Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 07:42 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,000,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL

there is one single reason for owning a gun. The constitution says that right shall not be infringed.

what that means is, the right is innate and government has NO RIGHT to take it away. period. move along.
Once this very same Constitution said I could own as many slaves as I want and in 1857 the Supreme Court affirmed this Right in the Dred Scott decision . This same Constitution once made it a felony to make , distribute or sell alcoholic sprits. Imagine going to prison for having a bottle of Jack Daniel's in the old calaboose. So the Constitution is not the 10 Commandments and no right is innate even if the Founding Fathers chose to make it so. And when the Constitution begins to fail the nation and becomes an enemy to the General Welfare there's a perfectly legal constitutional means to amend it and remove the defect. After all life would stink, if one could do time for having a fifth Seagram's Canadian Club in the house.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,826,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Militias were to be ready, distributed, common. Again, the people, not the state.
Given the context of the time, the state (ie, the fed gov't) was in the process of being formed/established. Militia were not at the ready, enlistments were short, many times supplies almost nonexistent. The founding fathers had an absolute horror of standing/professional armies (especially after their experiences with the British), thus the reliance on the militia as the primary force of the day.

When I mentioned National Guard, I included the word inactive. That was as close a context that I can think of in todays terms. The militia was not a reserve either. Not in todays meaning.

Actually, it was a neat concept and worked very well for those times.

Last edited by Weichert; 04-03-2015 at 07:56 PM..

Old 04-03-2015, 07:48 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,089,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Once this very same Constitution said I could own as many slaves as I want and in 1857 the Supreme Court affirmed this Right in the Dred Scott decision . This same Constitution once made it a felony to make , distribute or sell alcoholic sprits. Imagine going to prison for having a bottle of Jack Daniel's in the old calaboose. So the Constitution is not the 10 Commandments and no right is innate even if the Founding Fathers chose to make it so. And when the Constitution begins to fail the nation and becomes an enemy to the General Welfare there's a perfectly legal constitutional means to amend it and remove the defect. After all life would stink, if one could do time for having a fifth Seagram's Canadian Club in the house.
Feel free to amend the second amendment any time you think you can accomplish the following......

How is the Constitution amended?
Article V of the Constitution prescribes how an amendment can be amended. Two - thirds of the House and Senate approve of the proposal and send it to the states for a vote. Then, three-fourths of the states must affirm the proposed Amendment.

The other method of passing an amendment requires a Constitutional Convention to be called by two-thirds of the legislatures of the States. That Convention can propose as many amendments as it deems necessary. Those amendments must be approved by three-fourths of the states.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:02 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,020,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorc140 View Post
When President Hillary appoints new members to the supreme court after 2016, the first thing they will do is overturn Heller vs. DC
Not likely. This post only serves to show your lack of understanding of how SCOTUS works.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 PM

46,370 posts, read 27,192,583 times
Quote:
Weichert is very right. Public opinion is turning rapidly against gun nuts. There are more gun sales, but to fewer and fewer gun owners.

When president Hillary takes office in January 2017, her first course of action will be looking for suitable justices to replace the current justices who will soon retire. These justices will have common gunsense, and will overturn Heller vs. DC as the nation turns more and more against gun owners
Except, as normal for anti gunners, you provide no links....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW W

Who woulda thunk it?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,826,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
And you would be wrong:

Gallup:
_"Less Than Half of Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws"_
Less Than Half of Americans Support Stricter Gun Laws

Pew:
_"Growing Public Support for Gun Rights"_
"More Say Guns Do More to Protect Than Put People at Risk"
Growing Public Support for Gun Rights | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
I'm referring to nut jobs carrying weapons in stores, malls, prancing down the street with the weapons strapped to their waist, ready to shoot on a whim (so to speak).

Old 04-03-2015, 08:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,235,264 times
Quote:
Weichert is very right. Public opinion is turning rapidly against gun nuts. There are more gun sales, but to fewer and fewer gun owners.

When president Hillary takes office in January 2017, her first course of action will be looking for suitable justices to replace the current justices who will soon retire. These justices will have common gunsense, and will overturn Heller vs. DC as the nation turns more and more against gun owners
Apparently you live in lala land. Out here in the real world we laugh at people who hold these opinions. It doesn't matter what you overturn or what laws you make, the guns are not going anywhere.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I'm referring to nut jobs carrying weapons in stores, malls, prancing down the street with the weapons strapped to their waist, ready to shoot on a whim (so to speak).
Anything to back this up....please don't use the open carry from texas pics either...

I want to see people prancing down the street, carrying weapons into stores and malls and I really want to see people that have weapons strapped to their waist ready to shoot...

Please provide those pics....really, if you can thousands of people will gladly stand behind you....

Old 04-03-2015, 08:09 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,020,601 times
Quote:
Why not? It was an attrocious decision, and the majority of the country supports its repeal
First, there needs to be a case ready to be brought to SCOTUS. Your proposition that this would be the first thing a new SCOTUS would consider indicates your ignorance of the process by which to court operates.

Second, there is a long history of stare decisis (sorry about the use of Latin, you'll need to do some research to understand that term)

Third, the majority of the country does not disagree with the decision

Old 04-03-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Why not? It was an attrocious decision, and the majority of the country supports its repeal

Will you EVER provide a link to show this? What majority of the country are you talking about?

IF you were really a PSG, I feel sorry for every Soldier you ever had contact with....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.