Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 AM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 537,236 times

Advertisements

2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food

2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:16 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Diversity is a fetish for some people, don't ask me why. It's considered "good" for its own sake. Personally, there are some kinds of diversity that I like, and others not so much.

We hear a lot that "diversity is our strength" but I think a better case can be made that non-diverse societies have stronger social cohesion. I believe someone did some scholarly research on this, and came to the exact same conclusion; but I don't recall the specifics. Certainly, the historic trend has been that most people in most places in most times have preferred to be around people like themselves. "Diversity" for its own sake seems to be a recent innovation.

Plenty of people on this forum will add "diverse" to the list of characteristics they're looking for in a new city. Well, that's fine, whatever makes you happy. But I see nothing at all wrong in saying that one might prefer to live in a non-diverse area, surrounded by people much like themselves.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM

Exactly man! I have no problem with people wanting to live wherever. But I feel as though on this website my preferences for non-diversity and less "vibrant" areas are attacked.

I feel no social cohesion here, and people will say that comes from living in a big city, but it was the same in small towns out in the desert. I feel it somewhat in my current location, but my current location has demographics very similar to me (most native Californians - LA refugees - who are Caucasian and conservative).

So much intolerance in the name of tolerance

Old 04-03-2015, 07:28 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
For me, diversity is valuable and part of what I look for in a place to live because I like to be exposed to people who are different than me. I believe it helps me learn and grow as a person. My fiance and I are planning a move now, and one of the things for us is to find a place we can raise our kids that will allow them to, at the very least, be exposed to people who different from them. Our hope is that that exposure will help them avoid developing an ignorance or intolerance toward cultures different from their own.

I've had this conversation with others, and was asked "If you teach your children to be accepting of others, why would it matter how diverse the city you live in is?" My response is that I will attempt to instill in my children a tolerance for others regardless of where we live, but teaching a child to be tolerant is different than having to experience it first-hand. It's like reading a travel book. I can read about Alaska all day long, but nothing replaces actually going there and seeing it in person.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
For me, diversity is valuable and part of what I look for in a place to live because I like to be exposed to people who are different than me. I believe it helps me learn and grow as a person. My fiance and I are planning a move now, and one of the things for us is to find a place we can raise our kids that will allow them to, at the very least, be exposed to people who different from them. Our hope is that that exposure will help them avoid developing an ignorance or intolerance toward cultures different from their own.

I've had this conversation with others, and was asked "If you teach your children to be accepting of others, why would it matter how diverse the city you live in is?" My response is that I will attempt to instill in my children a tolerance for others regardless of where we live, but teaching a child to be tolerant is different than having to experience it first-hand. It's like reading a travel book. I can read about Alaska all day long, but nothing replaces actually going there and seeing it in person.
But do you think it's bad that I don't feel similarly.

I feel like living in a very diverse place has caused me to be a bit intolerant and resentful at times. I don't like it, I feel no connection to about 80% of the people in my metro area culturally and it drives me nuts.

You're entitled to live where you want, but is it offensive to you that a "non diverse" place is a top priority for me?

Old 04-03-2015, 07:36 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Diversity doesn't just include racial diversity, but also includes religion, culture, politics, social class, and economy.

When you're living in a diverse community there is a diverse range of jobs to choose from, a diverse range of stores to shop at, and a diverse range of skills and resources to address problems.

Diversity keeps one group of people from gaining too much power. Diversity is good for business and good for democracy.

Different perspectives provide you with a nuanced ways of thinking about the world and ways solving problems. Being around a diverse lot of people makes you more accepting, open-minded, and less-likely to buy into untrue or exaggerated stereotypes.

I don't think it's morally wrong if you prefer to be around people like yourself; it just shows that you're probably stubborn, stuck in your ways, maybe not the most critical thinker, and not particularly interested in experiencing new things.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-03-2015 at 07:45 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Move to the middle of Iowa.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:50 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
But do you think it's bad that I don't feel similarly.

I feel like living in a very diverse place has caused me to be a bit intolerant and resentful at times. I don't like it, I feel no connection to about 80% of the people in my metro area culturally and it drives me nuts.

You're entitled to live where you want, but is it offensive to you that a "non diverse" place is a top priority for me?
Nope. Your decisions have no bearing on my own.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Move to the middle of Iowa.
My shortlist is TN, MO, AR, AL or IN

And as for the dawn davenport poster, I'm not stubborn..but no I am not interested in trying new things really, I'm a very "old" young person and set in my ways. I'm content with boring and familiar. Work 9-5, sleep in on Saturday, Church on Sunday etc. I don't like ethnic food (Mexican gives me heartburn and the smell of Asian food makes me gag) and pretty much just eat steak, chicken, or potatoes...only speak English and that's about it lol.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:15 AM

62,940 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
2 questions

1. What is so special about diversity? Besides the food

2. Why is it bad if I don't want to live in a diverse place? At least culturally, color is a non-factor to me, culture is...I live in "multicultural" SoCal my whole life and I find the mess of languages and cultures divisive. I would like to live in a place where I don't have to avoid entire neighborhoods because nobody speaks my language or has any commonality culturally with me. I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.
I have no thing about skin color either. However, culture clash is quite another thing. I don't desire to live in an entire "Anglophone" society myself. Just that we have Americans that desire to be a part of the melting pot instead of trying to stand out and be different and divisive. I don't care what language or culture one wants to practice at home but out in mainstream blend in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies