Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What does that have to do with Universal Health Care?

I don't just believe it, I know it. Republicans arguing against Universal Health Care are one of the two:

1) Misinformed because they have been fed lies by hatriot radio and right-wing news outlets
2) Psychopaths that just really think poor people should just go away and die

Because contrary to your delusions, we can't just print money indefinitely.

Liberals in America always make reference to those great utopias like Canada, the UK, Germany et al and their great social benefits. What they don't want is the regressive tax structure needed to fund those programs.

You can go back a few thousand posts and see my position. Kill the ACA. Pass a basic universal national health program funded by a payroll tax no different than FICA. Everyone pays. Everyone. Slowly phase in the program so that basic and routine care is a given. Like Germany, the secondary insurance market can stop-gap on the other end.

End the nonsense ER visits. Force non-citizens to pay for their care.

The ACA is just welfare. Almost all the participants are on expanded Medicare getting huge subsidies at the expense of the middle class. I'm well off and if I have to pay a little more, it isn't going to kill me, but you need to pay your fair share also. Got it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 09:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Because contrary to your delusions, we can't just print money indefinitely.
Actually, we can.

Quote:
Liberals in America always make reference to those great utopias like Canada, the UK, Germany et al and their great social benefits. What they don't want is the regressive tax structure needed to fund those programs.
But here you are not being specific. Canada and the UK are monetarily sovereign; they don't need any tax dollars to fund their social benefits. Germany is not monetarily sovereign, it uses the Euro. The United States is monetarily sovereign, yet Germany is not. How is a country that actually is bound by the limits of taxation willing to offer national health benefits for its citizens but we don't? It's time we changed our priorities.

Quote:
You can go back a few thousand posts and see my position. Kill the ACA. Pass a basic universal national health program funded by a payroll tax no different than FICA. Everyone pays. Everyone. Slowly phase in the program so that basic and routine care is a given. Like Germany, the secondary insurance market can stop-gap on the other end.
FICA is the most regressive tax in the tax code. FICA is completely unnecessary. We could eliminate FICA tomorrow and it wouldn't have any affect on SS. Why would you advocate this?

You have been duped by the 1%.

Quote:
End the nonsense ER visits. Force non-citizens to pay for their care.
There's no reason for this to be done. Only the immoral would suggest non-citizens to pay up or die. What do we know about Federal Spending?

The Federal government does not require any "payment" or "taxes" to fund services.

Quote:
The ACA is just welfare. Almost all the participants are on expanded Medicare getting huge subsidies at the expense of the middle class. I'm well off and if I have to pay a little more, it isn't going to kill me, but you need to pay your fair share also. Got it?
Yes, but it isn't the kind of welfare you want. ACA is a mixture of welfare and corporate welfare. We want it to just be welfare. Welfare is the government's job. The government is supposed to issue services for its citizens.

One again, you are still operating under the naive assumption that my benefits come out of your paycheck. That simply isn't true. It's amusing to see it as a catalyst for insatiable greed.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:42 PM

Why have you called for higher taxes in the rich? Why even use the term 1%'ers? According to you it doesn't matter who makes what or pays what because we can just print and spend. Why did the liberals, who had the House, Senate and the WH pass the ACA when they could have just made everyone a billionaire with the click of a mouse?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
There is no easy way to tell hard working poor and middle class Americans that they have to pay for other people's health care when they cannot even afford to pay for their own.

I'll go back to a moral country where the government does not steal from hard working poor people to help lazy people who refuse to take care of themselves.

A guy can dream, right?

Back in 1988, Michigan voters passed an initiative to end Medicaid funding of elective abortions. I asked opponents why I should pay for elective procedures when I couldn't afford basic necessary care. They had no answer.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
Why have you called for higher taxes in the rich? Why even use the term 1%'ers? According to you it doesn't matter who makes what or pays what because we can just print and spend. Why did the liberals, who had the House, Senate and the WH pass the ACA when they could have just made everyone a billionaire with the click of a mouse?
What did we say is the purpose of taxation?

(that should answer your question on why higher taxes on the rich)

Old 04-06-2015, 09:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I am sure that the millions on Obama Care will be happy with the GOP option, glad the GOP finally woke up.

Harm 95% of the population, to help 5% of the population. I get it! It is government.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
What did we say is the purpose of taxation?

(that should answer your question on why higher taxes on the rich)

Why taxes at all?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:58 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,813,652 times
Quote:
There's no easy way to tell 9.6 million Americans that you are pulling their health insurance out from under them.

I'll go back to imagining a moral country where everyone has access to quality health care regardless of income. A guy can dream, right?
You don't have to tell them. Just use Obama's line...

'If you like your insurance you can keep your insurance'

...it worked for him, it can work for the governors. And don't forget... 'Hoodwink and Bamboozle'

Old 04-06-2015, 10:21 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are arguing to greatly expand the military while doing absolutely nothing for the people in this country so I would have to answer yes, the Republicans believe that.
So if people aren't wanting to fund the programs that you want funded that means they are doing absolutely nothing for the people in this country.

I guess you really do see things in a simpleminded way. Everyone either agrees with you or else they are evil.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:36 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,808,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Let me see if I have this right...

Democratic lawmakers passed a law without reading what was in it, and one with major, basic flaws. And somehow Republican governors are to blame? Nice try, but even the public isn't that stupid.

Maybe they will ask Nancy and company just why they voted for something without knowing what was in it.
Not quite. This is what happened: GOP governors made decisions for their state based on their own political principles and not based on how citizens of their state would most benefit from the ACA. Now, the GOP governors want the GOP congress to fight for the ACA, instead of against it, to prevent a political fallout from their own poor decisions. It is all here: Scott Walker: If Supreme Court guts Obamacare subsidies, GOP governors will be under ‘incredible pressure’ - The Washington Post

And here:
Quote:
while Walker himself wouldn’t emphasize this, his plan is built upon Obamacare. As he explained to Milwaukee Public Radio in 2013, the law’s subsidies are what allow him to move the transitioners off of Medicaid without leaving them no access to insurance:
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/ar...acare-in-place

Last edited by jojajn; 04-07-2015 at 12:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies