Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2015, 04:12 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times

Advertisements

Poor =/= On Welfare

No one is demonizing the poor. They're demonizing unproductive people who live off the sweat of the productive.

There's no shame in being poor, but being a mooch is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 04:18 PM

399 posts, read 406,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
You're not making sense.

If you own a restaurant, there must be food on hand and it is perishable.

Just because he needs to buy groceries doesn't mean that is because the others were used thus he made a profit
If I'm selling a rib dinner in my restaurant for $12 and I need $4 in groceries to make it, I'm making $4 less profit on every dinner than if Uncle Sam were gifting me those groceries.

The perishability of the groceries has nothing to do with anything. If I buy $4 worth of groceries for my rib special and no one comes in, I'm out $4 from my pocket. If, on the other hand, Uncle Sam gifted me the groceries, I can let them rot into dust and I'm not out anything at all.

What don't you understand? It's really not a complicated concept.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:20 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post
If he's on food stamps, his restaurant is not likely making much of a profit
He is only the front man, but who would eat that food in the first place.

One family member will own the restaurant while the rest of the family underwrite it with their food stamps and benefits while claiming no inocme. They do the same with our health care. One person has an income while the rest of the family claim to be in poverty while they live in exclusive neighborhoods.

It reminds me of the saying that there are 100 unseen rats for the one you do see.

Old 04-05-2015, 04:27 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,888,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
Poor =/= On Welfare

No one is demonizing the poor. They're demonizing unproductive people who live off the sweat of the productive.

There's no shame in being poor, but being a mooch is another story.
Yes. A truly poor wouldn't be wasting money like this.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:00 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazChasey View Post
If I'm selling a rib dinner in my restaurant for $12 and I need $4 in groceries to make it, I'm making $4 less profit on every dinner than if Uncle Sam were gifting me those groceries.

The perishability of the groceries has nothing to do with anything. If I buy $4 worth of groceries for my rib special and no one comes in, I'm out $4 from my pocket. If, on the other hand, Uncle Sam gifted me the groceries, I can let them rot into dust and I'm not out anything at all.

What don't you understand? It's really not a complicated concept.
I think the concept they can't understand is a thing called stupidity. Food stamp fraud is a stupid act. It benefits no one except the criminal committing the fraud.

Here is a concept, it's called obeying the law. For some it is a difficult concept until something of theirs is stolen, they are robbed or victimized and then they run to someone for help, as fast an their Florsheims can carry them.

You're right, no one is demonizing the poor, they manage to do that most often all by themselves.

Nothing wrong with being poor. There is something wrong with being content to be poor.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:16 PM

546 posts, read 408,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Did anyone ever explain how they are using their benefits on cruise ships?
My guess would be Mississippi River cruises, not ocean cruises. But that's just a guess.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:36 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,573,369 times
Quote:
Don't see a problem with setting certain rules I suppose.

Kansas Bans Poor People From Spending Welfare On Cruise Ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Don't see a problem with setting certain rules I suppose.

Kansas Bans Poor People From Spending Welfare On Cruise Ships
I don't see a problem with the new law , but someone please tell me are the cruise ships moored at the Port of Kansas City Kansas or Wichita Kansas?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:39 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
This is just like when the Government issued those several thousand dollar checks to low income people some years ago. Most of them went out and bought rims for their cars !

Priorities, ya know !

Don

Most of them bought rims for there cars? Really how do you know this? How many exactly bought rims?

Old 04-05-2015, 06:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I don't see a problem with the new law , but someone please tell me are the cruise ships moored at the Port of Kansas City Kansas or Wichita Kansas?
All states are putting cruise ships in their laws because that is the wording of the Fed bill mandating the change to TANF money.

Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It was, indeed self-evident. I was trying to pay you the courtesy of explaining your position before I wrote you off as a moron.
It wasn't my post you were responding to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies