Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 05:13 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,014,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have long had this question, just never vocalized it. If you're from Africa, why on earth would you choose Minnesota? That makes no sense at all.
It wasn't their choice. They were refugees of the Somali civil war of the late 80's and early 90's. They were granted refugee status by the UN and subsequently deported from Africa to communities around the globe. The U.S. then chose to take a significant number of the refugees allocated to them and put them in Minnesota and Kansas.

Why the U.S. would choose Minnesota? I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 05:43 PM

148 posts, read 148,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Riiiiight. You want collective guilt ("white privilege" - all whites owe minorities, all whites are this and that) pushed but oh no no, you don't want collective pride.
Uh, no, I don't want collective anything. Like I said, multiple times, it depends on the individual and their societal contribution. That's the point.

What are you, some kinda communist?

Old 04-12-2015, 05:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,378,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot View Post
Uh, no, I don't want collective anything. Like I said, multiple times, it depends on the individual and their societal contribution. That's the point.

What are you, some kinda communist?
We know exactly what you mean.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
It wasn't their choice. They were refugees of the Somali civil war of the late 80's and early 90's. They were granted refugee status by the UN and subsequently deported from Africa to communities around the globe. The U.S. then chose to take a significant number of the refugees allocated to them and put them in Minnesota and Kansas.

Why the U.S. would choose Minnesota? I don't know.
The answer to that is the title of this thread.

Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM

148 posts, read 148,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
We know exactly what you mean.
Wow, you finally figured out that I mean that people are people and it's ridiculously simplistic to judge by race? And that I shouldn't take credit for my Norweigan great-great-grandparents' actions because I have nothing to point out and say "That right there is how I made Minnesota a better place"? Glad it took you 13 pages to figure that out.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot View Post
Wow, you finally figured out that I mean that people are people and it's ridiculously simplistic to judge by race? And that I shouldn't take credit for my Norweigan great-great-grandparents' actions because I have nothing to point out and say "That right there is how I made Minnesota a better place"? Glad it took you 13 pages to figure that out.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:34 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Wow, I read 4 pages here and it is totally filled with lots of crazy racist meanderings....

Lots of racism on this forum today. Sad...

In regards to Somali refugees, not all of them have these issues nor are they seeking to be jihadist but I would also bet that those who do seek to be jihadist do so primarily based on the attitudes shown within this thread.

I grew up in the 80s and we had a large amount of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugess, many who also were on public assistance as most refugees are when they come here but we didn't look down upon them like what is being shown in this thread. And FWIW, I work in the housing field and have worked in public housing locations where there were a large amount of Somalis. All of them are not horrible jihadist people and many are doing the best they can and don't deserve to be lumped with the few that engage is negative activities.

And someone even mentioned "muslims" in MI doing "the same thing." I grew up in NW Ohio and lived for a time in SE MI and most of the Muslims I knew and still know have been in this country for 2-3 generations and the majority of them are solidly middle class, peaceful, nice people.

ETA: during the 1990s I remember a lot of Iraqis and Iranians moving to our area and they were also very nice, respectful people.

Something is wrong with all of you who are going on crazy tirades about immigrants like you aren't recent European immigrants who were extremely stereotyped and treated poorly until you were 3rd and 4th generation American. Give the Somalis a chance, like all other immigrants and they will fit in soon enough. Due to my work, I have seen that abuse of the welfare system is not something that is unique to a specific "race" or ethnicity. Just like there are abusers who are Somali, there are Hmong abusers and Bosian abusers and Russian abusers and Honduran abusers, etc.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wow, I read 4 pages here and it is totally filled with lots of crazy racist meanderings....

Lots of racism on this forum today. Sad...

In regards to Somali refugees, not all of them have these issues nor are they seeking to be jihadist but I would also bet that those who do seek to be jihadist do so primarily based on the attitudes shown within this thread.

I grew up in the 80s and we had a large amount of Vietnamese and Cambodian refugess, many who also were on public assistance as most refugees are when they come here but we didn't look down upon them like what is being shown in this thread. And FWIW, I work in the housing field and have worked in public housing locations where there were a large amount of Somalis. All of them are not horrible jihadist people and many are doing the best they can and don't deserve to be lumped with the few that engage is negative activities.

And someone even mentioned "muslims" in MI doing "the same thing." I grew up in NW Ohio and lived for a time in SE MI and most of the Muslims I knew and still know have been in this family for 2-3 generations and the majority of them are solidly middle class, peaceful, nice people.
"Wow, I read 4 pages here and it is totally filled with lots of crazy racist meanderings....

Lots of racism on this forum today. Sad..."

Really. If you can pull up one example where someone brought the issue of race against Somalis that might be the case. If these were white Chechens the feeling would be the same: "Screwed up religous fundamentalist" moving to a place that many will not adapt to. Of course, you wouldn't say anything if they were Chechens. If these were Christian Somalis this thread would not exist so it's obviously not about race.

Unfortunately when you bring in Fundamentalist Muslims from a war torn country a good amount are going to be like the Tsarnaev brothers and their family, and their supporters. You basically have 10s of thousands of people with untreated PTSD syndrome.

The issue is not about the Somalis who wish to join and contribute to our society, it's about getting rid of the ones who won't.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:25 AM

15,755 posts, read 7,562,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Wow, I read 4 pages here and it is totally filled with lots of crazy racist meanderings....

Lots of racism on this forum today. Sad..."

Really. If you can pull up one example where someone brought the issue of race against Somalis that might be the case. If these were white Chechens the feeling would be the same: "Screwed up religous fundamentalist" moving to a place that many will not adapt to. Of course, you wouldn't say anything if they were Chechens. If these were Christian Somalis this thread would not exist so it's obviously not about race.

Unfortunately when you bring in Fundamentalist Muslims from a war torn country a good amount are going to be like the Tsarnaev brothers and their family, and their supporters. You basically have 10s of thousands of people with untreated PTSD syndrome.

The issue is not about the Somalis who wish to join and contribute to our society, it's about getting rid of the ones who won't.
And that is an issue that is to be solved within the communities and our laws.

EDIT: http://www.startribune.com/politics/...224729142.html

Old 04-13-2015, 11:26 AM

4,794 posts, read 12,348,865 times
How did importing these people into our country make Minneapolis a better place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies