Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the big prize is not the oval office itself.....the big prize is controlling the W.H., Congress and the S.C.....right now the Republicans control 2 out of 3.

add the governorships which they have a lot to say on the state level.....I like the Republican position a lot better than the Democrats. 31 Republican governors to 18 Democrat governors.
Power under the Constitution isnt even in the White House.. ignoring of course executive orders. Democrats can keep the WH, long as Republicans hold Congress and wont pass a Democratic type bill I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 10:19 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
GOP needs 40% of Latino votes to win White House in 2016, Republican pollster says | Fox News Latino

Well we are not going to win 40% of the Hispanic vote by telling them that we are going to deport half their family so what is our plan?

Ahora es el momento por Jeb Bush ... we have no other options.
It's interesting that the story referenced in the OP focussed on what Ayers had to say about Latinos, but did not reference what he had to say about gays in the very same interview. Here's a news item that covers the entire interview.
GOP pollster: Candidates seen as antigay will never win voters under 30 - CSMonitor.com

Not trying to derail the thread here, just pointing out that Latinos are not the only issue for the Rs in the 2016 election, and if the Rs nominate a culture warrior like Cruz - odds are against it working out well for them. This pollster is working with Rubio, and has a couple interesting things to say about him.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
the big prize is not the oval office itself.....the big prize is controlling the W.H., Congress and the S.C.....right now the Republicans control 2 out of 3.

add the governorships which they have a lot to say on the state level.....I like the Republican position a lot better than the Democrats. 31 Republican governors to 18 Democrat governors.
I think the D position is better than you make it out to be. It matters which states are included in the governorship counts. But it certainly is true that I wish there were more D governors!

So far, controlling Congress hasn't improved the Rs position vis-a-vis Obama much, if at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:43 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
GOP needs 40% of Latino votes to win White House in 2016, Republican pollster says | Fox News Latino

Well we are not going to win 40% of the Hispanic vote by telling them that we are going to deport half their family so what is our plan?

Ahora es el momento por Jeb Bush ... we have no other options.
Propaganda designed to try and scare (R's) into allowing illegal aliens to stay in an effort to win in 2016
The average Hispanic here legally does not automatically equate allowing illegals to stay or lose their vote. However the liberal press, COC wing of the (R's) and illegal alien activists groups like La Raza want to perpetuate this myth.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Propaganda designed to try and scare (R's) into allowing illegal aliens to stay in an effort to win in 2016
It's what the numbers say. If you have a different set of numbers from a vetted source, I'm sure we'd all love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
The average Hispanic here legally does not automatically equate allowing illegals to stay or lose their vote. However the liberal press, COC wing of the (R's) and illegal alien activists groups like La Raza want to perpetuate this myth.
I don't know what the average Hispanic thinks, but I am sure you are right that many oppose illegal immigrants. But I think it is a mistake to say that immigration is the major deciding factor in how Hispanics as a whole vote, one way or the other. The quoted GOP pollster talks about how the Rs might convince more Hispanics to vote for them, it will be interesting to see how the advice he will be offering Rubio plays out.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I agree that Repubs need a larger Hispanic vote and 40% seems about right....of course you wold like even more but not sure that is possible. The question is what will change their vote? Immigration I believe is a significant issue that must be addressed.
It's almost as if people believe that Hispanic votes count more than other votes. They don't.

It is not at all clear that, by pandering on amnesty, Republicans will gain more Hispanic votes than they lose "Anglo" votes, even in the short term. And, believe it or not, white votes still count the same as others'.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:32 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Im 100% Anglo, my family owns property in Puerto Rico however. I agree entirely that illegal immigration hurts Puerto Ricans more than anyone else, especially economically and also by stirring up anger against anyone who is Hispanic. I realize that, but I also realize that we cannot deport 20 million people.
There is no need to round up illegals. Just make life so hard for them that they will leave on their own accord. This can be achieved by doing the following:

Make E-verify the law of the land and run everybody in the work force through it. That way, you will weed out the 8 million no-matches that we currently have. This is important to do, not only to rid the illegals from the work force but to prevent ID theft.

Make the long overdue closure of this loophole in the law---currently, the law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. As a result, people have discovered scores of illegals using their number and like ID theft victims, were left with a mess to clean up. The SSA won't tell you if someone is using your SSN. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return on a job you never worked.

Deal with the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. Due to this fiasco, once illegals have an anchor baby, the whole family benefits, including being eligible for Section 8 housing.

If illegals can't work or access freebies, they will leave. If anyone doubts it, when AL, AZ and GA got tough on illegals, they left to move to sanctuary states.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:34 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There is no need to round up illegals. Just make life so hard for them that they will leave on their own accord. This can be achieved by doing the following:

Make E-verify the law of the land and run everybody in the work force through it. That way, you will weed out the 8 million no-matches that we currently have. This is important to do, not only to rid the illegals from the work force but to prevent ID theft.

Make the long overdue closure of this loophole in the law---currently, the law says it's okay if someone uses your SSN as long as they don't use your name with it. As a result, people have discovered scores of illegals using their number and like ID theft victims, were left with a mess to clean up. The SSA won't tell you if someone is using your SSN. You only find out when the IRS comes after you for not filing a tax return on a job you never worked.

Deal with the whole anchor baby/birth tourism fiasco. Due to this fiasco, once illegals have an anchor baby, the whole family benefits, including being eligible for Section 8 housing.

If illegals can't work or access freebies, they will leave. If anyone doubts it, when AL, AZ and GA got tough on illegals, they left to move to sanctuary states.
Really? I'm from Arizona. They're still here.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:37 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? I'm from Arizona. They're still here.
Really? Wow! I didn't know that/sarcasm!

Yet, a lot of them left, didn't they? I'm sure making E-verify the law in AZ helped with that, too.

You seem to hate AZ as you complain about it quite a bit. Why are you still there?

Old 04-01-2015, 11:41 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There is no need to round up illegals. Just make life so hard for them that they will leave on their own accord.
Yes, and there is no need to be mean about it. Just take the normal enforcement measures that countries around the world take. There's a reason why wealthy Finland is not overrun by relatively poor Russians. It's simply hard to live there illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies