Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 01:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
So was Clyde Drexler.
Drexler was a bonafide superstar at Houston. That's not the same thing. Everyone knew he was gonna be great at the next level.

The Harrisons are pretty damn good players, but they aren't Clyde Drexler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
That player is just low class ghetto, like most basketball players these days (college and pro). They really have to stop scooping them up from the hood, and if they do, give em a crash course in etiquette. If I used the word N word on this forum, how fast would I get banned?

Kentucky U should take immediate disciplinary action
Andrew Harrison isn't from the hood or any ghetto. He's from a very well off family in Richmond, Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
If he had been white; he would be gone. In this case even the media are making excuses.
Nonsense. It would be the equivalent of a white player calling a black player a cracker. Most people would just laugh their asses off and be done with it.

Old 04-06-2015, 05:04 AM

267 posts, read 311,198 times
I do not condone the usage of this word to anyone. I don't use it, or any of my friends (which include white, black, and others). I do not see why people need to use the word in the first place. The media portrays that mostly all of the blacks use it, but I don't. Why can't people just use man, bro, bruh, brutha, or guy instead of it?

Why would I want to call myself something that racists would call me? Yeah it doesn't have the same meaning, but out of respect for people who fought to not have that word said, I wonder what they would think, looking down on us using that word. "I worked my butt off for this word to not be said to my people. And now my people use it as an everyday term." I think the word is degrading, once any person uses this word, they just look unworthy. You can't tell some white people not to call you that, when you call yourself that...Know what I mean? But hey, that's just me.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus64 View Post
I do not condone the usage of this word to anyone. I don't use it, or any of my friends (which include white, black, and others). I do not see why people need to use the word in the first place. The media portrays that mostly all of the blacks use it, but I don't. Why can't people just use man, bro, bruh, brutha, or guy instead of it?

Why would I want to call myself something that racists would call me? Yeah it doesn't have the same meaning, but out of respect for people who fought to not have that word said, I wonder what they would think, looking down on us using that word. "I worked my butt off for this word to not be said to my people. And now my people use it as an everyday term." I think the word is degrading, once any person uses this word, they just look unworthy. You can't tell some white people not to call you that, when you call yourself that...Know what I mean? But hey, that's just me.
The word will go its own way in an organic fashion. It can't and won't be just willed away because certain people don't like its usage. It'll be around as long as people like using it. Eventually, it may go out of usage completely or simply have an attenuated usage back to how it was used when I was a kid....When you were a little surprised and amused when you heard it. It was very much an adult word back then. Kids NEVER said it...not even to each other.

There are hundreds of English words that rarely if ever get used. That's language for you. It's fluid....words come in and out of the lexicon.

As to who can and white can't say it....That's another topic.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,506,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I'm as white as ghost. Black people have called me "*****" before. It's not uncommon in the hood.
I admit. I don't know what it means when Harrison or another black guy, in or out of the hood, says, 'F that nword,' about a white guy.

I assume Harrison meant it as an insult. If he said, 'Kaminsky plays like one of us nwords.' is it a compliment ? Does it matter if the word ends with an 'a' vs an 'er.'

Though a press conference isn't a dumb place to use the word, I'll bet Kaminsky's heard it plenty of times and his reaction to hearing the story was more like 'he's mad we beat them' than 'OMG, he called me the n word.'

Old 04-06-2015, 10:08 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Andrew Harrison isn't from the hood or any ghetto. He's from a very well off family in Richmond, Texas.
Correct on his family status.

Being ghetto is more a mindset and mentality.

You can be poor and carry yourself without the ghetto mindset. You can be rich and be totally ghetto.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

You can be poor and carry yourself without the ghetto mindset. You can be rich and be totally ghetto.
Fair enough. But the kid isn't ghetto. He's a kid. Nothing more or less.

He used a dumb expletive around a hot Mic and got caught.

I use the word too...and I'm far from ghetto. You just have to be more sagacious if you're gonna say it. Definitely not in that setting.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I admit. I don't know what it means when Harrison or another black guy, in or out of the hood, says, 'F that nword,' about a white guy.

I assume Harrison meant it as an insult. If he said, 'Kaminsky plays like one of us nwords.' is it a compliment ? Does it matter if the word ends with an 'a' vs an 'er.'

Though a press conference isn't a dumb place to use the word, I'll bet Kaminsky's heard it plenty of times and his reaction to hearing the story was more like 'he's mad we beat them' than 'OMG, he called me the n word.'
His use of the word in reference to a white guy makes it abundantly clear that he didn't mean ANYTHING racial. He's of the generation that doesn't specify race when using the word. They could be talking about someone from China and they'll use it. I've seen it plenty of times.

Keep in mind that Harrison didn't know his Mic was hot...he wouldn't have said it if he'd known that.

This is the equivalent of Kaminsky calling Harrison a cracker. That's ridiculous, but hardly anything to get angry about. People would laugh at the absurdity of it, Harrison would laugh his ass off, and we'd be done with it.

This isn't the Big deal that folks are making out to be.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Well said.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...055802601.html

I am sure this won't go over well. However, it was a black player saying "**** that ******" about a white player. Will it hurt his draft stock? Will he be forced to undergo counseling? Will the school suspend him?
proves the banned word that starts with an N has universal application.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-06-2015 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 04-06-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
If the white player would have Said the N word to the Black player it would be a nacional front page news and the liberals calling for the head of the Coach for not suspendíng the player or kicking him out the team......a boycott of the school.

Black player does it , its all cool.....its a Black culture thing......lol
Of course Kaminsky can't call Harrison the same word. That would be ridiculous.

The equivalent of what Harrison did is Kaminsky calling Harrison a derogatory term for white folks.

When thought of in that context, its easy to see how ridiculous this controversy is.

Slap the kid on the head and be done with it.
[MOD CUT/off topic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
We are caught between two worlds. In my generation the word was universally offensive, applied to blacks only, and only used by truly ignorant people. Now it is a word often used to describe pretty much anyone and often not meant to be offensive. I can't see punishing anyone for calling a white man by the n-word.
Finally...someone on this thread gets it.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-06-2015 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies