Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times

Advertisements

And then we have this sports guy tweeting (but it made the news broadcasts) that Christians need to give gays a break.

Ok.

Just Christians or others too?

People need to start thinking before they decide to use their celebrity status to make their mouths a trash can.

Christians aren't the ones throwing gays off rooftops or stoning them to death. No outcry there.

This Indiana issue was such a fabrication of agenda driven journalism it is amazing it got traction. Too bad because it did nothing for gays, it backfired as people realized what was going on this with nonsense of alarmists.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:30 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
I hate to say it, but another reason why I hate Yelp. There is no quality control to say if someone used a vender's services. I venture to say 98% of the current reviews are from people who never ate at this place.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I hate to say it, but another reason why I hate Yelp. There is no quality control to say if someone used a vender's services. I venture to say 98% of the current reviews are from people who never ate at this place.
The only saving grace is that I can see is that this pizzeria is probably among the only game in town (its in Walkerton, Indiana, population of less than 2,500) and residents likely aren't too concerned with Yelp. I was hoping that the negative reviews would largely be from new accounts with only one or two reviews (that's a red flag often times), but, after reviewing the store's Yelp page, it seems to be that established reviewers are being outright libelous now.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
God is so amazing. Never in my dreams did I imagine the fund would raise over $700k. If we can do this, we can do anything! We have ALL the authority and ALL the power over the enemy and that's what scares the devil and the people operating for him.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
God is so amazing. Never in my dreams did I imagine the fund would raise over $700k. If we can do this, we can do anything! We have ALL the authority and ALL the power over the enemy and that's what scares the devil and the people operating for him.
Well said brother. Repped

Old 04-03-2015, 02:35 PM

477 posts, read 508,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
At the same time, if your initial choice for catering, floral, or whatever says they don't want to provide services for your wedding, because it is against their religion to have any part of it or indicate they condone the practice, I would hope you would accept their beliefs are just different from yours....
No, I would not "accept their beliefs". Nor should anyone. Not when they are using them as an excuse to violate the rights of others - and being able to buy food and yes, even get flowers for and catering for a wedding are rights belonging to every human being.

Also, take note - this is the only pizza place in that town. According to your plan, it is perfectly OK for a business to refuse services or goods and make folks they don't like do without or have to travel outside the town, or have to pay a premium price to do business at all. Fortunately, this is NOT considered OK nor is it allowed by law.

It used to be common for people to refuse to do business with Jews, too. And to charge them exorbitant prices if they would do business. Ditto African Americans, Chinese, or whatever the hated-minority-of-the-moment is.

Then we grew up as a society and passed laws to put a stop to this sort of bigoted and inhuman behavior.

If ANY human in this country has the right to buy flowers for a wedding, ALL humans have the same right.

This does not in any way impinge on your rights to believe whatever you choose - just to act on it.

No matter how strenuously one believes that (insert derogatory term for black people here) are inferior subhumans, since the passing of the desegregation laws, they are no longer allowed to act on those beliefs.

You no longer have the right to treat gay people as subhuman either.

It's the new millenium. Get used to it.

And btw, they can raise all the money from other bigots they want to with this particular campaign, but I guarantee you - the money won't keep rolling in for every big-mouthed bigot in this country. This particular incident has created a 15-minute celebrity, and one who is going to make out like a bandit to boot - but it won't be sustained. These folks are going to roll over and show their bellies because they are NOT, in fact, primarily xtians, but they are all interested in racking up the filthy lucre.

The dumbest will go out of business, and the rest will suck it up and it will be business as usual - just like when desegregation took place.

Last edited by NeonGecko; 04-03-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 02:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
The one where you can state your religious beliefs and not have the force of the STATE deny you of your livelihood or face angry hoards threatening your business or your family with the support of the STATE.

Read the First Amendment...

Nothing in the first amendment says that bigots can hide behind "religious beliefs."

Read it yourself.

Please.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yep, god is so good that he is directing hundreds of thousands of dollars to this business in America when children are starving, and people killed all over the world.

It seems that god has some messed up priorities.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:45 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Over $784K and counting. And tax-free

Old 04-03-2015, 02:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What is "bigotry" by your definition?
Bigotry is the act of being a bigot. Merriam Webster says this about them:

"Full Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies