Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:10 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,947,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Then that would be really stupid and society would crumble, because your military, infrastructure, and critical support services would all disappear. If you want to go live in some third-world country, be my guest. Doubt they pay much in terms of taxes in Chad, but look at how things look there.
This may sound great as a platitude, but it isn't true whatsoever. The government would function just fine without income tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 06:15 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
I get money back every year except for state this year thanks to the idiotic Republicans who changed our state tax.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
In other words, what if enough Americans refused to report their income? The government would, legally, have to find a law they're violating by not filling out an income tax form (Hint: There is none), would have to obtain probable cause for each person, would have to then get a search warrant for each person and investigate them to show that they had income and didn't pay the amount that they owed. If you don't fill out a tax form, you cannot be charged with fraud, because you never reported anything incorrectly. What if we can start a big enough movement of people not paying their taxes?

No- I am pretty sure that I would go to jail and everyone else would get off scott free.

I will choose to obey the laws. If we do not like the laws or the system, work to change those laws; persistent violation of existing laws, or simply ignoring them, erodes confidence in the the rule of law. If there is no universal application, citizens become discouraged and lose faith in the system.

For that same reason, the lack of prosecution of Lois Lerner, Fast and Furious, Eric Holder contempt, the Benghazi scandal, White Water, Clinton Foundation, Clinton emails, Reznik, and the "stimulus" contracts awarded to Obama cronies erodes faith in our system and thus weakens the nation overall. This is why corruption should, and must, be persued and prosecuted.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
My former personal lawyer tried this tactic. He neglected to declare a substantial amount of his income to the IRS. He went to prison for 16 months.

that is because he probably had a tax court decide his case. he should have asked for a trial by jury and force the IRS to show the jury where it says in the tax code that Americans have to pay the income tax.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:03 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
In other words, what if enough Americans refused to report their income? The government would, legally, have to find a law they're violating by not filling out an income tax form (Hint: There is none), would have to obtain probable cause for each person, would have to then get a search warrant for each person and investigate them to show that they had income and didn't pay the amount that they owed. If you don't fill out a tax form, you cannot be charged with fraud, because you never reported anything incorrectly. What if we can start a big enough movement of people not paying their taxes?
Enjoy your time in prison Mr. Snipes.

Yet again, your grip on reality is covered in copious amounts of K-Y.....as there are laws people are charged with for not paying taxes whether you deny them or not.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:52 AM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,758 times
Who would it benefit? The rich that don't pay their fair share as it is already?

I'm a law abiding citizen of this country and will file my taxes as expected.

If there's so many people out there like that, why not move to another country and not worry about it?

Old 04-10-2015, 07:13 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
The IRS won't but this. There are people in jail for failure to file and report income.
If you don't fill out a tax form, you cannot be charged with fraud, because you never reported anything incorrectly.

ETA: I would file. I am in favor of taxes while i do not always agree with them or with everywhere the money goes.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:10 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Seems as if the OP and some posters here do not realize that it IS the LAW to file ones income tax if they fall into the category of People that must file, don't do it and the IRS WILL come after you. Now paying income taxes is not the LAW, but that is a different issue.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:27 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
The tax law is clear about who shall file, who shall pay and when filing is due.

Willful idiots like Wesley Snipes and others notwithstanding.

***** to your Congressman and Senators. They make tax law.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:47 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
If enough people refuse to file, the IRS system will allow it rather than attempt to
audit, convict, and imprison MILLIONS of non-filers. We're talking about individuals,
not corporations. What's ironic about it all is that those people who are willing to join
a movement of civil non-compliance such as this are mostly unimportant to the IRS
anyway, because they don't "owe" enough money.
I believe a movement such as this could be enough to remove the filing requirement
for all individuals and families who make under a certain amount of income.

Imagining a threshold of success, it wouldn't take anywhere near 50 million, that
is a silly high number of resistors. Certainly less than 10 million, perhaps even half
of that would be enough to break for a change to the current system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies