Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 AM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
He changed his mind to be polically expedient. We all know that his former pastor Jeremiah Wright would never condone homosexuality.
Both Reverend Wright and their parent denomination the United Church of Christ supported same sex marriage back then. It made President Obama's claim about "his Christian faith" making him be against same sex marriage even more galling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 11:40 AM

187 posts, read 195,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
What you are is a tool. The left's wet dream is the fracturing of the coalition that is the Republican party. They want a Libertarian Republican Party of 25% and a Christian Republican Party of 22%, each supporting different candidate so Democrats can win with less than a majority.

You do know that Bill Clinton only got 43% of the vote right? The Libertarians went for Perot (19%) and the Christians stayed with Bush (37%). Bush got 16% lower with Perot in the race.

You should be talking to the Christians in the party as to why the GOP should embrace gays not trying to push the Christians out of the party.

Hmmm...Interesting take on my political beliefs. If you would please reread my post I stated "" Fundamentalist Christianity "" not all Christians.

I am a Christian and attend church every Sunday that both affirms and embraces all people regardless of their sexual or gender orientation. The continuing segregation of Gay people from a party based upon Constitutional values is quite counter productive to the GOP. I'm an NRA life member, for militarization of our southern border and the complete removal of illegals from our country. If the Tea Party would simply drop the whole Gay is the devil BS I'd be a member.

Many Christian denominations have been evolving for over a decade concerning their particular doctrine concerning homosexuality.

What has not is fundamentalist Christianity. I was raised in the Assembly of God Church where a strict doctrine of exclusionary ""my way or the highway"" was taught.

I'm sorry things are not appearing bright for the fundamentalists, they have had numerous chances to be inclusive.

You can continue to call me names , I'm not bothered by it.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:16 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,134,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
More likely, rather than a hate he was a shameful political opportunist in 2008, pandering to an ignorant hateful base that is blinded by the Bible.

Bill Clinton as well. At the time he signed that bill, Clinton was known to dine and hob knob with prominent rich gay guys who boosted him politically.
History of the Democrat party 'Not being held accountable for what they say and do'. The party of Hypocrites.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,268,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just curious.

I see LWNJ's here flinging the h-word around with abandon at anyone who doesn't raise their pom-poms in favor of gay marriage.

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” - April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.
No, everyone was entitled to their opinion. He made it clear that we would not infiltrate his RELIGION into law. Nice try, though.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:21 PM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
The majority of people who now support (or acquiesce) gay marriage went through the same evolution of beliefs. They came to accept an idea that at one time they opposed. In fact, the speed at which this transformation overtook America is absolutely unprecedented. Now Obama's remarks were likely lies for political cover. But Clinton was genuine. He just changed like most of the rest of us did.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:22 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,774,794 times
I don't quite understand the point of this thread... besides the usual hating on eeeeebil Libruls.

Republicans by and large oppose gay marriage and always have.

Democrats by and large support gay marriage, but that hasn't always been the case.

I'm supposed to see these two positions as somehow equivalent??

Fact is that I personally used to oppose gay marriage. Then I 'evolved' on the issue. So ****in' what?

Old 04-04-2015, 12:32 PM

26,559 posts, read 15,127,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I don't quite understand the point of this thread... besides the usual hating on eeeeebil Libruls.

Republicans by and large oppose gay marriage and always have.

Democrats by and large support gay marriage, but that hasn't always been the case.

I'm supposed to see these two positions as somehow equivalent??

Fact is that I personally used to oppose gay marriage. Then I 'evolved' on the issue. So ****in' what?
The issue is hypocrisy.

Let's elect Hillary President while demonizing people who held similar views to Hillary just a couple years ago.

I've been for gay marriage since the 1990s. I just don't like the demonization and double standard.

Old 04-04-2015, 12:35 PM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The majority of people who now support (or acquiesce) gay marriage went through the same evolution of beliefs. They came to accept an idea that at one time they opposed. In fact, the speed at which this transformation overtook America is absolutely unprecedented. Now Obama's remarks were likely lies for political cover. But Clinton was genuine. He just changed like most of the rest of us did.
The majority of people did not support same sex marriage before they ran for statewide office and then drop their support until polling for their last election campaign showed them comfortably ahead at which time they went back to their previous belief of being for state supported same sex marriage.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,774,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The issue is hypocrisy.

Let's elect Hillary President while demonizing people who held similar views to Hillary just a couple years ago.

I've been for gay marriage since the 1990s. I just don't like the demonization and double standard.
So am I a hypocrite because I changed my mind?

I used to be racist to. I mean REALLY racist- it's how I was raised. But I grew out of it. Does that make me a hypocrite?

Old 04-04-2015, 04:46 PM

32,033 posts, read 36,841,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
just curious.

I see LWNJ's here flinging the h-word around with abandon at anyone who doesn't raise their pom-poms in favor of gay marriage.

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” - April 17, 2008, while running for president, defining marriage at the Saddleback Presidential Forum.
I don't consider it hateful, just dumb. What business does the government have sticking its big snout into whether consenting adults can get married?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies