Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,775,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Not sure why there is a constant request for citations against fracking because there hasn't been one that anyone accepts but according to wiki.. "In 2012, Vermont became the first state in the United States to ban hydraulic fracturing. On December 17, 2014, New York became the second state to issue a complete ban on any hydraulic fracturing due to potential risks to human health and the environment".

If there are no issues with it why would two entire states ban it all together because of the potential risks?
The same reason states ban other completely safe things, political pressure from lobbyist that are not supported by science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM

58 posts, read 39,923 times
Then why are these people all over the internet affected? Do you live in an area that is heavily fracked? That still does not fix the permanent changes that happen to the community and the influx of "out of town workers" that cause problems. Not to mention the destruction of property values and quality of life. So states are banning fracking for no reason....find that hard to believe! Lobbyists for Energy companies are the most powerful in the world. No one can touch them! The nuts and bolts are when you campaign for office it costs millions of dollars.....Energy Companies are happy to oblige.......you owe them something. None of that is free. A little fracking waste "swept under the rug" perhaps...I think so!

Last edited by GG706; 05-14-2015 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-14-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
For every person you can find complaining you can find one happy, neither of that is fact based evidence.
Where are they? I have not found anyone happy about fracking or Class I-IV wells being put in nearby. My family has owned a farm since the settling of this country......my parents life and my inheritance would be nil if a Class II well came to that area! I would be interested to hear from someone happy about a Class II well being put into their neighborhood!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:05 PM

Still dancing around the real problems? North Dakota looks like a trashy RV park!

Old 05-14-2015, 08:09 PM

67,652 posts, read 60,329,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG706 View Post
Interesting how you all demand a link to prove contamination, then when you are given one that proves contamination you pick and choose certain things to comment on and attempt to completely dismiss that the unfortunate fact is that water IS being contaminated. The fact we NEED fossil fuels is garbage! PEOPLE NEED to change our wasteful, gluttonous society. We have plenty of technology to get us off a lot of fossil fuels, but the GAS AND OIL COMPANIES won't ALLOW it! Everyone seems to have the attitude "as long as it doesn't affect me". And that is really sad because a lot of people are having their lives and their children's lives very much affected and ruined because of all this. I would hate to be a property owner and have a class II well put in near my home! Those of you who are for it need to go purchase property near all of this, put your money and your lives where your mouth is......
I already gave you an extensive list of items that are made using fossil fuels. How many of those items are you willing to boycott?

Put your money where your mouth is.

By the way, I've lived around fracking sites most of my life. Not only that, my husband is an oil and gas consultant who works literally right on top of fracking sites. So our money IS where our mouth is. Do you think for a minute that I want my husband working in an unreasonably dangerous environment for two weeks out of every month? Do you think he would intentionally put me in harms' way? He knows - much better than you do - exactly what is involved in fracking wells.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I already gave you an extensive list of items that are made using fossil fuels. How many of those items are you willing to boycott?

Put your money where your mouth is.

By the way, I've lived around fracking sites most of my life. Not only that, my husband is an oil and gas consultant who works literally right on top of fracking sites. So our money IS where our mouth is. Do you think for a minute that I want my husband working in an unreasonably dangerous environment for two weeks out of every month? Do you think he would intentionally put me in harms' way? He knows - much better than you do - exactly what is involved in fracking wells.
I understand this more than you think. I have seen first hand pictures of THIS GARBAGE"! Glad you are happy living in it. But others feel differently. You are after the WRONG one about "giving up things" I would be very content to going back to riding horses, farming, self sustained lifestyle.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Then why are these people all over the internet affected? Do you live in an area that is heavily fracked? That still does not fix the permanent changes that happen to the community and the influx of "out of town workers" that cause problems. Not to mention the destruction of property values and quality of life. So states are banning fracking for no reason....find that hard to believe! Lobbyists for Energy companies are the most powerful in the world. No one can touch them! The nuts and bolts are when you campaign for office it costs millions of dollars.....Energy Companies are happy to oblige.......you owe them something. None of that is free. A little fracking waste "swept under the rug" perhaps...I think so!
Do you realize that "fracking a well" is a short term process? It's not like it goes on for months or years at a time. And oil and gas companies are required to return used land to it's original condition - did you know that?

I live in East Texas - you know, home of the biggest oil boom in US history back in the 1930s. In fact, I lived for years in the epicenter of that oil boom - Kilgore, Texas. For all the years I've lived here, wells have been being fracked all around me, all the time.

Not only that, the Haynesville shale took off like a wild mustang with natural gas a few years ago, and brought an economic boom to that whole area - many people became millionaires almost overnight. Towns built needed schools and infrastructure. Roads were improved.

Sorry - don't see the problem.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I understand this more than you think. I have seen first hand pictures of THIS GARBAGE"! Glad you are happy living in it. But others feel differently. You are after the WRONG one about "giving up things" I would be very content to going back to riding horses, farming, self sustained lifestyle.

So which items on the list are you going to give up?

http://www-tc.pbs.org/independentlen.../petroleum.pdf

Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 PM

All of it can go as far as I am concerned. I don't need any of it, and furthermore, currently don't use much of it in my life.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you realize that "fracking a well" is a short term process? It's not like it goes on for months or years at a time. And oil and gas companies are required to return used land to it's original condition - did you know that?

I live in East Texas - you know, home of the biggest oil boom in US history back in the 1930s. In fact, I lived for years in the epicenter of that oil boom - Kilgore, Texas. For all the years I've lived here, wells have been being fracked all around me, all the time.

Not only that, the Haynesville shale took off like a wild mustang with natural gas a few years ago, and brought an economic boom to that whole area - many people became millionaires almost overnight. Towns built needed schools and infrastructure. Roads were improved.

Sorry - don't see the problem.
I do and it will be in my children's lifetime. Which I have a problem with! Fracking and Class wells are 2 different things as well. I would not want to own property near a Class dumping well! So you feel nothing for the people affected? I can not relate to that. How much compensation does one get having a Class II well put in near their home?

Last edited by GG706; 05-14-2015 at 08:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies