Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that "Black racists don't matter"?
No, I don't agree 50 86.21%
Yes, I agree 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 01:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post

Black racists don't matter because they don't exist in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 01:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Most racists don't matter, as long as they leave it at home. The problem arises when those that are racist are make decisions that impact the lives of those which they are racist against. This could be violence, laws made, the way officers treat or judge citizens, business practices, housing regulations, even medical service and food service. Now obviously this means that irregardless of race anyone that is racist and is in any of these positions certainly matters. The extent in which they matter is relative to how much their choices and decisions and attitudes effect others. Those with the most power, and wealth in the USA typically are also linked to being in positions where they have more control, decision making power, and legal and financial privileges (benefits)that make it easier for them to make decisions which have impact on others lives. If they are racist and take the attitude out of their homes and into the decisions they make then obviously the impact can be detrimental-far more than a disabled racist, for instance, that has no real power, control, etc and isn't able to make decisions that could impact several lives.

Historical context is also important. Historically certain groups allowed their racism to factor into laws, decisions, services, etc that impacted large large groups of people. This type of racism-the one that effects en masse. So the op asks if black racists matter? Well yes, they do, if their racism factors into the decisions they make therefore causing a negative outcome for those of the other race. But how much do they matter? To the extent at which their actions and decisions hurt large quantities of people of the opposing race in ways that alter, violate, or minimize and reduce rights and quality of life. Now are black racists typically in positions where they are capable of doing such? Sometimes but not very often at all. Whites on the other hand hsve historically been in said positions and have done so. And still now they as a group hold the most power and wealth in the country. The whites in power (legal, justice, financial, business owners, etc) whom are racist certainly matter more in that context.

The average white person with little power or without position of authority don't matter very much either. But overall if we look at the big picture based on the pyramid of who's at the top of the food chain and their role, they are the racists that matter, far more than those at the bottom of the pyramid. Whites are at the top, so yes compartively speaking it is more detrimental and problemsome to come across a white racist then one that is black purely because one group has a history and presently holds more power in this country than the other.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:35 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
Well I guess since I have no wealth or power I can say anything I want without being deemed racist. Yipeeeee!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
He's biracial. Get over it.

Black racists don't matter because they don't exist in America.
And you are totally and completely full of crap.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:07 PM

3,063 posts, read 3,272,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Well I guess since I have no wealth or power I can say anything I want without being deemed racist. Yipeeeee!
Nah, your still racist, you just don't matter.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:16 PM

267 posts, read 311,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
And if they dare to proclaim they will pull the wrong lever in the voting machine, then the hatred really starts.

You make a good point. People who are racist also tend to express their racist attitudes towards people who have their same skin color as well.
Yup.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:36 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I think the bold is an overstatement, but not egregiously so. I agree with much of what follows, however.

I also think that the concept of institutional racism does cover incidents that I think you are suggesting are private expressions of prejudice. For example, I think that institutional racism would include bias against black-sounding names on resumes.

Racial bias in policing is institutional, and also official in that it has the imprimatur of law. But at least aspects of racial bias in policing rest on the private prejudices/biases of individual representatives of law enforcement.

I actually had a typo. I meant to say, "everytime a white person is racist is not an instance of institutional racism."

If some old white dude is racist towards his black neighbors and everyone else is nice and fine to them, then it's just an old dude being racist.

Same thing if an old black man goes around being racist towards whites he encounters in a store. Just single instances of racism/prejudice.

It MATTERS though from the perspective that every individual interaction between peoples matters in a civil society. Because as you point out, it all adds up to create institutional issues.

And if black people interact negatively with white people, and white people interact negatively with black people, it creates a negative feedback loop and environment of lack of mutual respect.

Without mutual respect you have nothing. You have no progress.

Frankly, all parties must be held to the standard of not being racist. If you believe black people cannot or should not, then it's just a case of soft bigotry of lowered expectations.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I actually had a typo. I meant to say, "everytime a white person is racist is not an instance of institutional racism."

If some old white dude is racist towards his black neighbors and everyone else is nice and fine to them, then it's just an old dude being racist.

Same thing if an old black man goes around being racist towards whites he encounters in a store. Just single instances of racism/prejudice.

It MATTERS though from the perspective that every individual interaction between peoples matters in a civil society. Because as you point out, it all adds up to create institutional issues.

And if black people interact negatively with white people, and white people interact negatively with black people, it creates a negative feedback loop and environment of lack of mutual respect.

Without mutual respect you have nothing. You have no progress.

Frankly, all parties must be held to the standard of not being racist. If you believe black people cannot or should not, then it's just a case of soft bigotry of lowered expectations.
The bold is a strawman. Other than that statement, I understand your point of view. While I think your "both-sidedness" is undue and focuses too much on the trees than on the forest, so to speak, I do get where you are coming from.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,227,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Tell me how a black racist has ruined your life.

Don't worry I'll wait.
No racist has ruined my life. I don't have the psychological need for approval from whites, or any other races. If somebody thinks they're better than me, that's just what they think.

People are bigoted, get over it. We just gotta ignore them, and move forward.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:09 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
You have white privilege.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No racist has ruined my life. I don't have the psychological need for approval from whites, or any other races. If somebody thinks they're better than me, that's just what they think.

People are bigoted, get over it. We just gotta ignore them, and move forward.
You missed the point.

Then again, you probably think the criminal justice system is equal or that housing discrimination doesn't exist anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies