Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Its what liberals do.
Agreed. Conservatives were vehemently opposed to nation-building Iraq and Afghanistan.

[wait...]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 05:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Actually, I don't deserve more money. I'm getting more than I deserve already. But why should that preclude me from asking? It's MY career! And no burger flipper has a right to say that I shouldn't ask for more because it's none of their business.
like i said before, you have the right to ask for more money, i never said different. just like they have the right to ask for more money as well. and the employers have the right to offer a different amount which you can accept or reject.

Quote:
If the damn prices go up, then I simply won't buy a burger. My life isn't gonna end because I can't afford a McDonald's happy meal.

So a Big Mac goes up a few cents. Big deal. You think the price should stay the same forever?

Or are you just broke?
you are missing the problem here. these people ask for more money, lets say they get what they want. now the price of mcdonalds food goes up, fairly substantially, so now it costs more to buy from mcds. there are going to be people that go to different restaurants so mcds loses sales, and if enough sales are lost, these employees that got the money they wanted are now losing their jobs due to lack of business. nice job negotiating themselves out of a job there.

but that is only the start. now more people are going to demand raises at their companies, which means higher prices across the board, which means everyone is right back where they started, that $15 per hour isnt then considered a "living wage", what ever the heck that is, and then they demand more money, and teh whole cycle starts over again. we call this inflation, and it can be quite harmful to the economy.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Bring on the robots!

Old 04-03-2015, 05:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
like i said before, you have the right to ask for more money, i never said different. just like they have the right to ask for more money as well. and the employers have the right to offer a different amount which you can accept or reject.

you are missing the problem here. these people ask for more money, lets say they get what they want. now the price of mcdonalds food goes up, fairly substantially, so now it costs more to buy from mcds. there are going to be people that go to different restaurants so mcds loses sales, and if enough sales are lost, these employees that got the money they wanted are now losing their jobs due to lack of business. nice job negotiating themselves out of a job there.

but that is only the start. now more people are going to demand raises at their companies, which means higher prices across the board, which means everyone is right back where they started, that $15 per hour isnt then considered a "living wage", what ever the heck that is, and then they demand more money, and teh whole cycle starts over again. we call this inflation, and it can be quite harmful to the economy.
McDonald's already had to raise prices due to the cost of meat.
And they did lose customers.

And have been losing both (customers and money) since 2012.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:57 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
McDonald's already had to raise prices due to the cost of meat.
And they did lose customers.

And have been losing both (customers and money) since 2012.
These sheeple who protest don't know any better. They are lambs being led to unemployment by poliical activists who don't care that they have families to feed.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
These sheeple who protest don't know any better. They are lambs being led to unemployment by poliical activists who don't care that they have families to feed.
Actually the SIEU is behind the $15/hour FF worker wage because they stand to gain from it.
Their salaries are pegged on a percent over min wage. Raise the min wage and they get automatic raises themselves.

And the unions don't care about these burger flippers..it's all about raises for themselves.

Just Why Are The Unions Supporting A Rise In The Minimum Wage? - Forbes
The real reason is that some unions and their members directly benefit from minimum wage increases—even when nary a union member actually makes the minimum wage.

The Center for Union Facts analyzed collective-bargaining agreements obtained from the Department of Labor’s Office of Labor-Management Standards. The data indicate that a number of unions in the service, retail and hospitality industries peg their base-line wages to the minimum wage.
But the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union says that pegging its wages to the federal minimum is commonplace. On its website, the UFCW notes that “oftentimes, union contracts are triggered to implement wage hikes in the case of minimum wage increases.†Such increases, the UFCW says, are “one of the many advantages of being a union member.â€

Old 04-03-2015, 06:08 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,409,326 times
Well that is it in a nutshell. Thanks for sharing that Happy Texan.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:12 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
people have the right to ask for any wage they desire. The company can always fire them all and hire replacements.. I don't understand why the right has such a problem with the little guy demanding higher wages... it's part of the free market ideology. If everyone demanded higher wages it certainly would be an interesting thing to watch.

In most cases people take any wage they can because they need the work to support their family.. understandable. Those with a desire for more can certainly achieve more, in a number of ways... society doesn't teach this sort of critical thinking stuff in schools.. it teaches one to be an obedient little cog in the machine.

Manual labor work may not require skill but it's certainly not 'easy' (well some if it is certainly harder than others) and inflation adjusted pays some of the lowest wages in a number of decades. Automation, strong dollar and everything. Their protesting is not hurting you, so why worry about it? Cheerleading for the big multinational corporations?

Old 04-03-2015, 06:18 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
My only question would be..Who the Heck mentioned "College Degree" money?..What's being discussed is raising minimum wages by a dollar/hour ( some benefits of working for a living) Minimum wage has never keep up with Inflation. In fact, it hasn't been raised for decade+..Poverty wage...Who the Heck is talking about "College Degree" expected wages?? >even tho there are many minimum wage earners making poverty wage with College Degrees. Why? Because the job market sucks and they need to work and often more than one job...Telling them to pull up their pants or boot straps is so misguided and so pre-60's

So customer's have to pay an extra few cents per burger/french fry's ..It's always been that way.."Cost of doing business" always gets passed onto Customer ( always has been and will continue to be so)
A few extra cents? Ivars in Seattle is increasing pay to $15/hour and raising prices by 21% to cover it. You really think a 21% increase isn't going to have an impact? Its exactly what people (not liberals) have been saying will happen, if you force an increase in wages prices will go up to compensate, putting the unskilled minimum wage earners right back where they started from.

Old 04-03-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
A few extra cents? Ivars in Seattle is increasing pay to $15/hour and raising prices by 21% to cover it. You really think a 21% increase isn't going to have an impact? Its exactly what people (not liberals) have been saying will happen, if you force an increase in wages prices will go up to compensate, putting the unskilled minimum wage earners right back where they started from.
To some people everything can be done if we increase the price by $.03.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies