Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 11:17 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times

Advertisements

I think the big question is: what genius thought that letting African Americans with a 3.1 into a top med school is a good idea? That sounds like setting them up for failure, they will always be the dumb ones on campus, a cruel joke, adding insult to injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
EVERY med school is exclusionary. Every single one.

He can't say that that he himself was discriminated against - but there is a history of discrimination against Asians when it comes to med school acceptance. That is a fact.
absolutely. Fair and balanced post.

when you look at the history of The Project for Fair Representation. You can clearly see that white complain about it too.

Fisher v. Texas, an affirmative action case that was brought before the Supreme Court in 2012. In that case, Abigail Fisher, a white woman, claimed she was denied admission to the school, while lesser-qualified blacks and Latinos got in because of affirmative action. (The Supreme Court sent the case back to a lower court for further review, and it's still making its way through the appeals process.)

Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
I do have a problem with different standards based on race for medical school.

If it was law school, humanities program, even business, I wouldn't care that much.

But Med school? Only the best and most qualified, please.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
If race isn't a factor, why is it more likely that a Hispanic or an African American with a GPA of 3.1 + a MCAT of 31 has statistically a much better shot of getting into medical school than an Asian with the exact same score?
You misread the post.

They said it's not the factor it once was. Meaning it's decreased in significance, not gone entirely away.

Getting into top schools has social, economic, geographic and racial considerations (and a few others).

However, if you are a really good basketball player it trumps ALL of those.

IMO that's the real hillarious part...and a grave indictment of our current "idiocracy" as a nation.

Any country where guys that read at a 3rd grade level are flown in to colleges, given the grand tour, in some cases sex from program "boosters"....given full ride scholarships....lucrative jobs for their parents and bags of cash from boosters. That's hillarious right there.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Affirmative Action is an insult to all Proud Black Americans. It tells all Black Americans, you cannot make it in life, without the whiteman giving you something. You can't build that, forget you didn't build that.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:26 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I think the big question is: what genius thought that letting African Americans with a 3.1 into a top med school is a good idea? That sounds like setting them up for failure, they will always be the dumb ones on campus, a cruel joke, adding insult to injury.

I would not want my brain surgeon to score a 70 on the exams.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
EVERY med school is exclusionary. Every single one.

He can't say that that he himself was discriminated against - but there is a history of discrimination against Asians when it comes to med school acceptance. That is a fact.
Not talking about other Asians. I'm talking about him. He wasn't discriminated against.

He got in and flunked. Point blank.

And.yes, all medical schools are exclusive, but not equally exclusive.

This is a private school, and they have a right to run their admissions department any way they choose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Affirmative Action is an insult to all Proud Black Americans. It tells all Black Americans, you cannot make it in life, without the whiteman giving you something. You can't build that, forget you didn't build that.
We're all what we are because someone gave you a break or sacrificed for you.

Who would I be if Fredrick Douglass or MLK didn't "give" me something? Who would I be if my father hadn't "given" me something?

What's important is that I do something with what I've been given. I don't care what race the person is that gives it to me.

I've been given plenty of opportunities. They may have even been given to me because of my race. Who knows

If so, I don't feel insulted at all. Not one bit. Never have. Never will.

And I'm a "Proud African American."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would not want my brain surgeon to score a 70 on the exams.
Seriously? Think about it.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:05 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I agree with you completely. I don't think this guy is a hero.
Who the hell said this guy is a hero!!?? He's a jackass.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
This happened 17 years ago and the AA programs if they exist today are not like they were in 1998. The movie Soulman was from 1986 in which a white student pretended to be black to get into Harvard. The programs have been changed since then. Now its possible that a low income white student has a good chance of being admitted under a diversity program. Does anyone have a problem with that? Race is not the factor it once was in admissions.
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You don't think race plays a part in admissions!!???
Today!??
For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

You don't think race plays a part in admissions!!???
Today!??
For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

"Not the factor it once was" means that it's importance has diminished, not that it plays no part in the decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies