Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 01:54 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just shining some light on it and sharing information. You guys hopped on it right away. I didn't lie about the facts did I? My opinion is that it's a racket with as much as they are earning. It's up to the people in those unions and states to change things. If they are OK with it - nothing I can do.
OK So he makes 500K all told right? And you find this outrageous right? He represents one of the largest unions in the country correct?

By comparison the average CEO of a fortune 500 make 10 million a year. IE 20X what he does.

And why the focus on CEO's? I thought that was a mistaken liberal thing? They focus on the CEO's while ignoring where the real money is being made. You know, like how the top 2 hedge fund managers make more then the top 500 CEOS combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Union leaders represent the workers and ensure fair pay and a comfortable work environment among many other things-CEOs not only don't represent the workers but are a hindrance to them by receiving bonuses when Americans are laid off in mass and labor is outsourced to foreign nations.

Why do you care so much what others make? If you put the time and effort in, I'm sure you can improve your lot in life.
Unions on a voluntary basis - that's fine.

The mandatory unions - those I have an issue with.

I understand the basic function of a union. However, people complain of CEO salaries - I counter that they have an investment in their business that the employees don't have. So I am trying to understand what the investment is for union leaders into their unions.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Like I said, your argument is based on hypocrisy. Your complaint is that union leaders make too much. Then you follow up and say although CEOs make more than union leaders, it should be okay.
CEO's have to earn money for their shareholders or they are turfed out.

Union leaders make their money of the sweat equity of the workers they claim to support.

Even a blind batcrap crazy homeless person can see that difference.

Old 04-01-2015, 01:57 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:

I understand the basic function of a union. However, people complain of CEO salaries - I counter that they have an investment in their business that the employees don't have. So I am trying to understand what the investment is for union leaders into their unions.
I'm not aware of any mandatory unions.

You can choose to not be in the union, and pay a "fair share" amount which is less than union dues.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:02 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,454 times
Quote:
Yeah - nice try. I don't do that. The fact that the dues are mandatory is what makes it a racket.
The workers have to vote for a union before there is a union. What part of that do you cons not get?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I'm not aware of any mandatory unions.

You can choose to not be in the union, and pay a "fair share" amount which is less than union dues.
Have you not been following Wisconsin's union fight with Scott Waker? Much of that was about mandatory dues and membership to unions. You can search other threads for that.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Just shining some light on it and sharing information. You guys hopped on it right away. I didn't lie about the facts did I? My opinion is that it's a racket with as much as they are earning. It's up to the people in those unions and states to change things. If they are OK with it - nothing I can do.
And by "change things" would you happen to mean totally abolish unions and make the workers completely at the mercy of the corporations?

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:

There are no mandatory unions

Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Have you not been following Wisconsin's union fight with Scott Waker? Much of that was about mandatory dues and membership to unions. You can search other threads for that.
Its not mandatory, you can feel free to work elsewhere.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
The workers have to vote for a union before there is a union. What part of that do you cons not get?
Union Dues Now Permanently Mandatory for Public Employees

Lawsuit Against Mandatory Union Dues Moves Forward in California

Report: Mandatory Union Membership Hurting Workers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
There are no mandatory unions
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its not mandatory, you can feel free to work elsewhere.
I understand you can work anywhere - but in certain states with certain types of employment - union membership is mandatory and they collect dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies