Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:51 AM

29,380 posts, read 16,289,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I was in the Navy stationed at the then Alameda NAS. I hated it. The state seemed to have its hand perpetually in my back pocket attempting to siphon money out. I had bought a '66 Mustang and restored it. Stupid me registered and tagged it in CA. Should have done it in VA where my home of record was with the Navy.

CA then decided since I registered and tagged a vehicle in CA, I was on the hook for their state income taxes. They sent threatening letter after threatening letter to pay back taxes. Each one was responded to that my home of record is VA and therefore not subject to their income tax. The last letter came while I was on deployment in the Persian Gulf that said unless I paid back taxes, an arrest warrant would be sworn out. I was thoroughly fed up and I said come and get me. The JAG office got involved and was able to get the state off of my back. Apparently attempts at garnishing my paycheck had occurred each time the Navy denied them the money because of my stated state of residence.

Then a douche from my ship used my name to some woman who he knocked up and then transferred. I got hit with the paternity suit and finally a DNA test and my TDY orders indicated I was at sea at the time of conception, the courts relented. They weren't too concerned with the fact I wasn't the father, rather I was some putz who they decided was going to pay any way.

When I left the Navy and drove away and left the state, I never looked back and haven't been back since.

I hate California and their politics.
That has nothing to do with politics, you had residency in their state to get a vehicle tag, and your friend in the navy lied and used your name.

The same thing would happen in any state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 10:56 AM

29,380 posts, read 16,289,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

Are there other people able to do this with ease? Does it ever annoy you to the point that you feel like you can't handle it? I know it works both ways also, with liberals in conservative areas. I mean sure, I always felt like my California Republican voter card was about as useful as a blank sheet of paper (kidding) but I'm able to block it out and just focus on the positives I guess. Just thought I'd get other peoples' perspectives. I also know there are tons of people that would never even imagine being able to live somewhere that disagrees with their points of view so much.
I love Alabama, but sometimes it is hard,other times it is funny, and sometimes it is just sad.

Right now for example, republicans control all State wide elected offices, every seat on the supreme court, and super majorities in the state legislature. And yet, they are forced to raise taxes because of shortfalls in the budget(not overspending). And now, the legislature and the Governor are being called "Democrats". It seems when you cant blame Democrats for your problems, you just call the republicans the new Democrats LOL

Old 04-03-2015, 11:10 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,069,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
All but the last 8 years I lived in liberal New York (NYC and Long Island), liberal Washington DC and liberal Maryland. When I moved to conservative Tennessee in retirement, I thought, FINALLY, my vote will count/mean something on Election Day. And you know what? Now that I'm in Tennessee, all of my candidates (governor, rep, senators, president) lose in the primaries.

Since I was a Fed, I was surrounded by people who voted Democrat but that had more to do with their paycheck and benefits than any political ideology.

I didn't realize how bad NY was until I left it and that is because of the very liberal media also being there and my move out coinciding with the rise of the Internet. Back in the old days when you read newspapers for news and only had the 3 broadcast channels, plus later on CNN, you didn't get another side to a story. How can you be for or against something you don't even know about?

I love Tennessee, which except for Nashville and Memphis is conservative but I didn't dislike any other place I lived in, either. Each place was right for me at the time in my life that I lived there and politics took a back seat. My issues had more to do with living in a big city versus living in a small town or suburbia.
I grew up in suburban Nashville (and live here again for a few more months) so it's interesting to hear your perspective.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:27 AM

18,399 posts, read 6,996,044 times
I grew up and lived in upstate NY until my early 30's.

I didn't really pay much attention to politics back then, but eventually New York's economy and ultra liberal politics ended up putting a big hurt on me career wise which made me start paying more attention to how decisions made by the govenment that I was ignoring could effect my life in a negative way.

This made me grow more conservative in my views very quickly, and I realized that there was nothing in NY for me economically speaking. So I put NY behind me and left for the lower taxes and greener career pastures of North Carolina.

But I really miss upstate NY, in some ways it is where my heart really is and I still visit relatives there about once a year.
But every time I go home, I am quickly and starkly reminded of why I left......Urban decay, bad roads, no jobs, no growth and an ever increasing dependant population point out the blunt realization of how right I was to leave and how horrible liberal tax and spend policies have been for the home that I love.

I guess what they say is true....
You can't go home again.....especially if your home is Liberal.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM

13,687 posts, read 5,450,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Boy you nailed it! You live in northeast Ohio, correct? Even though this area is seen as a democratic hot bed there is still plenty of both around here for sure! Needless to say, this state politically is all over the board! As for hiding my beliefs! I say if one doesn't like it then they can kiss my white American a**! If you ask me, I'll tell you, as I have no problem discussing them and can do so without it being perceived as forcing them on another (and there is a way to do so without being a prick), will always try debate in a constructive way, and who knows perhaps that person will use the perspective that I offer as a mind opening experience. If not, oh well. I mean, for example... my cousin is for the most part a bleeding heart liberal! He lives in Kentucky, is in the union and lives down there due to a job transfer. He totally drinks the progressive kool aid.. the south is racist, Ron Paul is a kook, tea partiers are kooks... yada yada. I have a friend up the street that proclaims to be a republican... and while he and I agree on a number of things, he still drinks the partisan kool aid, tells me that my vote is wasted, and will insure that Hillary gets elected, thinks one should be required to take an IQ test to vote...yada yada. In other words he also fails to see the big picture that both mainstream parties are 2 sides of the same coin, and have become authoritarian in nature.
Yeah, I got used to the "you waste your vote" nonsense in 1992 when I was in the military and voted for Perot. Didn't bother me then, and all I've done is grow my disdain and general anitpathy for the two headed Leviathan.

And I won't live in NE Ohio forever. A state with a friendlier climate, both in actual weather and how the folks pulling the cart get treated, is calling. Not much longer, I assure you. Still won't surround me with like minded libertarian thinkers, since there's only like two dozen or so of us in the whole world it seems like, but can get less annoyance forced on me by the powers that be. And yeah, that sailboat thing is not mere fantasy talk....that's my anti-tyranny insurance.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:01 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,368,134 times
It makes a difference... not necessarily for the people (who actually discusses political views?!?!), but for the policy. Here in the Northeast there are still plenty of conservatives. They make snide comments but generally keep to themselves.

I will always try to live in more liberal areas, because their states have better quality of life in important metrics - health, education, etc. If I move to the conservative South, my vote will just get gerrymandered away. I would never allow my children to go to school in the South either.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,218,795 times
I live in California albeit a more conservative town in the mountains. If you are center or right of center your vote does not count in this state. If you voice your opinion in a casual conversation in some of the more liberal confines you more than likely will be verbally assualted by the "tolerant" left. And the liberal bent in this states translates into higher taxes and fees which support a wide variety of people who usually don't contribute to the coffers of the state. It is time for me to leave in just a matter of weeks. It will be hard to find the sheer beauty of my surroundings in another state but for my mental well being as well as my wallet I think it will be best. I'm tired of the militant attitude of this state.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:52 PM

5,291 posts, read 2,330,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
I'm a voluntaryist libertarian. The only place I can live and be free to discuss politics is by myself on a sailboat in the middle of an ocean. I leave it alone at work, at home, with family, out on the town, etc.

There's a bunch of stuff that stays in the closet in the modern day - being really smart, being an individualist, being logically consistent. Good practice to hide all of the above if you want to successfully navigate life without trouble. Been hiding smart since I was kid and took one too many beatings for it, and political forums have taught me that individualist, libertarian and logically consistent is a combo about 99% likely to enrage damn near anyone, so best left unsaid or under a fake name in Internet anonymity.

No matter where I live, I'll have the problem, because liberal thought police thugs and right wing zealots are the same to me. Both want to control my thinking and actions somehow, and will encourage their hired goons in government to harm me until I am docile and compliant. Nowhere is safe from that.
This. I moved to Madison recently, notoriously progressive, so most are going to be diametrically opposed to my views, but it isn't all that different than the more conservative area I lived in previously. Even statist libertarians get upset when I talk about my political views at times. I just enjoy the city for its walkability, restaurants and nightlife, and the lakes, trails, etc. if I want to change it up a bit. I'll stick out politically wherever I am, although I see more and more people becoming AnCaps, so who knows how long that will be true.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:54 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,891,929 times
You work in the right field. When I was living in the heart of darkness in San Francisco I had plenty of like minded conservatives in my office. Having someone to mock and laugh at the insanity around you helps allot.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 PM

18,399 posts, read 6,996,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
I live in California albeit a more conservative town in the mountains. If you are center or right of center your vote does not count in this state. If you voice your opinion in a casual conversation in some of the more liberal confines you more than likely will be verbally assualted by the "tolerant" left. And the liberal bent in this states translates into higher taxes and fees which support a wide variety of people who usually don't contribute to the coffers of the state. It is time for me to leave in just a matter of weeks. It will be hard to find the sheer beauty of my surroundings in another state but for my mental well being as well as my wallet I think it will be best. I'm tired of the militant attitude of this state.

Come out to North Carolina, it's is not a bastion of Conservatism, but compared to California and NY it's practically RNC headquarters.
And the western part of the state can be stunningly beautiful in the Smokey Mtn region.

Cities like Ashville and Boone in the mountains are more liberal than the rest of the state, but everything is relative. Even those cities are purple in comparison to L.A. and San Francisco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies