Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,263,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Please provide a logical argument for why eating meat is ethical then, that means no logical fallacies. I can provide one for why it's unethical.
The BIBLE.....

God gave made dominion over the Earth.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:49 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,741,219 times
Quote:
I bet you will, because you are an unethical person who chooses taste over ethics or the environment. I will continue to do whatever I can to take that choice away from you.
I am a very ethical person. I treat people well. I treat my pets well. The animals that become my meals are treated well and butchered well.

Life is to be enjoyed, not endured. I will enjoy my life and my meals.

It's all about control with vegans. Most vegans are miserable (probably because they eat awful food) and they want to control everyone's food choices so everyone else can be miserable with them.

Not buying it.

Today, just for you, I am not eating meat. (Just kidding - it's not for you. It's because it's Good Friday).

Even Jesus ate lamb.

Happy Easter.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If you could, would you have laws enacted that would force people to stop eating meat?
You know she would! She essentially said as much:

Quote:
I will continue to do whatever I can to take that choice away from you.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hahaha....are we talking hypocrisy or what?
He'll close his eyes to using animals for some things , just not food.
And, no, you do not need a leather belt or leather shoes!
I'd say this poster has just severely, if not completely, devalued his strident opinion from the discussion.
Yep.

I agree.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:00 AM

18,149 posts, read 15,566,042 times
Quote:
People eating meat is absolutely an ethical issue and is the one I am addressing.
How is eating meat an ethical issue? Beyond cannibalism, there is no ethical issue involved with what people eat. The treatment of animals , used for food, is, but not eating meat. Maybe to some peoples minds, there's ethics involved, but hardly everyone, and I would say "most". What people eat is nobody's business, but there's, other than the aforementioned cannibalism. However, as I said, in my previous post, the anti meat crowd's "arguments" are hinged on making people feel guilty about the steak on their plate.

So, shock footage from meat plants, endless allegations of abuse by meat raisers, catchy slogans like "meat is murder" etc, are the tip of the spear, in a lame attempt to disseminate guilt and shame about eating meat. These militant veganites WISH it was an ethical issue, they try to make it one, but it doesn't wash if folks don't fall for the guilt trip. I don't fall for it, and nobody I know does either, even them that are vegetarians. It works even less on rural folks , like me n mine, who raise our own meat animals.

We know our food wasn't abused or mistreated in any way, before it became food. My ex wife and ex MILs cooking can be considered abuse of meat, but at that point, it hardly matters. So, being as the ethical issue is in the handling of meat animals, NOT in the eating of meat, the anti meat bunch have their guns pointed at the wrong people. USDA and FDA will descend like locusts on plants that , willfully and with intent, abuse meat animals. But, these large outfits can afford to defend against such charges, or they just pay the fines and fire those responsible. Or whoever is deemed responsible. Beyond that, what is it than can and should be done? People eating meat isn't going to go away, all dreams and aspirations aside.

Meat is food. Pure and simple. Nothing more, nothing less. Choosing not to eat meat is just fine, but choosing to eat it is, as well. Peoples diets are nobody's concern, but theirs. Stating, that the mere consumption of meat, by itself, is an ethical issue is crackpot talk. Trying to force a belief on people, via shaming tactics and shock strategy, doesn't an "ethical" issue make. Other than bringing the ethics of those using these methods into question.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,072,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Yep.

I agree.
Hi Peach

I must not fit the mold

Im vegan.. have been for almost 50 years
I dont push it on anyone
I try as much as possible in the modern world to support alternatives to any animals products
I am fit.. healthy and indistinguishable from my peers other than as a whole my blood pressure.. pulse rate and other barometers of health are better than the group... as a whole of my meat eating peers... this is because I am vegan and take good care of myself

Much has been made by meat eaters in this thread that to me are simply silly arguments... how vegans are not vegans and how plants sense pain and on and on. much of that is bunk.. as most items we use today in modern world that I can think of do not need animals products or by products.. and I do my utmost best to be conscious about what those are.

I think it is pretty clear that the business of marketing animals for food is profit driven and animals are only a commodity to be maximized for profit.

There is no need in the modern world to kill animals for food... it is senseless...we have brains and clear thought as human beings.. and reason.. and morals and the ability to sense the pain of others... so why should animals be grown for our use and consumption... its totally unnecessary. For every biblical verse, agriz biz commercial, health study funded by the meat lobby , there are just as compelling if not more so evidence that the vegan diet is better for the planet and and better for us.

A good vegan diet is exciting to eat.. there is so much more variety than a meat fish foul...ok slip there.. fowl one... but most meat eaters have little education about the alternatives

I recommend a book out of print called "Cosmic Cookery" by Kate Hannaford.. it is an excellent cookbook for vegans and for those transitioning... you will never lack for variety and substance and whole nutrition.

If hunters want to hunt... kill terrorists... Ill be happy to support that any day... and after man any other animal pales in comparison.

Thank you

Old 04-03-2015, 10:33 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,263,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hi Peach

I must not fit the mold

I dont push it on anyone
I try as much as possible in the modern world to support alternatives to any animals products
I am fit.. healthy and indistinguishable from my peers other than as a whole my blood pressure.. pulse rate and other barometers of health are better than the group... as a whole of my meat eating peers... this is because I am vegan and take good care of myself

Much has been made by meat eaters in this thread that to me are simply silly arguments... how vegans are not vegans and how plants sense pain and on and on. much of that is bunk.. as most items we use today in modern world that I can think of do not need animals products or by products.. and I do my utmost best to be conscious about what those are.

I think it is pretty clear that the business of marketing animals for food is profit driven and animals are only a commodity to be maximized for profit.

There is no need in the modern world to kill animals for food... it is senseless...we have brains and clear thought as human beings.. and reason.. and morals and the ability to sense the pain of others... so why should animals be grown for our use and consumption... its totally unnecessary. For every biblical verse, agriz biz commercial, health study funded by the meat lobby , there are just as compelling if not more so evidence that the vegan diet is better for the planet and and better for us.

A good vegan diet is exciting to eat.. there is so much more variety than a meat fish foul...ok slip there.. fowl one... but most meat eaters have little education about the alternatives

I recommend a book out of print called "Cosmic Cookery" by Kate Hannaford.. it is an excellent cookbook for vegans and for those transitioning... you will never lack for variety and substance and whole nutrition.

If hunters want to hunt... kill terrorists... Ill be happy to support that any day... and after man any other animal pales in comparison.

Thank you
We do a little terrorist hunting.........we predator hunt coyotes........and others

sometimes wolves.....we do not eat them........they are left in the natural food chain.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 AM

18,149 posts, read 15,566,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Hi Peach

I must not fit the mold

I dont push it on anyone

If hunters want to hunt... kill terrorists... Ill be happy to support that any day... and after man any other animal pales in comparison

Thank you
Someone's been reading Hemmingway. But, that has no bearing here, as hunting for food and hunting the enemy, in combat are quite different. If someone enjoys the kill, either way, I question their mental state. As to what "mold" your take fits, that you do not yry and force your eating habits on others, or get preachy with folks, does set you aside from a couple players here, and from the rest of the militant veganites.

Quite. Theirs is a warped mindset. Its fine to have made choices, and to have a basis for those choices. However, to blithely assume those choices work for everyone, and insist everyone conform, is a fools venture. Which, at least, you understand.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,654,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hahaha....are we talking hypocrisy or what?
He'll close his eyes to using animals for some things , just not food.
And, no, you do not need a leather belt or leather shoes!
I'd say this poster has just severely, if not completely, devalued his strident opinion from the discussion.
If you must know, the leather items I own are the seats in my car which is over 25 years old and a wallet that was a gift from an ex years ago, I do not purchase leather products.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:53 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,654,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
If you could, would you have laws enacted that would force people to stop eating meat?
Absolutely, without a doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies