Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,566,204 times

Advertisements

I do not intend to work for a private company that I do not own. Ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,081,018 times
Has anyone ever taken a day off work and gotten paid for it?

THANK the UNIONS!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

THANK the UNIONS!
Kind of brings up another way to view the discussion, were unions useful in their time, but outdated today? If they are no longer of value (assuming they were) what has made them outdated?

Old 01-16-2008, 01:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever taken a day off work and gotten paid for it? THANK the UNIONS!
I don't understand that comment.

When one of my staff requests a day off, if they have unused vacation time or sick leave, they will get paid for it.

I have, as an employer, no obligation to provide for either of these things (sick leave / vacation) - I do, but, it is not because of any union or unions.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,504,251 times
Quote:

THANK the UNIONS!
That's right. What if you came down with strep throat and the doctor told you not to come to work for 3 days. If you don't have sick leave at work, that means your next pay check will be 3 days short. I bet most unionized workplaces offer paid sick leave.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,145,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That's right. What if you came down with strep throat and the doctor told you not to come to work for 3 days. If you don't have sick leave at work, that means your next pay check will be 3 days short. I bet most unionized workplaces offer paid sick leave.
Please understand, many NON-unionized workplaces also offer paid sick leave - not at all uncommon

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,736,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I've never worked in a unionized workplace (TG!!!) and I've always had sick leave.

Perhaps unions at one time worked to make it the norm we have now, I don't know the history. My take is that unions share a good bit of blame for a lot of our automotive industry's lack of competitiveness. All the tariffs we imposed on auto imports to make prices comparable between domestically produced cars with high labor costs due to unions and cheap labor imports had the effect of shifting all of the union jobs from the north down to non-union south. In order to gain sizable price advantage, all the foreign automakers realized they could open assembly plants in SC, AL and the like and employ cheaper non-union labor and avoid the import tariffs!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,778,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't understand that comment.

When one of my staff requests a day off, if they have unused vacation time or sick leave, they will get paid for it.

I have, as an employer, no obligation to provide for either of these things (sick leave / vacation) - I do, but, it is not because of any union or unions.
thank you! good point, I think this again points out, that in large part thanks to the unions, people have some how come to the conclusion that an employer, business, corporation are responsible for taking care of them above and beyond paying them either hourly or salaried for the work that they are hired to do!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM

646 posts, read 1,784,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Absolutely... just as I wouldn't force you to be friends with your neighbor just because it makes the job of the police easier when you don't dislike your neighbors.

If I start up a business with my money, no one should have any say in how I spend *my* money. If I wish to hire all exotic women to give me back massages all day long, and they agree to do so for $3 an hour... then it's no one's business but ours.

Now if I am ignorant enough to think that I can run a successful business by limiting my hiring to a certain gender, race, religion, etc... then I will hurt my business in a few ways. First, by limiting the pool in which I select employees, I limit the pool of potentially qualified candidates... potentially qualified above and beyond my limited pool. Second, by not hiring a diverse group of individuals, I limit myself to people who tend to think alike... and in solving business problems, you need people from diverse backgrounds to attack a problem from multiple angles. Lastly, by limiting my employees to a certain group, I run the risk of limiting my clients as they may choose not to do business with someone who obviously is narrow minded.

The same applies to pay and benefits. If I choose not to be competitive in the marketplace, I will limit my pool of job applicants as well as directly affecting customer satisfaction and efficiency, which impact the bottom line.

Employment should be performed under a contract, which should be agreed to by both parties. The court system should be used if there is a breach of contract by either party... but the government shouldn't be involved in telling me how I should spend my time or money.
These are great arguments for the benefits of diversity, and I'm not disagreeing with them at all. Where I do disagree though, is that a business doesn't have the rights to run however it sees fit. One problem is that not everybody realize that they actually benefit from a diverse candidate pool, but let their biases and other factors affect their decisions which would constitute discrimination under the law, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act to be more precise.

So you think people should have the protection of contracts at work, or should they be simply at-will without any kinds of protection since that would fit the argument that nobody should interfere with how a business is run.

We have public policies and laws that do govern what businesses can do that supersede the individual rights of the owners because as a society we believe that to be more important.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:31 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,770,640 times
Action and reaction, if companies and corporations provided fair wages and benefits with a safe work environment unions wouldn’t exist. I’ve seen several companies that provide reasonable worker programs and wages without unions or organized labor and they (both company and employee) are doing well; all the more power to them. I’ve also seen companies take advantage of employees with low wages no benefits and thus there is a need to have organized labor help workers obtain a fair wage and benefit package.

Some smaller companies provide just that “fair wages and benefits” in an effort to keep organized labor out of their company. I have no problem with that and it appears that it benefits both company and workers by not having organized labor get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies