Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:16 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,260,702 times

Advertisements

Products from animals

Look at a longer list.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:47 PM

23,930 posts, read 32,260,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
An undercover news report shows chickens awaiting slaughter routinely have their wings and legs broken, are not killed by the proper procedure and end up being scalded alive in a pot of boiling water, that they should have already been dead before being put into. This is awful. I cried after reading the details.

I was not always vegetarian as I am now . I did eat chickens. It is okay to kill animals for food but it is not okay to be cruel .They deserve a kind death not a death like that.

Here where I live they have just passed a new measure allowing urban chickens to be raised in a limited basis. I have met chickens in petting zoos and flea market pet shops that are sweet . I have seen cute baby chicks that are curious and friendly. They do not deserve this.

In Raleigh, activists call for more humane poultry slaughter methods | News and Observer News and Observer

Gory Food Service

Employee Describes Deliberate Torture of Chickens at

I am aware of this and greatly disturbed by it, NO CREATURE DESERVES THIS TYPE OF HORRIBLE DEATH!

I have signed several petitions about this.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:01 PM

23,930 posts, read 32,260,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMan7 View Post
While you are entitled to your opinion, the entire world is not ever going to be vegetarian. It's just not going to happen. "Snatching food from mouths of starving babies and feeding it to plump beasts" just wreaks of a whacko off his rocker. Sorry, that just sounds stupid.

A good way to initiate intelligent conversation between the sides, and to change the opinions of others (which most of the vegans/vegetarians I know try to do), is not posting videos and articles of animal torture and writing excerpts about how we're taking food from the hungry and feeding it to animals is a silly and unnecessary way of making your point. All you're doing is encouraging further agreement among people who already agree with you and making the rest of the population roll their eyes at you because you sound so crazy! Articles that rant and rave about how awful humans are for eating animals don't do anything to make me believe otherwise - except that you love to shove the fact that I eat meat in my face. Articles that intelligently discuss the reasons why vegetarianism/veganism are healthier lifestyles catch - and KEEP - my attention much more effectively.

I know plenty of non-meat-eating people, but one thing I don't stand for is unintelligent conversation where an attempt is made for me to feel guilty of the choices I make. Convince me without showing me pictures of dead animals - I've seen it (hundreds of times) - and I get it.

No. The entire world is not going to become vegetarian.

However, if anyone is fine with intentional cruelty towards an animal who's life is about to be taken, they are scary and in league with serial killers. Torture and cruelty towards animals is predictive of brutality towards human beings - along with bed wetting and fire starting.

The post was NOT about "everyone going vegetarian" It was about needless brutality.

Pigs are raped frequently. Piglets are thrown against walls. You OK with that too?

As human beings and an evolved society we should all be against cruelty.

This post actually has nothing to to with everyone on earth becoming a vegetarian.
It's about what we as a society accept towards the most defenseless among us - animals.

I'd prefer that people hunt and humanely kill their own dinner. Or keep a limited number of chickens Humanely.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:06 PM

194 posts, read 182,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Meat is murder.. go vegan...

and for all the right reasons

Better health
Better planet
Better bellies
Meat is IMO the largest cause of non congenital colon cancer. My mind is much clearer since ceasing meat consumption.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:14 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,260,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

However, if anyone is fine with intentional cruelty towards an animal who's life is about to be taken, they are scary and in league with serial killers. Torture and cruelty towards animals is predictive of brutality towards human beings - along with bed wetting and fire starting.

The post was NOT about "everyone going vegetarian" It was about needless brutality.

Pigs are raped frequently. Piglets are thrown against walls. You OK with that too?

This post actually has nothing to to with everyone on earth becoming a vegetarian.
It's about what we as a society accept towards the most defenseless among us - animals.

I'd prefer that people hunt and humanely kill their own dinner. Or keep a limited number of chickens Humanely.
We hunt.........I agree with a clean kill whenever possible.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:18 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,534,840 times
Quote:
While you are entitled to your opinion, the entire world is not ever going to be vegetarian. It's just not going to happen. "Snatching food from mouths of starving babies and feeding it to plump beasts" just wreaks of a whacko off his rocker. Sorry, that just sounds stupid.

A good way to initiate intelligent conversation between the sides, and to change the opinions of others (which most of the vegans/vegetarians I know try to do), is not posting videos and articles of animal torture and writing excerpts about how we're taking food from the hungry and feeding it to animals is a silly and unnecessary way of making your point. All you're doing is encouraging further agreement among people who already agree with you and making the rest of the population roll their eyes at you because you sound so crazy! Articles that rant and rave about how awful humans are for eating animals don't do anything to make me believe otherwise - except that you love to shove the fact that I eat meat in my face. Articles that intelligently discuss the reasons why vegetarianism/veganism are healthier lifestyles catch - and KEEP - my attention much more effectively.

I know plenty of non-meat-eating people, but one thing I don't stand for is unintelligent conversation where an attempt is made for me to feel guilty of the choices I make. Convince me without showing me pictures of dead animals - I've seen it (hundreds of times) - and I get it.
The starving babies part were not my words it was a quote from the article. I do agree however that being vegetarian can help with world hunger. How about this a book called The China Study which discusses studies and tests done by a well respected doctor that claims to prove that a vegetarian diet can prevent and help cure cancer? It also shows that when certain small Chinese villages that were eating mostly vegetarian food changed their diets to add more meat their health problems increased, also the book I recommended called Diet For A New America does go into studies that show that meat and dairy can be harmful.

I do not say that being vegetarian will be easy and I do not recommend junk food either like cakes and cookies I mean healthy vegetarian food, it will be harder to get certain vitamins but it can be done. I believe in it. Many people were raised to believe they need meat protein to be healthy but that isn't true.

That being said if you do choose to eat meat please do so humanely. Animals have feelings and a heart, they can suffer.

The China Study | BenBella Vegan

Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth « John Robbins Official Site

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-30-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,990,832 times
Quote:

Actually its not opinion, it's fact that if everyone is vegetarian there would be an abundance of food. Raising meat takes a lot more food than raising vegetables. IE More acres per pound of meat than vegetables.

But even without everyone going vegan, there is plenty of food. Know how much food growing space we could free up if we terminated this worthless corn ethanol program? (corn is one of the least efficient sources of ethanol too)

Old 03-30-2015, 02:30 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,507,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
Meanwhile back in the city,,,there are homeless people who would much prefer not going to sleep in an alley hungry.
Wrong thread, dude!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Yes though I answered questions and replied to posts concerning being vegetarian that is not why I started this thread. This thread is about animal abuse . Even those raised for food and if we stand up against animal abuse of all kinds we can make a difference.

Old 03-30-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Actually its not opinion, it's fact that if everyone is vegetarian there would be an abundance of food. Raising meat takes a lot more food than raising vegetables. IE More acres per pound of meat than vegetables.

But even without everyone going vegan, there is plenty of food. Know how much food growing space we could free up if we terminated this worthless corn ethanol program? (corn is one of the least efficient sources of ethanol too)

Yes there are other alternative fuels. I like the one about algae.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae_fuel

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-30-2015 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies