Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 AM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
mmmmm pie make mine one of two pies, either a smooth chocolate silk pie, or a spicy crawfish pie.
Uhhh...nevermind...
Quote:
it means to accept the lifestyle as one that is normal.
Why should gays, or anyone for that matter, give a damn what others think is normal? I'm sure many think you and I live "abnormal" lifestyles. Do you care what they think? Equal protection is irrelevant to anyone's opinion of "normal." And no one can force you to accept anything as normal, not even the government. I think Jehovah's Witnesses live an abnormal lifestyle. Nothing anyone says or does can change that. Not discriminating against them means I accept them as human beings; it has nothing to do with lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Won't find no gay guys eatin' pie.
Your double entendre is noted - and kinda funny, as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Your double entendre is noted - and kinda funny, as well.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
We have many long threads on this subject. Are you unable to read even one to get your answer?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We have many long threads on this subject. Are you unable to read even one to get your answer?
The more the merrier! It's a gay thread orgy, I'm tellin' ya. Please show ID at the door.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:57 AM

23,523 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Are Americans such juveniles that every little special group has to go to a bakery and order a cake that was clearly for political and media exposure purposes? Is this what America has degenerated into? Immature mobs that have to vent their pent up wing nut rage on the neighborhood baker?
Ask a little kid what he would do in a given situation when he grows up and becomes president and if his answer isn't satisfactory to the person asking, punish the toddler by smacking his butt and making him sit in a corner. The great liberal slippery slope, otherwise known as a tin foil hat fringe conspiracy. Or go to a out of the way bakery...........

Old 04-07-2015, 05:01 AM

88,942 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Uhhh...nevermind...
I caught the pie reference, too... Cute.

Quote:
Why should gays, or anyone for that matter, give a damn what others think is normal? I'm sure many think you and I live "abnormal" lifestyles. Do you care what they think? Equal protection is irrelevant to anyone's opinion of "normal." And no one can force you to accept anything as normal, not even the government. I think Jehovah's Witnesses live an abnormal lifestyle. Nothing anyone says or does can change that. Not discriminating against them means I accept them as human beings; it has nothing to do with lifestyle.
That goes both ways. The businesses noted in all these examples sell to and serve gays. They just decline to serve a participatory role in an event that is prohibited by their religion. Why discriminate against that? Why discriminate against everyone's and/or anyone's First Amendment right to freely exercise their religion?

Old 04-07-2015, 05:08 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
It really comes down to this...

There is an activist gay bunch out there which has to outright lie and present its case in a false way.

For one, deflecting the whole issue into refusing to serve and/or allowing a gay couple (or bunch) into a pizza joint or bakery. That is not the case at all and everyone really knows it.

What it DOES concern is a private business being forced to cater a gay wedding, when their religious beliefs do not allow for it.

The truth is, that many, if not most, of the homo-facists, believe (at least when it comes to Christianity), that the free exercise clause of the First Amendment allows the right of primitives to do what they want so long as it does not infringe on the doctrines of the new-age worship of political correctness. In other words, the former is to be "tolerated" only so long as it remains hidden from view.

I don't claim to be a perfect Christian -- no one is -- but I do claim to be able to recognize true tolerance and intolerance. It is a never ending shameless wonder how so many on the left can honestly believe themselves to be of the former bunch when they are, in practice, anything but...

Old 04-07-2015, 05:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
....its not about discrimination against all gays, its about business owners that have deeply held beliefs that gay marriage is wrong, and goes against what the owners believe. on the other side its about the gays wanting to force people to accept their lifestyle as completely normal.
I think you have put your finger on the nexus of the problem in what I have bolded above: "deeply held beliefs."

A businessman (or anyone) can have "deeply held beliefs" about almost anything, and this blanket term could be used to allow denial of service to anyone on the grounds of deeply held belief. These might not be based on religion, but philosophy, politics, or personal reflection, etc. Nevertheless, they are "deeply held beliefs." A person may hold such deep beliefs about the inferiority and undesirablity of any group of people and its activities, e.g. Jews, women, Hispanics, African-Americans, the DAR...the list could be virtually endless. This opens up a very troublesome can of worms for society.

If you allow denial of service based only on "deeply held religious beliefs" then you privilege those above other deeply held beliefs. And I see no justification for that at all.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:22 AM

88,942 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
It really comes down to this...

There is an activist gay bunch out there which has to outright lie and present its case in a false way.

For one, deflecting the whole issue into refusing to serve and/or allowing a gay couple (or bunch) into a pizza joint or bakery. That is not the case at all and everyone really knows it.

What it DOES concern is a private business being forced to cater a gay wedding, when their religious beliefs do not allow for it.

The truth is, that many, if not most, of the homo-facists, believe (at least when it comes to Christianity), that the free exercise clause of the First Amendment allows the right of primitives to do what they want so long as it does not infringe on the doctrines of the new-age worship of political correctness. In other words, the former is to be "tolerated" only so long as it remains hidden from view.

I don't claim to be a perfect Christian -- no one is -- but I do claim to be able to recognize true tolerance and intolerance. It is a never ending shameless wonder how so many on the left can honestly believe themselves to be of the former bunch when they are, in practice, anything but...
Excellent post! Rep to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies