Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 02:07 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I still find this kind of sad because it tells me you can't see people of other races as individual people. Believe it or not, there are black and hispanic people out there that are likely a lot more like you than many white people are.
But do you want to live in a place where there is diversity of opinion?

I always recommend the book, "The Big Sort: Why The Clustering of Like Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart" by Bill Bishop. Here are 2 sources of information about the book and how we self-sort when we decide where to live:

"America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. And we are living with the consequences of this way-of-life segregation. Our country has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred, that people don't know and can't understand those who live just a few miles away."

Home

"Bishop investigates "the Big Sort," tracking patterns of migration that reveal that Americans have, over the past three decades, been increasingly sorting themselves into communities where people share the same lifestyle...As geography becomes the most significant predictor of political orientation and liberals and conservatives become concentrated in separate communities, cross-party interaction is whittled down to a minimum, minimizing opportunities for civil discussion that might help to foster political tolerance. The Big Sort is, according to Bishop's findings, responsible for political imbalances that grow more and more pronounced each year. The end result of this mass movement are "balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over politics, but bitter choices between ways of life.""

The Big Sort: When Personal Preferences Build Political Partisanship | Educating the Public on Evidence-based methods for improving inter-group civility. | CivilPolitics.org

I highly recommend the book if you are interested in this topic. I recommended it to my nonfiction book discussion group and they all liked it. I'm conservative and they're all liberal. You'll see Bill Clinton has been known to talk about the book.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:09 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
LOL. It probably was for a year or two.
Yep. Diversity is the period between when the first black folks move into town and the last white people move out.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
LOL. It probably was for a year or two.
It looks like Ferguson was at it's "diversity peak" in 2000 with nearly 1/2 White and 1/2 Black.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But do you want to live in a place where there is diversity of opinion?

I always recommend the book, "The Big Sort: Why The Clustering of Like Minded America Is Tearing Us Apart" by Bill Bishop. Here are 2 sources of information about the book and how we self-sort when we decide where to live:

"America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs. And we are living with the consequences of this way-of-life segregation. Our country has become so polarized, so ideologically inbred, that people don't know and can't understand those who live just a few miles away."

Home

"Bishop investigates "the Big Sort," tracking patterns of migration that reveal that Americans have, over the past three decades, been increasingly sorting themselves into communities where people share the same lifestyle...As geography becomes the most significant predictor of political orientation and liberals and conservatives become concentrated in separate communities, cross-party interaction is whittled down to a minimum, minimizing opportunities for civil discussion that might help to foster political tolerance. The Big Sort is, according to Bishop's findings, responsible for political imbalances that grow more and more pronounced each year. The end result of this mass movement are "balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over politics, but bitter choices between ways of life.""

The Big Sort: When Personal Preferences Build Political Partisanship | Educating the Public on Evidence-based methods for improving inter-group civility. | CivilPolitics.org

I highly recommend the book if you are interested in this topic. I recommended it to my nonfiction book discussion group and they all liked it. I'm conservative and they're all liberal. You'll see Bill Clinton has been known to talk about the book.
I'd say any of your big cities with growing gentrification problems are prime examples.
Pick any of the hot cities and they all have the same issues/problems/solutions and "non solutions" which they avoid...affordable housing being a non solution that they avoid.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
62% White, non Hispanic. The country is changing so I thought to keep you up to date on your demographic figures
Ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
No one is stopping you from moving to Detroit so you can live in a place where you are part of the majority. It doesn't have to be Detroit either. There's plenty of other places for you to go. East St. Louis, Atlanta, Baltimore, Flint, New Orleans, Memphis, the list goes on. So why are you holed up in dusty Arizona where the sight of a Black person is a rarity?
A rarity? My city is 11% black. That's representative of the country at large. It's also 16% Hispanic and 3.5% Asian. No race is a rarity here. At least 4 black families live on my road alone.

And you're right...no one is stopping me from doing anything, but I don't remember ever expressing a desire to go anywhere else. I'm from HERE! My job is here. My wife and son and extended family are HERE. So why exactly would I consider leaving? Tell me.

In fact, where did I express a desire to live where I'd be "in the majority?"

"No one is stopping you." Please. No one is stopping you from jumping off a cliff.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
A rarity? My city is 11% black. That's representative of the country at large. It's also 16% Hispanic and 3.5% Asian. No race is a rarity here. At least 4 black families live on my road alone.

And you're right...no one is stopping me from doing anything, but I don't remember ever expressing a desire to go anywhere else. I'm from HERE! My job is here. My wife and son and extended family are HERE. So why exactly would I consider leaving? Tell me.

In fact, where did I express a desire to live where I'd be "in the majority?"

"No one is stopping you." Please. No one is stopping you from jumping off a cliff.
So you must really like it around all those White people then, where you can lead a safe and comfortable lifestyle? Yet you sneer at the idea of a White person wanting the same. I'd call you a hypocrite, but you so consistently contradict yourself that it would be pointless.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So you must really like it around all those White people then, where you can lead a safe and comfortable lifestyle? Yet you sneer at the idea of a White person wanting the same. I'd call you a hypocrite, but you so consistently contradict yourself that it would be pointless.
I like where I've been all of my life with the exception of when I've lived overseas. Most people like where they come from. This is what I know. So why would I go somewhere else when I'm comfortable living in the place WHERE I'M FROM.

Again, what part of "where I'm from" don't you get?

Safe and comfortable lifestyle? Do you even have a clue as to what you're talking about? This is the home of the Minuteman Project. Anything found anywhere else can easily be found here. This isn't some utopia or the desert version of Mayberry.

Moreover, I'm not sneering at the idea of anyone wanting to live around this group or that group. I'm sneering at people coming online to bytch about it when all they have to do is pack up and move. What are we supposed to do about it? Remove all the undesirables from their city or neighborhood? If "diversity" bothers you so much, move somewhere with no diversity and STHU.

So yeah, you can call me a hypocrite...go ahead. It's idiotic, but hey, why change now?

Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 PM

779 posts, read 927,824 times
There's only value in diversity in America for minorities (African, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, and Native Americans). In my experience(s) the less European Americans a place has, the less racist it is. The European Americans that do live in a diverse society tend to be less outwardly racist for one of two reasons, or maybe a combination of two reasons which are; a.) Their openly racist behavior wouldn't be tolerated in a diverse society or b.) They've done a good enough job of convincing themselves that they're not a racist and that they don't mind living around minorities.

Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM

428 posts, read 344,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
There's only value in diversity in America for minorities (African, Asian, Indian, Hispanic, and Native Americans). In my experience(s) the less European Americans a place has, the less racist it is. The European Americans that do live in a diverse society tend to be less outwardly racist for one of two reasons, or maybe a combination of two reasons which are; a.) Their openly racist behavior wouldn't be tolerated in a diverse society or b.) They've done a good enough job of convincing themselves that they're not a racist and that they don't mind living around minorities.
What exactly is a 'racist' anyhow?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
What exactly is a 'racist' anyhow?
Anyone who is not a liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies