Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 08:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,544,007 times

Advertisements

Don't tell me about diversity until we start seeing diversity in NBA.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 AM

19,570 posts, read 12,181,454 times
Putting race aside, cultural divisions will always exist. I lived in a typical slightly upper middle class suburb and some people had moved in who did not fit in based on lifestyle, no one bothered them but they left because they were not happy. One woman loudly complained about being bored and wanted to go back to her lower class area.

Everyone needs to find their fit, we only have one life so live where you are happy regardless of anyone else's opinion.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:31 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,014,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I respect your opinion, though I disagree. I'm all for diversity, so as long as Western Europeans aren't the majority race in society.
See, how is that not racist? Why is hating a certain demographic (Western Europeans) good? So you want to eliminate most of the Western Europeans so they aren't the majority? WTF?

Sorry but you are a racist. You're choosing to favor other races over the white one. That is racist.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:51 AM

72,935 posts, read 62,497,964 times
When I first heard of this anti-diversity talk, it was all a shock to me. Now, it doesn't shock me. I have to wonder about such persons.

I was born in the mid-1980s, so that might play a part for me. When I think of diversity on my own, I never think "anti-White" or anything like that. For me, it always meant inclusion for all. For me, it was a matter of "your race or color isn't what matters, you and how you are matters" and "we're all different, and at the same time, we have similarities". For me, it was always "out of many, one people". For me reason, I looked at things in this perspective. If you behave yourself and you're a decent person, race/ethnicity is not an issue for me.

There are those who will say "so and so ethnicity has a higher propensity for violence". My response is this. "So what? What does that have to do with ME as an individual? What does it have to do with that other individual who is a decent person, who isn't a criminal?".

I view on an ethnically diverse population is this. Not bad or good. Just is. I care what the individuals are like.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:06 PM

428 posts, read 343,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When I first heard of this anti-diversity talk, it was all a shock to me. Now, it doesn't shock me. I have to wonder about such persons.
To turn it around, why is 'diversity' considered good? More interesting restaurants?

Have you considered why you might have the philosophy you do? Mass media? some sort of peer pressure?

I can't think of another time in history that a ruling elite thought that it was desirable (examples where this happened would be interesting, so serve 'em up).

I suppose that examples like Putnam's study are just another example showing where sociologists are in the business of writing down what everyone already knew.

Quote:

There are those who will say "so and so ethnicity has a higher propensity for violence". My response is this. "So what? What does that have to do with ME as an individual? What does it have to do with that other individual who is a decent person, who isn't a criminal?".
That's an interesting response. You basically see no issue with the statistical likelihood of success or crime in a group of people? Your life would be unchanged whether you lived in Geneva or Lagos?

Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM

72,935 posts, read 62,497,964 times
Quote:
That's an interesting response. You basically see no issue with the statistical likelihood of success or crime in a group of people? Your life would be unchanged whether you lived in Geneva or Lagos?
I never said I didn't issues with crime. What I'm saying is this. What does it have to do with the individuals who aren't committing crimes? I'm speaking of INDIVIDUALS!!

Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM

428 posts, read 343,797 times
Quote:
I never said I didn't issues with crime. What I'm saying is this. What does it have to do with the individuals who aren't committing crimes? I'm speaking of INDIVIDUALS!!

I can't say that 'diversity' has much to do with individuals Discussions about the value of diversity, which usually involves national public policy of some sort, don't revolve around that single indigenous Australian that you might know.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,134,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food

2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.
You're still here? Dude. Get the lead out. You're taking up much-needed resources that can be used by a Cambodian immigrant who makes delicious donuts.

p.s. I've changed my recommendation that you move to Arkansas. I know for a fact there are Mexicans working in the poultry plants in Arkansas. You won't be happy there. You're welcome.

p.p.s. You want a white-bread place with people just like you. Quit wrapping yourself if the flag (you don't own it - it belongs to all of us) claiming you want an American city. All the neighborhoods you don't like are in American cities. The citizens of those cities come in a variety of colors and there is no law that says we have to speak English* so you'll be happy. If tamales (mmmmmm.....tamales!!) give you heartburn Google "foods white people like" and see where it takes you.

Chop.chop.

*Yes it's true. Americans are allowed to speak Navajo.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-06-2015 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 01:47 PM

62,835 posts, read 29,063,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
See, how is that not racist? Why is hating a certain demographic (Western Europeans) good? So you want to eliminate most of the Western Europeans so they aren't the majority? WTF?

Sorry but you are a racist. You're choosing to favor other races over the white one. That is racist.
Absolutely and that is why I have that racist on ignore.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 PM

39,127 posts, read 27,532,016 times
Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood. I think putting yourself in others' shoes will eliminate a lot of problems.

Maybe because I am Japanese/white/Hawaiian mixed, I can understand a lot of people around me. At the end of the day, NO ONE wants to feel like a stranger in their own homes. I can honestly say there are NO Japanese in Japan wants the country to be taken over by another culture. How can you blame an American person who wants the same thing?

There was and is hateful over racism and discrimination, no one can really deny that, but over time, we have settled down into a mix of incorporation and shared aspiration.

What is multiculturalism? In part, it is an ideology that celebrates the diversity of cultures (especially traditionally oppressed groups) and emphasizes their contributions to society. This is the part of multiculturalism that is compatible with a western civilization worldview.We cannot, however, ignore the less well known, but problematic worldview at the heart of multiculturalism.

For example, why do we need to tolerate radical muslim Jihad training camps all over the country? why do we need to tolerate illegal immigrants?

I don't believe Europeans are a superior people, no not at all. but I do believe many of the idea and philosophies that came out of the European Renaissance and Enlightenment are worth learning the teaching.

Multiculturalism to a certain degree, is the product of political defeat.

I remember that I read it somewhere, says Diversity is important, not in and of itself, but because it allows us to expand our horizons, to compare and contrast different values, beliefs and lifestyles, and make judgements upon them. Because of diversity, we know what value and culture should be respected and learned from, which value system is flawed and defective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies