that fact and that it is evident that that bird was stomped to death not butchered humanely . the source for the bird should be noted and when it maters to customers it matters to the distributer. and if the supplier does noting to change it's procedures they will loose customers .
But if you say nothing and continue to patronize the same place with the same practices, nothing will be done you get what you ask/pay for . If they are making an effort to find a better supplier give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know you are still observing .
Good hunters are determined to take game in one shot ,not because they are lazy but the fact the one shot has done the job successfully means the harvest went down with the least of pain .
Dad taught me (whether it's true or not ) that animals that run after being shot, have a lot more adrenaline in their system and it tends to taint the meat.
All the more reason to make disciplined single shot quick drop harvests, as much as possible .
There are amino acids one gets from meat that do not come from vegetables, and for that matter vegetation is living tissue as well. Some even respond to human interaction even to music. though it hasn't a voice nor sight does not make it less living . our bodies live on living tissue , the greatest problems come from over cooking it and feeding our salves dead tissue that turns to sludge.
Those the have gone to the fresh food diet have normalized their body weight and their organs functions return to normal some even have no more diabetes .
If you put old dead gas in your car, the engine cannot run on it and the vehicle is dead.
Your body is no different , it needs living tissue for energy, that's why junk food isn't food at all.
Since i was a kid , I discovered that eating cooked oatmeal didn't give me energy till noon, it failed at about 10:am; and by eating UNCOOKED oat meal, like cold cereal, it lasted well into noon and sometimes longer. Living fuel.
Meats are the same thing over cooked meats are dead tissue , almost no food value =no energy.
Fresh meats, not over cooked, provide energy. I've proven it on my self many times.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:08 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Vegans can be very pushy people. It's not good enough that they don't eat meat, many of them feel they have to badger others in to not eating it as well. Some even going so far as to suggest there ought to be laws to that effect. You don't hear meat eaters going around trying to pressure people in to eating more meat. Well...except perhaps a butcher who isn't getting much business.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Chickens in Slaughterhouses routinely tortured and abused...

I like vegetables but I was also raised on the flesh of animals and at this point I may eat more vegetables than ever, because I really do enjoy, like, and appreciate the nutrition I receive. But in the end I believe I will continue to eat the flesh of animals.

Perhaps the chicken slaughtering business needs the help of Dr. Temple Grandin.

Dr. Temple Grandin speaks on the subject of "Humane Animal Handling & Slaughter" at the Canadian Coalition for Farm Animals' conference on "Delivering Humane Food in Canada," on October 24th, 2006. Dr. Grandin is the world's foremost designer of humane slaughterhouse systems, and is also a high-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoNErsJNPzw

Old 04-01-2015, 11:49 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Men have eaten meat fem the dawn of time ,get over it.
I do however object to eating chicken that the bones are broken as a result of bad butchering practices.
I butcher chicken my self as well as other age animals and I am always looking for better ways to do the job more swift and thoughtful .
The funnel jacket is probably the best to date , there is no flailing and the bird is calm during the event, being head down.
One thing I recommend though ,i that if your eating some where and the bones are broken , make the manager aware of that fact and that it is evident that that bird was stomped to death not butchered humanely . the source for the bird should be noted and when it maters to customers it matters to the distributer. and if the supplier does noting to change it's procedures they will loose customers .
But if you say nothing and continue to patronize the same place with the same practices, nothing will be done you get what you ask/pay for . If they are making an effort to find a better supplier give them the benefit of the doubt and let them know you are still observing .
Good hunters are determined to take game in one shot ,not because they are lazy but the fact the one shot has done the job successfully means the harvest went down with the least of pain .
Dad taught me (whether it's true or not ) that animals that run after being shot, have a lot more adrenaline in their system and it tends to taint the meat.
All the more reason to make disciplined single shot quick drop harvests, as much as possible .
There are amino acids one gets from meat that do not come from vegetables, and for that matter vegetation is living tissue as well. Some even respond to human interaction even to music. though it hasn't a voice nor sight does not make it less living . our bodies live on living tissue , the greatest problems come from over cooking it and feeding our salves dead tissue that turns to sludge.
Those the have gone to the fresh food diet have normalized their body weight and their organs functions return to normal some even have no more diabetes .
If you put old dead gas in your car, the engine cannot run on it and the vehicle is dead.
Your body is no different , it needs living tissue for energy, that's why junk food isn't food at all.
Since i was a kid , I discovered that eating cooked oatmeal didn't give me energy till noon, it failed at about 10:am; and by eating UNCOOKED oat meal, like cold cereal, it lasted well into noon and sometimes longer. Living fuel.
Meats are the same thing over cooked meats are dead tissue , almost no food value =no energy.
Fresh meats, not over cooked, provide energy. I've proven it on my self many times.
Great post!!!!

This is off topic but, some people feel baiting to hunt deer/bear is wrong.

Baiting increases the likelihood of a "clean one shot kill" and the chance of killing the wrong animal is much less.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:52 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Slaughter houses are staffed by an ...undesirable..type of people, and I will leave the details of that for another conversation. I have raised my own meat, most of my life, and though my ranch days are gone, at the moment, I still have access to ranch meat. Bjtcbering chicken was never my favorite chore, I'd rather do beef or pork, or harvest wild game. The latter is actually the cleanest method of obtaining good meat and poultry. To my mind, also , the most "humane", but I prefer the term "honorable".

I'm not a fan of these anti meat types shock tactics, and I will eat meat as long as I have a need to eat. "Meat is murder" and other such colorful quips be damned. Vegans can eat all the raw rabbit food they like, and recognize , that I can eat the rabbits AND the veggies, because I have that choice. Rabbit is good. Better than chicken. The ranch I utilize for meats also raises these yummy rodents. Lean, clean and healthy meat.

I've heard all the anti meat crowds nasty horror stories about commercial meat, ad nauseum. Fact is, all , large commercial food processing, meat or plants, is nasty. Train and vegetables get mice and rat feces processed in, and the nice and rats themselves, molds and fungi, unpleasant insects and all manner of other flotsam. So, commercial veggieism ain't such a clean dream either.

But, we have gardens, and home raising/butchering of meats to get around that. Although, the Feds are sticking their noses in all that, telling us we can't do so, because these foods are not overseen by them, and are, thus, unsafe. And, who is it that opened that door? That's right, boys and girls, the animal rights/ veggie nut groups. They got the ball rolling, going after home raised meats, setting the USDA and FDA attack dogs loose, never figuring they would go after home gardens as well. Well, dogs have been known to be omniverous.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:10 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times
I read the first 40 or so posts, then decided to jump to the end to ask my question:
Is there anything in the posts I skipped over that will tell me what (if anything) is being done, legislatively or at the grass roots level, to improve the conditions of these animals?

Most of the posts I read got side tracked onto the virtues of vegetarianism, which is not how I wish to eat.

Being originally from Indiana, I am acutely aware of how FAST disgust over Indiana's newly passed RFRA law got national attention and widespread boycotts. There should be widespread disgust and boycotts of any meat companies that are cruel and abusive to the animals being raised.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:15 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Sure there is! It's tasty. Delicious. Savory. Flavorful. Delectable. And Yummy.

I'm curious to know if you are this dedicated to supporting the Human Pro-Life cause, since abortion causes the death of a pre-born human. Or is it just animals you think should not be killed?
I am pro-choice so long as it occurs before the fetus is sentient, which is probably around 20-24 weeks. Sentience is what matters, and a pig is more sentient than a three month fetus.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Do insects fit into this line of logic?
No, at least not for the vast majority of insects. They do not have a CNS and are not conscious, therefore there is no "ghost in the machine."

Old 04-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Vegans can be very pushy people. It's not good enough that they don't eat meat, many of them feel they have to badger others in to not eating it as well. Some even going so far as to suggest there ought to be laws to that effect. You don't hear meat eaters going around trying to pressure people in to eating more meat. Well...except perhaps a butcher who isn't getting much business.
Abolitionists were also pushy people. It wasn't good enough that they didn't have slaves, they felt the needs to badger others in to not having slaves as well. Some even went so far as to suggest that there should be laws to that effect. You didn't hear slave owners going around trying to pressure people into having more slaves.

I could make the same paragraph for women's suffrage pioneers, civil rights pioneers, gay rights activists, etc. This is a moral issue involving a group of organisms with virtually no power. It is not simply enough to say "I'll do me, you do you." You only think that should be the ideal because you have no problem with their exploitation and suffering.

Old 04-01-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I read the first 40 or so posts, then decided to jump to the end to ask my question:
Is there anything in the posts I skipped over that will tell me what (if anything) is being done, legislatively or at the grass roots level, to improve the conditions of these animals?

Most of the posts I read got side tracked onto the virtues of vegetarianism, which is not how I wish to eat.

Being originally from Indiana, I am acutely aware of how FAST disgust over Indiana's newly passed RFRA law got national attention and widespread boycotts. There should be widespread disgust and boycotts of any meat companies that are cruel and abusive to the animals being raised.
Have you watched just about any food documentary? 98% of meat in this country comes from factory farming, and it's safe to say that all of those animals are raised in terrible conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies