Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,891,437 times

Advertisements

A federal transportation commission recommends raising the federal gas tax 40 cents over the next five years.

Transit panel urges gas tax increase - Yahoo! News (broken link)

www.kansascity.com | 01/15/2008 | Federal commission seeks up to 40 cent-a-gallon increase in gas tax (broken link)

The gas tax has not been raised since 1993, and revenue has not kept up with every increasing expenses for road construction, maintenance, and transit.

Although raising the tax will be costly for everyone, I like it when bridges don't collapse while I am driving over them. Additionally, the tax should encourage fuel efficiency and transit use, which will cut our reliance on foreign oil.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 01-15-2008 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: fixed grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,032,982 times
I would like to see a much more dramatic increase in the gas tax with the proceeds going to mass transit systems and alternative fuels.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,540,338 times
My question is why does the answer always come in the form of additional tax? Why does nobody in government ever come up with the idea that they can look at the wasteful spending, cut that, and use it to pay for things? When I need something, I can't force my employer to pay me more to cover it. I have to look and see where I can cut back. Citizens will have to do that in order to pay for the additional tax because the government refuses to do so.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,519,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
My question is why does the answer always come in the form of additional tax? Why does nobody in government ever come up with the idea that they can look at the wasteful spending, cut that, and use it to pay for things? When I need something, I can't force my employer to pay me more to cover it. I have to look and see where I can cut back. Citizens will have to do that in order to pay for the additional tax because the government refuses to do so.

Concur with this, plus most transportation is a state issue and I stongly believe that additional gas tax should be left to the states to manage for their infrastructure. Outside of the Interstate system and some other exceptions, state highways, county roads, and city streets are not federal responsibilities.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:56 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,439,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Concur with this, plus most transportation is a state issue and I stongly believe that additional gas tax should be left to the states to manage for their infrastructure. Outside of the Interstate system and some other exceptions, state highways, county roads, and city streets are not federal responsibilities.

Do you believe that any one state has the economic wherewithal to subsidize the creation of a major portion of a new national transportation infrastructure to replace the present gasoline-based system?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:58 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,519,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Do you believe that any one state has the economic wherewithal to subsidize the creation of a major portion of a new national transportation infrastructure to replace the present gasoline-based system?
You make an assumption that there is a need to create a new national transportation infrastucture. I don't make that assumption, so yes, I still believe its a States issue and not a federal issue.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,858,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
A federal transportation commission recommends raising the federal gas tax 40 cents over the next five years.

Transit panel urges gas tax increase - Yahoo! News (broken link)

www.kansascity.com | 01/15/2008 | Federal commission seeks up to 40 cent-a-gallon increase in gas tax (broken link)

The gas tax has not been raised since 1993, and revenue has not kept up with every increasing expenses for road construction, maintenance, and transit.

Although raising the tax will be costly for everyone, I like it when bridges don't collapse while I am driving over them. Additionally, the tax should encourage fuel efficiency and transit use, which will cut our reliance on foreign oil.
As the Transit panel urges a tax increase, I'd like to urge for one, just $.01, for the sole purpose of funding my transportation operation. If they have the right to ask for taxes upon the mass, so they can use it, then I think we all have the right.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:27 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,380,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
My question is why does the answer always come in the form of additional tax? Why does nobody in government ever come up with the idea that they can look at the wasteful spending, cut that, and use it to pay for things?
Name some wasteful spending. Try to make a list of things that are actually wasteful, as opposed to things you don't personally approve of or think to be important in your little world.

Meanwhile, taxes are what government does. Public activity is publicly funded. Plans such as the one contemplated in this thread were under serious consideration at the highest level 30 years ago. Then Reagan came a long and killed them all (along with the renewable energy tax credits), putting all our national energy policy eggs into the one basket of the private sector. What have we gotten out of that in a generation and a half? SUV's. Now that an avoidable crisis has not been avoided and may in fact be almost upon us, it's about time people started demanding that we kick the people who either can't or won't do the job out of the decision-making loop and start actually accomplishing something. Whiners need not apply...

Last edited by saganista; 01-15-2008 at 04:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2008, 07:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,707,067 times
I don't support any tax increase. Let local governments decide how to deal with local roads and bridges.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,891,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Outside of the Interstate system and some other exceptions, state highways, county roads, and city streets are not federal responsibilities.
Doesn't the federal gas tax get spent primarily on interstate and other major highways? I don't think state, county, or city roads receive federal gas tax funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies