Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:13 PM

491 posts, read 324,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Being #1 as in:

Highest per capita healthcare costs in the world?

Spending as much on our military as the next 8-10 countries combined yet still fearing puissant nations like Iran?

Yeah, it's just peachy keen at the top. You do realize there are any number of countries whose people enjoy very pleasant lifestyles while ranking no where near the mystical #1, eh?
Those states are not major powers of comparative rank and lack the global influence we have. Being the superpower has its costs but it is the position all states want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We can let them know in no uncertain terms we still have the capability to vaporize them should they choose to mess with us and won't hesitate to do so..
How do you let suicidal Religious Fanatics know you can "vaporize" them at will? First, How would you get them to care? What would you tell them? "Hey, If you try to blow me up with yourself, I will vaporize you?" How do you do that?

Old 04-02-2015, 02:15 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Fearmongering again! This is what Bush, Cheney and the neo-cons did that got us in Iraq. War mainly benefits the industrial complex and Israel. I say we stay the h*ll out of the Middle East.
War doesn't benefit Israel. It's the threat of war helps keep the right wing parties in power in Israel.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:16 PM

29,529 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're not from Israel. Israel needs to work out their own issues with Iran.l
I'm sure they will do exactly that

Quote:
And we can buy oil from whomever is selling it. We don't need to be in the Middle East to buy the oil. Whoever controls it will sell it because they damn sure can't drink it.
so if there is a wider regional war and oil supply is disrupted what effect would that have on the global economy

Quote:
Let our position be absolutely clear: An attempt by any outside force to gain control of the Persian Gulf region will be regarded as an assault on the vital interests of the United States of America, and such an assault will be repelled by any means necessary, including military force.
—Jimmy Carter, state of the union address, Jan. 23, 1980

JAH

Old 04-02-2015, 02:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Reality is that the anarchic system means states compete for top spot in a paranoid environment. We cant really buddy up with Russia and China in the grand scheme of things. China and the US are the superpowers competing for global influence and power.
Of course we can.

Quote:
I believe we should utilize our hard and soft power but we must try to remain #1. Being second best is never fun for any state.
My ego isn't that big.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:22 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,572,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
This reflexive response mostly by those on the left to evoke the mistakes of Iraq - or even Vietnam - whenever any situation arises where there is a potential REAL threat to the US, is destructive and dangerous to our interests and security. Those who seek to erroneously and irresponsibly draw a moral equivalence between Washington and Tehran, or repeatedly dismiss warnings of danger by resurrecting the ghost of Iraq, do so at the expense of diminishing American resolve, and emboldening our adversaries in the process. This tactic, or approach, by the left only increases the likelihood of a conflict they sought to prevent.
Which means the Right Wingnuts hate having facts dangled in their faces from previous "Snafus" while they are trying to snooker us into another one, on a Grand scale.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:22 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleiron1968 View Post
Those states are not major powers of comparative rank and lack the global influence we have. Being the superpower has its costs but it is the position all states want.
And what are the alleged benefits of those costs? When the cost/benefit ratio gets to a certain point it's time to chuck the whole exercise.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm sure they will do exactly that

so if there is a wider regional war and oil supply is disrupted what effect would that have on the global economy

—Jimmy Carter, state of the union address, Jan. 23, 1980

JAH
Yes in 1980 they mattered a lot more then they do today. We are not as dependent on oil from that area as much these days. Welcome to 2015.

It would hurt the global economy (and via that, us), but if the global economy is worried, I might suggest they get off their butts and deal with it instead of assuming we will. Turns out that most of them want to negotiate.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
War doesn't benefit Israel. It's the threat of war helps keep the right wing parties in power in Israel.
Which does nothing to benefit the US.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
How do you let suicidal Religious Fanatics know you can "vaporize" them at will? First, How would you get them to care? What would you tell them? "Hey, If you try to blow me up with yourself, I will vaporize you?" How do you do that?

Do you seriously believe the people in power are ever going to blow themselves up? I don't, I believe they're typical chicken-s**t armchair warriors who have no problem with war only when their own sorry asses aren't at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies