Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:34 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,362,934 times

Advertisements

Dams
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 05:36 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,856,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I agree, for the most part.

Government exists for the purpose of leveling the free market playing field. Without regulation, the producers will always have the advantage over the consumers. The ideologues will whine and moan and complain, but they are wrong. Without regulation, the sellers, the producers, the employers, will take advantage of the consumers, the buyers, the employees. There should be balance aka a level playing field.
Government exists to control the playing field not level it. They get to hand pick the winners and losers.
The producers and employers take advantage? Says who? A quality peoduct for a fair price is the trade off between consumer and producer. If the price is too high or the quality too low the consumer will go elsewhere. That's basic business

Old 04-05-2015, 06:29 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Dams
Bad for the fingerlings.

Don't matter anyway, with GMO we got salmon the size of sharks, now.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
The government has done that for decades; federal; state and local. That was the real down fall in Greece that got way out of hand .I am not sure what you do as so many lack any 21st century skills.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:31 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
At no point did I say that there should be zero regulation, I said that there should be less regulation. Our business environment is filled with bureaucratic red tape, and as someone who used to run a small business I can tell you that a lot of it is wasted paper. What we currently have is an environment which makes it fairly difficult to start a small business, and extremely difficult to go from a small business to a big (aka job creating) business.
I agree with this, and said so in my post. My point is that it is only half of the picture. LESS regulation would be good for honest businesses to thrive. The evidence is absolutely clear. But at the same time, MORE regulation is clearly needed for some, which is evident by the examples I gave.

My point is that this subject, like most subjects, is not driven by a single variable. It is more complicated, and can't be answered with a simpleton soundbite.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
I've seen government created jobs up close and personal in NYC a few decades ago. The jobs created were a total waste of tax payer dollars.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:41 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I've seen government created jobs up close and personal in NYC a few decades ago. The jobs created were a total waste of tax payer dollars.
What jobs were those?

Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The government should not be in the business of creating jobs, ever. The only thing which the government should be responsible for is creating an environment where job creation is not only possible but easily achievable. This means less taxation, less regulation, and less demonizing of the "rich". Unfortunately, we aren't likely to see such an environment again in the near future, as the hatred of successful business owners seems to have become an ingrained attitude among the majority of the voting public.
Yep, I agree. For those who don't agree, think of it this way.

Take a ride through government housing, it isn't pretty. Government does a POOR job at housing the poor. The government doesn't want to be a landlord so what does it do. It encourages people to invest in rental property through tax deductions, lowering taxes for real estate investors. In other words creating an environment where people want to invest. The same can be true for business and job creation. The Obama administration is anti-business and pro big government. In other words, they are discouraging investment, steering us toward government run projects.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, I agree. For those who don't agree, think of it this way.

Take a ride through government housing, it isn't pretty. Government does a POOR job at housing the poor. The government doesn't want to be a landlord so what does it do. It encourages people to invest in rental property through tax deductions, lowering taxes for real estate investors. In other words creating an environment where people want to invest. The same can be true for business and job creation. The Obama administration is anti-business and pro big government. In other words, they are discouraging investment, steering us toward government run projects.
Since the NYSE is at record levels, it appears no one has been discouraged from investing.

Old 04-05-2015, 07:51 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,297,704 times
To answer the earlier question:

The Eisenhower Interestate System was completed by Gov't created jobs, and absolutely has benefited our economy many times over. Same can be said for 'some' of the new deal jobs. Many of the New Deal programs were critical to our national security (example: Blue Ridge Parkway). They created jobs, left us with some benefits, and filled a need. Another, although it also has many problems too (again, the multi-variable thing) is the TVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies