Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2008, 10:24 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Valid points. But, remember, we are in the 21st century - not the 19th century.
I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, but it sort of irks me when people say this. It has nothing to do with it being the 21st century or the 19th century, since there are people in the 21st century who survive without automobiles, electricity, or running water.

It has to do with comfort and expectations - not survival or need.

Quote:
People "NEED" things like medical care. They "NEED" education for their children. They "NEED" to take products to market (to make a living). And so on.
None of these things are needed for survival.

Quote:
All of this REQUIRES the ability to "MOVE" - and, without transportation in the 21st century, it is unlikely that most would survive
All of those things can be accomplished without 19th century transportation, much less 21st.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I'm just of the opinion that modern humanity has become as dependant to modern technology that they’ve become addicted to the luxury modern technology often brings.
And, lets acknowledge reality - modern humanity is NOT GOING TO GIVE UP on the technology and conveniences’ we have. Humanity is not going to regress to that of the 18th or 19th century.

When I want to see my grandchildren, I will get in my car and drive to them or, better still, get in my aircraft, and fly. I will not walk or take a horse. Sorry.

If you think, or suggest we should, then, I have to honestly say, you are truly living in the past.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Sorry - this is the 21st century

And walking a 2000 lb load of goods does not work.
Why do we need to haul 2000lb of goods to survive?

These assumptions you're making seem bizarre to me.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Why do we need to haul 2000lb of goods to survive?
In this century, people need to earn - it is called commerce.

We are not going to regress to the 18th century - sorry

Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
If you think, or suggest we should, then, I have to honestly say, you are truly living in the past.
It is just a reality that mankind can survive without a car, which obviously is something you can't (or simply refuse to) comprehend.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
In this century, people need to earn - it is called commerce.
No, they don't. They need food, air, and fresh water. None of those things require commerce.

Quote:
We are not going to regress to the 18th century - sorry
Why are you sorry? I'm not advocating a return to the 18th century. I'm simply disputing your claims that we need the modern conveniences of life to survive.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Why are you sorry? I'm not advocating a return to the 18th century.
Your posts seem to indicate otherwise. If I misinterperted them, I apologize

Old 01-17-2008, 10:35 AM

20,170 posts, read 24,262,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayIt is just a reality that mankind can survive without a car, which obviously is something you can't (or simply refuse to) comprehend.
In the Netherlands, you can skate on the canals from one tiny village to another. In the summer, you can use a paddle-boat or be pulled by swans.

In America, we have counties in many states which are larger than the Netherlands, and mighty mountains and rivers to cross.

There is virtue in both life-styles, but the perspectives of each are not necessairly relevant to the other.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
Originally Posted by Yeledaf
Quote:
In the Netherlands, you can skate on the canals from one tiny village to another.
No we can't we haven't had a decent winter in the last decade.
Besides isn't distance relative?

I am talking about the human race and not just modern humans or modern society.
Humanity needs 2 lungs (or 1 functioning) lung to survive. It does not need a car (or modern technology) to survive. I am not saying that we should abandon technology altogether, I am just saying that it is not essential.
Those who can (and do) adapt to their surroundings will survive and modern humanity never adapted to his surroundings; modern humanity made sure that his surroundings adapted to him through modern technology.
Unlike primitive civilisations, modern society has no regards for his natural surrounding, he just assimilates according to his needs and as long we have fuel to fuel our technology it will be no problem, but once we run out it is back to the Stone Age.
Whether we want it or not.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I am talking about the human race and not just modern humans or modern society.
Humanity needs 2 lungs (or 1 functioning) lung to survive. It does not need a car (or modern technology) to survive. I am not saying that we should abandon technology altogether, I am just saying that it is not essential.
Those who can (and do) adapt to their surroundings will survive and modern humanity never adapted to his surroundings; modern humanity made sure that his surroundings adapted to him through modern technology.
Unlike primitive civilisations, modern society has no regards for his natural surrounding, he just assimilates according to his needs and as long we have fuel to fuel our technology it will be no problem, but once we run out it is back to the Stone Age.
Oh please.

You are suggesting regression - it ain't happenin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.