Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
No. The narrower concept that you want to label as legitimate self-interest is both informed and respectful of the interests of others. This does not undo the premise that what might then be called parasitic self-interest (the kind that disregards the legitimate interests of others, as originally proposed) is selfish...
Where, and how, I want to live is my business - not the "states" -

If I want to build a 10,000 sq foot home - so be it. If I want 10 A/C units on it - so be it. If I want a fleet of cars and trucks - RV/Motorhomes - that is my business, not the governments

That is what freedom is all about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 03:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,404,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I will not change to suit some left-wing agenda.
It doesn't have anything to do with any partisan agenda from either side. It has to do with whether one is able to recognize and respect the legitimate interests that stakeholders other than oneself may have in the taking or not taking of any contemplated action. The issue goes as much toward simple morality as it does toward politics...

Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That is what freedom is all about.
It is not what society is all about. You want personal sovereignty. The right to pure and unbridled self-interest in the face of evident harm done to others. No free society tolerates such selfish behavior...

Old 01-18-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
It is not what society is all about. You want personal sovereignty. The right to pure and unbridled self-interest in the face of evident harm done to others. No free society tolerates such selfish behavior...
Building a home to suit me is selfish?

Having the types of vehicles that I want is selfish?

You want the government to control what I can own? What I can drive? The type of home I want?

Forget the washington speak - just yes or no to each question will suffice -

Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Building a home to suit me is selfish? Having the types of vehicles that I want is selfish? You want the government to control what I can own? What I can drive? The type of home I want? Forget the washington speak - just yes or no to each question will suffice -
Given that it's very likely a social brigand on the other end of the line, the answer is Yes to all of them. Social brigands cannot be trusted...

Old 01-18-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Given that it's very likely a social brigand on the other end of the line, the answer is Yes to all of them. Social brigands cannot be trusted...

Too funny!

Old 01-18-2008, 09:43 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,154,131 times
I can not believe that people would give up hard fought freedoms in this country so easily.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:51 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,154,131 times
Quote:
It doesn't have anything to do with any partisan agenda from either side. It has to do with whether one is able to recognize and respect the legitimate interests that stakeholders other than oneself may have in the taking or not taking of any contemplated action. The issue goes as much toward simple morality as it does toward politics...
Actually, most restrictions imposed on individual freedoms seem to originate on the left side of the political spectrum. I wonder why?

Old 01-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Too funny!
Too true, actually!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Actually, most restrictions imposed on individual freedoms seem to originate on the left side of the political spectrum. I wonder why?
False premise. You've got all your war-mongering, union-busting, prison-boosting, medical-care-witholding, tax-evading, immigrant-bashing, abortion-banning, death-penalty-espousing, gay-restricting whackjobs over there on your side of the fence. Asking that people behave as if they undertsood that more than just a single interested party might happen to live around here doesn't really seem like so much in comparison...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies