Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is more intolerant?
Liberals 117 54.17%
Christians 60 27.78%
They are both equally intolerant. 24 11.11%
Don't know/other/don't care 15 6.94%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:16 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times

Advertisements

I'm not reading all of this thread because I know it will turn into a black/Obama/bigot/racist-fest. Usually does.

I chose "other". I'm also a bit biased since I am a Christian, but I'll try to answer in a neutral manner, based on my experiences and observations.

Christians have their beliefs and values, and for the most part, just want to be left alone. Radicals want to stir the pot. A christian is not necessarily a radical, and vice versa.

Radical liberals want to punish everyone who doesn't agree with them. Activists are the radicals who pick the fights. Not all activists are radicals and not all radicals are activists.

I do believe there are liberals who are intolerant of others in the name of their version of tolerance. The radicals will seek out the fight. They'll make a ruckus. They'll belittle, berate, insult, attack, etc. This applies on both sides of the aisle.

How many people have committed crimes, or attacks, in the name of their belief? We have the ELF and the abortion clinic bombers (let's not count bodies here). They're both extremists and radicals. If we get past the radicals to the middle ground, I have to think the liberals are less tolerant, based on the events of this day. Let's be honest here. Liberals want freedom, but they want to force someone to act against their religious beliefs.

Discrimination is the cry of the day. But, how is forcing someone to do something under penalty of law, freedom? How is holding the idea of a lawsuit over one's head to steer their actions fair?

I'll admit that the religious side has done some pretty intolerant stuff, but I have to say the liberals of today are the less-tolerant of the bunch. I feel like the liberal version of tolerance, today, is I'll be tolerant of your beliefs so long as they don't conflict with mine.

Just my 2 cents looking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:41 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
Some of the most tolerant and kind people I've ever met have been Christian. But fun fact, they weren't all die hard Republicans. Some people do this radical thing where their political views are determined through an issue by issue basis and not on 'well, I'm registered as X so they must be right about everything!' It's amazing. You should all try if you aren't already.

And that's my point. Of those Christians, I'd split them into 3 categories: conservative, progressive/liberal, and indifferent about politics all together.

There are varying degrees of tolerance in Christianity. Some are tolerant, others are not. This forum reflects that quite nicely. There's a good mix of fundamentalists (I call them idiots) and just regular Christians.

Liberals are similar. Some liberals are more intolerant, but they're simply intolerant of political view that differ from their own. There are conservatives who are exactly the same. That's the nature of political views. The farther in one direct you go, the less open you are to other ideas.

In fact, that's how all things work.

So, here's a challenge, anyone can participate: name one person who was literal minded who was ALSO intelligent.

There aren't many. Why? Intelligent people are open minded. They are welcoming to opposition and look to a challenge to justify their views, and once bested, they admit their wrong and reassess their opinions. They certainly don't buy into party politics, which are obviously BS.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Us liberal Christians are the most tolerant
We're the new silent majority.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:53 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,949,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We're the new silent majority.
You're especially silent when your leaders do things like accuse Mitt Romney of not paying taxes.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They can be as intolerant of others views as anyone else.
I asked for examples. You've failed to provide. I guess it's a "because I said so" kind of sitch....

Libertarians are intolerant of anti-freedom ideologies. In that way, I suppose they're intolerant, and that's not a bad thing.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You're especially silent when your leaders do things like accuse Mitt Romney of not paying taxes.
There's no need to get all worked up by what the media reports as hot news, just wait awhile and the truth will eventually pan out.
That's why I usually remain silent.
Speaking only for myself.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Oh, I get it very well.
Based on what you've written here, I don't think you do.
Quote:
You say your not advocating Discrimination, but are more than willing to
allow it, because in your mind, its not the same thing. I get it.
.................................................. .................................................. ..............
Discrimination: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex

Freedom: the power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint
.................................................. .................................................. ..............

I am not advocating discrimination, I am advocating for ones freedom to discriminate if they choose to do so. There's a difference. It's called free will. Free thought. Personally, I find discrimination abhorrent, but we live in a supposedly free society, which means we have a right to hold our own opinions, even if they're hate filled or bigoted.
Quote:
The businesses don't own the Town either, so they don't have the right to
dictate who they will or who they won't serve.
They don't, but they should. They are a private business.
Quote:
They don't just come in and drive a stake in the ground and run a free
Market Business.
Again, they don't, but they should be able to. Businesses should be able to operate with as little regulation from the government as possible.
Quote:
They are "Granted" a "PERMIT" to operate under the restriction of agreeing to
operate under the rules set forth for that privilege. Get it?
Sure, I get it. More regulation, bigger government, less freedom.
Quote:
No one gives a crap what they think, or say, and they can hate anyone they want,
but they can't force their beliefs on others by punishing them specifically for
what they deem to be sins.
No one is "punishing" anyone. No one is "forcing" their beliefs on anyone. If you don't like the way a certain business operates, don't use that business. Simple. They are a private business. You don't have a legal "Right" to utilize the services of a private business, with private owners, on private property.
Quote:
I also think its Hypocritical for one to claim to be a good devout
Christian, and claim that's why they are doing this, and claim to be people of
God, yet they are assuming his role by punishing their idea of sinners?
That's their prerogative. Their business will either flourish or bottom out based on the way they choose to run it. That is how it should be.
Quote:
Isn't that the job of your God?
I have no God. I'm an Atheist.
Quote:
They preach that God will be the judge, yet they are doing it themselves
and using Religion as an excuse. That's pretty pathetic. SO much for the "Faith"
they claim to have.
If you'll notice, I've been just as critical of religious people on this thread as anyone. I think it takes a great deal of ignorance to believe the way most religious people do. But again, I support freedom, and that means the freedom to be ignorant too.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-08-2015 at 12:31 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
What a bizarre comment, I've never addressed this issue at all that I recall. In fact I don't have an opinion on it and I have no idea by what you mean by my "leaders". Are you perhaps confusing me with someone else?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Like refusing to serve Gay people as punishment for not letting them "Force" their beliefs on Gays? That kind if Interjection??
Private business and government are two different things, you get that right? It's one thing for a private business with private owners to set their own policies as they see fit, it's quite another to pass laws that favor a certain religion or that discriminate against certain people. The government is by all people, and for all people. Private businesses, not so.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
it depends. if it is a subject that goes against liberal thinking, then Christians are more tolerant. it if goes against what Christians believe is the truth, then liberals are more tolerant.

though overall, i would say that Christians are more tolerant, as for the most part, if they are losing an argument or an issue, they do not start calling a person racist, sexist, fascist, or a nazi in order to shut other people up like the liberals do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies