Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 09:52 AM

854 posts, read 1,482,624 times

Advertisements

It's my opinion that if someone has committed a terrible crime, regardless of whether the sentence really fit the crime or not once they are free they should have a clean slate. I don't even think employers should be able to access people's criminal records unless it's directly relevant to the career.

Some murderers do kill again, but only a few percent. I don't think it's fair to punish criminals extra for crimes they might commit in the future, but probably won't. The only exception would be determined offenders like Ted Bundy or Jerry Sandusky, I don't really think you can help people like that but remorseful criminals deserve a second chance if they are released from prison.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
The "ban the box" is a stupid idea. Employers, and co workers, have a right to know about the criminal past of a person they are spending their workday with.
I disagree, unless it's actually relevant to the work they're doing. Banks should be able to avoid hiring thieves as tellers and of course grade schools should be able to know their new teacher is not a pervert. But other than that letting businesses know about somebody's criminal past just gets in the way of re-integrating them into society.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:18 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If you murder someone (think about what that means) society can take into account your reputation and interact with you accordingly.

There is nothing that says that after leaving prison you start with a clean slate, you do not. You still committed the crime. You might have been punished by society having been sent to prison but that doesn't mean anyone has to forget what happened.

A murderer has stolen the life of another human being. Where is the clean slate for the person murdered, for their family and the possible contributions they might have offered to society?

Society already trusted that person and they went and killed someone else. Punishment does not mean trust is restored. They damaged their reputation as a human being and too bad, they have to live with that. At least they get to live which is so much more than they allowed for the murdered that it can't be measured on the same scale.

You are forgetting that the criminal justice system has nothing to do with the civil one. Any murderer is lucky to be alive. The rest of their life should have one focus, to work in the service of the one they murdered. They took a life and really don't have much right to their own.
Work in the service of the one they murdered???? Did you read the article? This dude molested her for years!!!

Jesus Christ city data is a cesspool of faux righteousness.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
So, some people would rather see a pedophile walking around free. Go figure.

Yes, she murdered someone - I think it's a stretch to call a pedophile a human being. He deserved to live...why? To go on and molest more children?

I urge people to do some research on the damaging effects of abuse. And, while you are at it, imagine it was your child.
Should parents who beat their children be put to death too? Hell, let's just be like the Middle East or China and execute people left and right. It seems like it's what most Americans want these days.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Work in the service of the one they murdered???? Did you read the article? This dude molested her for years!!!

Jesus Christ city data is a cesspool of faux righteousness.
I read the article did you?

She said he molested her for years, Years long past and while that doesn't excuse what he did, she got a trial, where was his?

That is the deal see? Based on a story, you are ready to change how the justice system works and simply do away with everyone else's rights except those who cry foul and take the law into their own hands.

Did she not go to him with a gun in her possession? Why, after years had passed. To seek closure and demand to know why he did it? With a gun in hand?

Tell me, what if some woman knocked on your door with a gun in her hand and demanded to know why you did what you did years ago, what would you do? Maybe you did something, maybe not but the fact is you didn't get a trial. Start thinking past the knee jerk sympathy reaction.

Life isn't fair but everyone has a right to it and no one has the right to take it from you outside what the law provides for. This was not self defense. It was not a trial. There was no judge or jury, she took someone's life.

How many people here cry about what the police do (mostly to people who already committed a crime) but then cry for this woman? How many times have women falsely accused others of sexually or otherwise abusing them when they were young? Tell me that doesn't happen.

How can it be that we have at times put people in prison and then even rarely executed them when they were innocent? Yeah, the screams and whining over the death penalty yet here we are, saying the woman had the right to impose the death penalty based on her say so?

Gee, then why all the hoopla over the death penalty? At least there is a defense and a judge and jury. Now is is okay for one person to decide, not at the time of the abuse, but years later?

You had better get a gun jonny because someone somewhere probably thinks you did them wrong, could be long long ago and they might decide to take you out and claim you were some heinous bastard who deserves to die. Is that what you are advocating? It sure seems so.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Gee, then why all the hoopla over the death penalty? At least there is a defense and a judge and jury. Now is is okay for one person to decide, not at the time of the abuse, but years later?
I find that a lot of liberals who claim to be against the death penalty seem to be somewhat in favor of it when you really get down to it. They're against the state carrying it out, but I've known liberals who are happy when a black person kills a white racist so in principle a lot of them probably aren't against it in theory.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:03 AM

186 posts, read 238,822 times
A crime this major will forever follow them. Just because she served time doesn't mean it will all be erased after she's done. That person that was killed will never be back, it's not like she serves time the person comes back to life and it goes back to being normal. Murder, rape, anything that messes someones life up will always follow you.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
I read the article did you?

She said he molested her for years, Years long past and while that doesn't excuse what he did, she got a trial, where was his?

That is the deal see? Based on a story, you are ready to change how the justice system works and simply do away with everyone else's rights except those who cry foul and take the law into their own hands.

Did she not go to him with a gun in her possession? Why, after years had passed. To seek closure and demand to know why he did it? With a gun in hand?

Tell me, what if some woman knocked on your door with a gun in her hand and demanded to know why you did what you did years ago, what would you do? Maybe you did something, maybe not but the fact is you didn't get a trial. Start thinking past the knee jerk sympathy reaction.

Life isn't fair but everyone has a right to it and no one has the right to take it from you outside what the law provides for. This was not self defense. It was not a trial. There was no judge or jury, she took someone's life.

How many people here cry about what the police do (mostly to people who already committed a crime) but then cry for this woman? How many times have women falsely accused others of sexually or otherwise abusing them when they were young? Tell me that doesn't happen.

How can it be that we have at times put people in prison and then even rarely executed them when they were innocent? Yeah, the screams and whining over the death penalty yet here we are, saying the woman had the right to impose the death penalty based on her say so?

You had better get a gun jonny because someone somewhere probably thinks you did them wrong, could be long long ago and they might decide to take you out and claim you were some heinous bastard who deserves to die. Is that what you are advocating? It sure seems so.
Tl;dnr
I think the fact that her sentence was so light speaks to the circumstances.

Obviously she committed a crime and deserved jail time, which she served. She in no way needs to dedicate her life to the service of that awful person. That line was the single most phony baloney lines of heard on this site and I have heard a lot.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:25 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We've turned into a very spiteful, hateful and vengeful society where no one deserves a second chance. Its quite sad really and the mindset is hurting many people - not just criminals. I don't know where we go from here but I think one of the best ways to treat others is how you would like to be treated. That usually means with kindness and compassion and empathy.

What is the point of serving time in jail if not to pay your debt to society? If that debt is paid, why are people still being punished years after the fact? What are we hoping to achieve by treating people in such a manner?
what a world where the murderer is the victim and those who refuse to hire her are the 'spiteful, hateful, vengeful' ones

Old 04-02-2015, 12:27 PM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Aww what a shame!

The person she murdered isn't faring so well either.
The person she killed was a f*cking child molester! He got what he deserved. She should get a medal. What's wrong with you people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies