Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 11:55 AM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Here is a clue. They are called BORDER PATROL. I would think they would be better at the border, not stopping every car a hour or more away from the border. Do you mind giving up all your rights so easily? Not trying to be a smart a s s just asking. If a cop knocked on your front door and asked to search your bedroom are you happy to let them in and get them a cup of coffee? If not why not. Just wondering where you draw the line on having your rights taken away. Does everybody have to draw the line at the same place you do?
IMO, if you have nothing to hide then what's the big deal? We are often inconvenienced by having to show our ID when boarding a plane, purchasing liquor, cigarettes, cashing a check, etc. Me thinks thou protests too much. I always cooperate with LE no matter whom they are and I don't get my feathers all ruffled by doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 12:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Border Patrol does more drug busts then capturing illegals.
Just look at the GAO reports. Very few illegals are caught at these checkpoints.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:12 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
IMO, if you have nothing to hide then what's the big deal? We are often inconvenienced by having to show our ID when boarding a plane, purchasing liquor, cigarettes, cashing a check, etc. Me thinks thou protests too much. I always cooperate with LE no matter whom they are and I don't get my feathers all ruffled by doing so.

Your thinking is scary.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:57 PM

62,944 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Your thinking is scary.
Why? I am not paranoid that LE in any form is out to get me. They are just doing their jobs and their job is to protect us.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Border Patrol does more drug busts then capturing illegals.
Just look at the GAO reports. Very few illegals are caught at these checkpoints.
Because of these checkpoints illegals can't just walk into a border town and catch a bus, they have to walk days through the desert hiding from patrols to bypass the checkpoints,

Old 04-04-2015, 01:15 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why? I am not paranoid that LE in any form is out to get me. They are just doing their jobs and their job is to protect us.
The only thing protecting you from the protectors is the Constitution.

They have a tough job and we should support them within the constraints of the law.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Because of these checkpoints illegals can't just walk into a border town and catch a bus, they have to walk days through the desert hiding from patrols to bypass the checkpoints,
It's common knowledge which roads the illegals tax in south Texas.
US 77 from Corpus Christi isn't one of them.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No drugs or would-be immigrants were hidden in the sedan that rolled up to a Border Patrol checkpoint on a Southern California highway last week, but within 90 seconds the driver was handcuffed.

His 4-year-old boy was crying. And a video camera mounted on the car's dashboard captured the moment. The motorist had said he was an American but told the agent he did not have to say where he was going, would not consent to a search of his trunk and would not move his car.

"You brought this on yourself, buddy," an agent says as he is led away.

Meanwhile, Obama wants to let millions of illegal aliens into our country. Why does Obama hate legal citizens?
Quote:
It's not ignorant to recognize that people in the USA today cannot travel without proving the are citizens. Just like Nazi Germany. We should NEVER have to prove we are citizens if we are breaking no laws.
Quote:
The issue is border patrol abuse of power. Not what people do about it. I applaud anyone who resists this abuse of power.
Sorry I am having a very hard time following this thread and the thought process.

You are mad that Obama isn't doing more about illegal immigration, but you are mad at the Border Patrol for trying to prevent illegal immigration. Does that about sum it up?

I've been going though these border checkpoints for over 40 years and never been stopped or pulled over.

But if an officer asked where I was going, I'd tell him. If he asked me to pullover, I would. When he'd confirmed that the dog had been mistaken on my car containing contraband, I'd be on my way in three minutes.

The DB driving the car in CA was obviously looking for the confrontation he got. That is why he had a dash cam on himself. He wanted an incident to get this kind of attention. He did bring the entire thing on himself.

Now maybe you hate the Border Patrol, but being up there in Austin you are a comfortable 200 miles from the border. In my Coronado home I am about 10 miles as the crow flies from Mexico. I interact with Border Patrol agents all the time and I thank them for the dangerous, thankless job they have.

Many SEAL families in Coronado are happy to see combat operations winding down in the Middle East, but no such relief occurs for the Border Patrol. They are on the front lines against terrorism, drug smuggling and human trafficking every day with no end in sight.

I say God Bless the Border Patrol and wanna be civil rights heroes need to find a different sandbox to play in.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:03 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If you refuse to cooperate, you pay the penalty. Simply answer their questions, and there wont be any issues. If you act like a prick and refuse to oblige, you make yourself look suspicious.
So abiding by your rights and obeying the law is "acting like a prick?"

Old 04-04-2015, 04:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
The first guy cracked me up "Are you an American citizen?" That's my business Lol
The first guy did what everyone should do. He is 100% correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies