Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I was adopted, not aborted. Care to explore options?
Would you have known if you were aborted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
I'm impressed. (you read my link) I really didn't think you'd look anything up.

I did get educated. Still supportive of teen moms. The lack of support today's society has for these young folks, who for whatever reason, are having babies, makes a person suspicious as to their (societies) reasons.

Is it money?

Childbearing by Teens: Links to Welfare Reform
{my bold}

The first thing a parent has to realize, when raising a child is, they are not in control. The schools are not in control. Society is not in control. The person that is in control, is the individual themselves. It's life and there are no right or wrongs in life, but choices we make for ourselves in how we wish to live that life and how we handle our choices.

Society using social pressures to bend (people) a person to their will, only makes a person stronger and more determined, to be independent, of the 'norm flavor' of the generation.

The 17 year old teen mother, who received her GED, and went on to get her Bachlors, is my daughter. She's married now and has 2 more children.

I raised her to be an, "independent" thinker. And while I would like to believe she's a unique and special person (she is to me no doubt) I know if I use the same logical reasoning that the political arena uses in calculating (where there is one who thinks a 'certain way and will cast one vote, 1000 more will do the same), there are a thousand more, just like her in society today.

Social change, is all in the numbers and the amount of people willing to make that change.

EDIT: btw, I don't care how the babies are being born, as long as they get born, so they to can, begin to explore life.

And this is the problem....you don't care about the children who are born and left behind. But as long as they are born then everything is good in your eyes Try the real world with these kids. I have volunteered in orphanages. If they are lucky, they will find a foster home but there are many who go from home to home. And then there are many who never find a foster home and grow up in the system. Yeah, that's a great way to explore life. Until all these hundred of thousands kids in the system are adopted we have no business bringing more kids into the world for your feel good attitude.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Would you have known if you were aborted?
If you were shot and killed, would you know what the next day's headlines would be?

You do know that the word 'fetus' is a scientific term, for unborn baby. A baby that is living in a really nice environment that nature provided. The baby has a heart and a brain. What does it take to feel pain?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

And this is the problem....you don't care about the children who are born and left behind. But as long as they are born then everything is good in your eyes Try the real world with these kids. I have volunteered in orphanages. If they are lucky, they will find a foster home but there are many who go from home to home. And then there are many who never find a foster home and grow up in the system. Yeah, that's a great way to explore life. Until all these hundred of thousands kids in the system are adopted we have no business bringing more kids into the world for your feel good attitude.
Turn a page. These children grow to be adults, have jobs, careers, families and babies of their own. The have a life!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Turn a page. These children grow to be adults, have jobs, careers, families and babies of their own. The have a life!
Many of them don't which you fail to acknowledge. How do children grow into productive adults without love and nurturing. Who guides them and teaches them.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:52 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Some of them are going very mess up in life.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:06 PM

If I had been aborted I would not be around today to post this:

Abstinence-Only Education Debate Resurfaces - US News
Quote:
Two of the largest federal programs funding abstinence education, the Community-Based Abstinence Education grant program and the Adolescent Family Life Act, were abolished in 2010 under President Obama. Between 1996 and 2009, more than $1.5 billion in taxpayer dollars were spent funding abstinence education.

The changes were short lived, as House Republicans put abstinence education legislation into Obama's healthcare reform law, the Affordable Care Act, which will grant up to $50 million per year to abstinence-only education programs. The $5 million in the appropriations bill is in addition to the Affordable Care Act funds.

Many reports have found that abstinence education programs don't measurably impact teens. A 2007 Congressionally-mandated report found that, on average, students who participated in abstinence-only education had sex at the same age as students who had comprehensive sex education. They also had similar rates of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections, and used birth control at similar rates as students who had comprehensive sex education.

Last year, evidence that abstinence-only programs might impact teens—especially young teens—came to light in a University of Pennsylvania study. About a third of sixth and seventh graders who enrolled in abstinence-only programs became sexually active within two years of taking the class; meanwhile, about half of their peers who took comprehensive sex education classes became sexually active within two years. At the time, lead researcher John Jemmott told the Washington Post that abstinence-only education has been "written off," but that it "could be one approach that could be used" to prevent unplanned pregnancies.
What scares folks about this really?

Study: Abstinence-Only Sex Ed Up - ABC News

Quote:
Some Favor Abstinence

But Heather Cirmo, spokeswoman for the Family Research Council, a public policy organization in Washington D.C., believes if children are taught chastity is the norm and the standard they are expected to live up to, they will do so. “Why do we communicate a no excuses message about drugs and alcohol but when it comes to sex we have a different stance?”
I'm thinking this is what scares people:

Abstinence-Only-Until-Marriage Programs: Ineffective, Unethical, and Poor Public Health

Quote:
Federally funded abstinence-only programs must adhere to a stringent eight-point definition of education. Funded programs must have the “exclusive purpose of teaching the social, psychological, and health gains to be realized by abstaining from sexual activity.” They must teach, among other things, that “sexual activity outside of marriage may have harmful psychological and physical effects” and that “a mutually faithful monogamous relationship in the context of marriage is the expected standard for all school-age children.”[3] This eight-point definition isn’t based in evidence-based, public health and social science research. Rather, it reflects and promotes a socially conservative “values” agenda put forward by ultraconservative members of Congress.
{my bold}

The republicans took the (horrible) ACA and turned it into something useful. lol That cracked me up.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommie789 View Post
Some of them are going very mess up in life.
There are silver spoon fed babies, that lead very interesting lives that messed up may not even cover it. Give me a break.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Many of them don't which you fail to acknowledge. How do children grow into productive adults without love and nurturing. Who guides them and teaches them.
Life experience is the best teacher any of us have.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Life experience is the best teacher any of us have.
Wow, tell that to these kids who didn't have a mom or dad. I assume you did. So you are not an authority on these kids unless you grew up in an orphanage or foster care. Did you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies