Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 02:15 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Abolitionists were also pushy people. It wasn't good enough that they didn't have slaves, they felt the needs to badger others in to not having slaves as well. Some even went so far as to suggest that there should be laws to that effect. You didn't hear slave owners going around trying to pressure people into having more slaves.

I could make the same paragraph for women's suffrage pioneers, civil rights pioneers, gay rights activists, etc. This is a moral issue involving a group of organisms with virtually no power. It is not simply enough to say "I'll do me, you do you." You only think that should be the ideal because you have no problem with their exploitation and suffering.
So...you fancy a society that outlaws eating meat and the raising of meat animals. And this would be a crime punishable by....what? And on what grounds? Not that I can see this ever happening, but the ramifications do make me curious. Hunting of wild meat is also outlawed , by association. The society you envision sounds so ...sanitary. Amongst other things. Everybody wearing white robes and running barefoot.

I'm having a little trouble with the vision...

Last edited by NVplumber; 04-01-2015 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-01-2015, 02:28 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,948,582 times
We're worried about chickens but can't seem to get too worked up about people killing people.

We have people willing to spend untold sums to catch someone banging a chicken against a wall but the thugs who bash people's heads against walls, well, lets not confuse the issue eh?

The root cause to the abuse of chickens isn't the percentage of chicken farms that abuse chickens, it starts with the people who do it and they aren't representative of most.

On the other hand, those that go out of their way to harm or kill other people are representative of certain groups of people.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:25 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
I have not read ANYWHERE in this thread where ANY ONE agrees with needlessly torturing animals.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:32 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bee View Post
Yes, they are raised to be killed, but they can be raised and slaughtered in a humane manner, as can beef cattle, pigs, goats, sheep, and any other animal raised for slaughter. However, factory farming is designed to raise and slaughter animals in the cheapest, most efficient manner, which usually is not the same as humane. And the people who are hired to work in slaughterhouses, to be honest, many to most of them can't get jobs elsewhere (many are illegal aliens, and many are ex convicts), and some of them aren't right in the head, and so, they take pleasure in hurting, needlessly, animals which are about to die.
How many kill plants have YOU been in? The vast majority of the people employed in a kill/slaughter house deal with the animal after they are dead. In a chicken kill plant, due to the process, before anyone touches the bird they have been killed and bled. Not sure where you even get these types of ideas??

Old 04-01-2015, 03:42 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,902,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post

98% of meat in America comes from a factory farm. Factory farms are almost all generally atrocious. Google "factory farming videos" or "factory farming documentaries" and explore.
Most so called "factory farms" are actually privately owned under contract to food companies. They are paid to raise the animals to a certain size which is determined mainly by age. If the animals are abused or generally not taken care of, it shows up in as best bruising or pre-mature death which in either case affects the farmers bottom line as they are paid on a sliding scale based upon expected poundage versus actual. If a farmer under preforms they will lose their contract and be stuck with a minimum investment of almost a half million dollars in houses and equipment and this is a small guy. Most farmers are in at lease a million+.
Not sure exactly what you consider "atrocious" and would be interested to hear your take on this other than looking at some internet propaganda made by some animal right kooks!

Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
So...you fancy a society that outlaws eating meat and the raising of meat animals. And this would be a crime punishable by....what? And on what grounds? Not that I can see this ever happening, but the ramifications do make me curious. Hunting of wild meat is also outlawed , by association. The society you envision sounds so ...sanitary. Amongst other things. Everybody wearing white robes and running barefoot.

I'm having a little trouble with the vision...
Me,me,me (hand waving) I can answer the question!!<bold>

The answer is DEATH!

Old 04-01-2015, 05:25 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I read the first 40 or so posts, then decided to jump to the end to ask my question:
Is there anything in the posts I skipped over that will tell me what (if anything) is being done, legislatively or at the grass roots level, to improve the conditions of these animals?

Most of the posts I read got side tracked onto the virtues of vegetarianism, which is not how I wish to eat.

Being originally from Indiana, I am acutely aware of how FAST disgust over Indiana's newly passed RFRA law got national attention and widespread boycotts. There should be widespread disgust and boycotts of any meat companies that are cruel and abusive to the animals being raised.

Thank you for your question, but as far as I know there is currently no law protecting farm animals from serious abuse.Here is a link to a place trying to help.They are an attorney group.

Farmed Animals and the Law | Animal Legal Defense Fund

Old 04-01-2015, 05:36 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,548,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Vegans can be very pushy people. It's not good enough that they don't eat meat, many of them feel they have to badger others in to not eating it as well. Some even going so far as to suggest there ought to be laws to that effect. You don't hear meat eaters going around trying to pressure people in to eating more meat. Well...except perhaps a butcher who isn't getting much business.

Actually yes there have been people who tried to force me to eat meat. The belief that meat is necessary to get protein is very deeply ingrained in some people here in the US.

I do not want to enter into a deep discussion of how to get your vitamins and nutrients from plants but there are vegan sources that are not widely known that supply what is needed and the rest the body can create itself in ways other than eating meat. The reason some vegetarians may feel weak or not healthy is because it is not always easy to do this but it can be done. It takes more effort but it is rewarding.

Actually I can be just as likely to badger someone over eating junkfood like cakes and cookies than over eating meat lol, but I do not actually go into details of being vegan unless asked.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:45 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Animals eat other animals. Why aren't the vegans whining about this?

Old 04-01-2015, 05:56 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Me,me,me (hand waving) I can answer the question!!<bold>

The answer is DEATH!
OK..yes..you in the back. I see you, go ahead and answer.. Hmmmm...indeed. Death. And subsequent... consumption? Lots of bodies gone missing in hog pens. Natures undertakers. But, if they keep getting fed, they won't go extinct. But..that's another issue.

Ahhh...but SUCH a society, that would be. So sanitary, and ...green. Meh... green ain't my favorite color. Nor is white, with its lack of color. So, what do we do about this abuse of meat animals, such as the chickens, in question here. I do find such things to be quite deplorable. I don't treat my meat animals as pets. They don't get named or fawned over. But nor are they mistreated. Quite the opposite. They are WELL fed and sheltered and at time to go, it is very fast and clean.

If sadistic bastards are being employed by commercial outfits, I do have issue with that. No if actually. It happens. That is an oversight issue, that's supposed to be handled, already. The Feds and State have that job. So...where are they? To busy messing with home raisers and growers to sweat the big money commercial outfits , methinks.

Ohhh..but, if k sell a package of meat to a neighbor, they get wind and descend like ants on a sugar bowl, two by two, that's all. Probably very cited for animal cruelty, in addition to "improperly raised and processed" meat, for "commercial" sale. But , again, its the vegan nut jobs opened that door. Stepped right in it, too. Squish!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies