Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:51 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
Is there anything this idiot does that is not unAmerican/spit-in-the-face of America/impeachable acts!

As Americans, our very first consideration and priority is our Military. Without our Military, America would not exist.
Didn't read the linked article did you?

Only had to read the first sentence.

"President Obama said Monday he supports the recommendations of a military commission that would reduce the size of traditional military retirement pay by about 20 percent and offer a new defined-contribution benefit for troops who leave before 20 years of service."

So, was the military commission acting in/committing "unAmerican/spit-in-the-face of America/impeachable acts"??

Are the troops that support these changes "unAmerican" as well?

"Just last week, officials from the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States and the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America told lawmakers that many of their members would support such a radical change to the military's retirement benefit.
"It is fundamentally unfair that one could serve 10 or 12 years, with three, four, five or more deployments, and leave the military with absolutely no retirement benefit at all, yet a careerist who possibly never even deployed could be entitled to a full benefit package," said Chris Neiweem, a legislative associate for IAVA."

Obama Says He 'Fully Supports' Aims of Military Benefits Overhaul | Military.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:58 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Great way to reward those who protect our freedoms

Obama supports reduction in military retirement pay - Washington Times
Key words: retirement pay

Retirees are veterans, but most vets are not retirees.

Only lifers get retiree benefits. The vast majority of former military personnel, overwhelming majority of them, vets if there was a war on when they were in, are not lifers and never get any retirement benefits.

I don't know. My friend Mike lost an arm in war, he has one son. I think he receives around $2,000 / month. Seems to me he deserves this pay. (if this is up to me, I would give people veterans like him a bit more)

I really don't mean to offend anybody, I would like to believe anybody retire from the military in ANY countries deserve what they were promised. But it seems to me that Privates and coporals, sergeants (based on MOS) get wounded and die the most. And they don't retire or draw retirement.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"It is fundamentally unfair that one could serve 10 or 12 years, with three, four, five or more deployments, and leave the military with absolutely no retirement benefit at all,

Obama Says He 'Fully Supports' Aims of Military Benefits Overhaul | Military.com
I completely agree with the bolded. I never served one second in any military branches, but I can NEVER understand why an enlist Marine or soldier who served 3 - 4 tours in foreign countries cannot get some kind of retirement benefits.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Officers, even more so, get an obscene amount of pay for what they are worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Yep.

From one of the links I posted earlier (reposted below):

"They also pointed out that the median civilian earnings for the 25- to 34-year-old age group increased just 4 percent, from $29,526 in 1990 to $30,759 in 2013, while military compensation rose an average of 17 percent during the same period. "Interestingly, service members fared significantly better than median U.S. civilian workers aged 25-34 with respect to compensation," they wrote."

The average 25-34 non-military employee does not get a housing allowance, let alone one that is calculated based on the cost of living where ever s/he is based.
Doesn't get increases for being married.
Doesn't get re-enlistment bonuses in the tens of thousands of dollars.
Doesn't get a (currently) guaranteed pension after 20 years with the same employer that starts immediately upon retirement.

Could they be paid more?
Of course, who couldn't?

People who want to dismiss these proposals out of hand have completely failed to recognize that they are actually quite beneficial to those service members that don't want to serve 20+ years.

"It would be a sea change from a system that now offers retirement benefits to about only 17 percent of the force — many of them officers — who serve 20 years."

Report: Pay and benefits panel to recommend killing 20-year retirement - Stripes

Report: Changes May Hit Military Basic, Special and Retirement Pays | Military.com
Absolute on point. Thanks for posting that link.

The old shibboleth that the military is undercompensated is a pernicious lie that needs to stop and stop now. With pay and potential benefits, they're handsomely remunerated.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:18 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I completely agree with the bolded. I never served one second in any military branches, but I can NEVER understand why an enlist Marine or soldier who served 3 - 4 tours in foreign countries cannot get some kind of retirement benefits.
The operand is "Retirement."

Even the Romans had to serve 21 years and a wake-up to retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
The same people who have been buying it before: the US citizens, the foreign investors, and the government.

Sovereign debt is serviced by sovereign debt.
Yeah, when US federal debt is 35% of World GDP, the rest of the world will still be buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Who is more at risk in the military? Officers, or enlisted? Who is on the sharp end? And yet...who gets the most money? The partisanship you show here is mind boggling.
Who cares?....

Mircea

Old 03-31-2015, 05:28 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,957,018 times
Get back to me when Obama cuts pay to the war contractors and industry that take the lions share of the tax payers dollars. This is cutting the throats of the 99% for his banker buddies

Old 03-31-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The operand is "Retirement."

Even the Romans had to serve 21 years and a wake-up to retire.

Mircea
That is not the answer to my question. Meh.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:54 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Who cares?....

Mircea
Well when we are discussing what people deserve for their service, I'd argue that people being shot at deserve just a tad more.

Obviously you disagree. Thats fine.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:00 PM

[quote=greywar;39038681]Well when we are discussing what people deserve for their service, I'd argue that people being shot at deserve just a tad more./QUOTE]

Yeah, I totally agree.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Well when we are discussing what people deserve for their service, I'd argue that people being shot at deserve just a tad more.

Obviously you disagree. Thats fine.
Fair enough, but no matter how much their pay and benefits are raised, people will still scream to the heavens that the military deserves more money. It's never enough.

People know that they aren't gonna get rich when they enlist.

But anytime a 19 year old married Private First Class with two years in service can make 38k per year with no college or even trade school, you simply can't make a case that they're poorly compensated. That's more money than people twice their age make at many jobs in the private sector with far more years of experience. And a PFC has almost zero important responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies