Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
that's it. I cant speak English. gemmie my muny
Uhmmm good for you, but even if we add the illiteracy part it says its only considered as a factor. Not a actual disability. Why do people miss that?

Other things that are considered:
skillsets
type of disability

etc etc etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 03:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Reading some of the responses from right-wingers on here, it's clear that every single American who is a Spanish speaker, or Hispanic, should vote for the Democratic Party. It's clear that, despite the GOP establishment wants to embrace PR as the 51st state, the rank-and-file GOP voter does not. People like Rubio and Cruz are just tokens who speak "white" to not scare xenophobic Republican voters. To me, this is the same as talking behind someone's back. Not acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Uhmmm good for you, but even if we add the illiteracy part it says its only considered as a factor. Not a actual disability. Why do people miss that?

skillsets
type of disability

etc etc etc
Why do wingnuts miss that? Because they have very selective vision, they see only what they want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
I'm sorry, but Puerto Rico needs to be let go.

...they should be granted their independence whether they like it or not. No more federal funding to Puerto Rico.
No more federal funding for poor whites who have their teeth missing from meth in the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree. They are nothing but a burden to us.
Blame the GOP. You guys added us to the US, and resisted our attempts to be independent. Hell, we were made a full province of Spain in 1898, but you Republicans under President McKinley had to grease those rifles of yours didn't you? We wanted to be left alone or be part of Spain, but you put down every single act of rebellion against US rule, and we grew used to the US ruling us. Now we are comfortable, you want us to leave. Sorry, doesn't work that way. How telling, as well, that the GOP's official stance on Puerto Rico is make us into the 51st state. By the way, why don't you complain about Spanish being the official language of New Mexico?

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-07-2015 at 03:58 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:

skillsets
type of disability

etc etc etc
What the law states and what occurred are at odds with each other.
That is what the OIG audit report uncovered.

One plant in Puerto Rico closed..300 put out of work. 290 applied for and got SSDI based on their inability to speak English.

The law is being abused.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:03 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,099 times
Quote:
No more federal funding for poor whites who have their teeth missing from meth in the South
Puerto Rico is a whole nation of poor white people that should be left to fend for themselves. We shouldn't have the obligation to care for anybody else but Americans.

Quote:
We wanted to be left alone or be part of Spain, but you put down every single act of rebellion against US rule, and we grew used to the US ruling us.
The independence movement is mostly people in the United States hollering about nothing. Every time they have ever voted in Puerto Rico, not 5% of them vote for independence. Why? Because they know they benefit from their parasitic relationship with the U.S. They don't want to be just another poor carribean nation.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:06 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico is a whole nation of poor white people that should be left to fend for themselves. We shouldn't have the obligation to care for anybody else but Americans.
Ok, so then, what's the issue? You're complaining about nothing if you're tired of the US "caring" for non-Americans

Old 04-07-2015, 04:27 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,346,453 times
Hmm...maybe I'll move to PR and claim disability retirement for knowing Ingles solamente.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:51 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What the law states and what occurred are at odds with each other.
That is what the OIG audit report uncovered.

One plant in Puerto Rico closed..300 put out of work. 290 applied for and got SSDI based on their inability to speak English.

The law is being abused.
Apparently you havent actually read the OIG report. Its linked on one of the earlier comments here.

You're making stuff up. No one is getting approved solely based on their inability to speak English. Sigh.

This is a mountain out of a molehill. People are correct that this should not be a factor in the determination in Puerto Rico, but its also not clear how many were approved based upon this. The report referenced 214? 218? or so people where it was considered a factor. Those should be re-reviewed. I would expect that for the vast majority of them, it was not the deciding factor.

Please stop making stuff up.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
I CRINGE when I see threads about Puerto Rico in the P&OC section, I know it will draw in the misinformed and the bigoted.

I am not even sure Puerto Rico could become independent, while it is true that they are legally a territory and thus could technically become independent, their US citizenship complicates things to the point where I don't think independence is feasible. I don't think it's constitutionally possible for the US to surrender sovereignty over 3 1/2 million of it's own people.

That said, this is really stupid. We should be encouraging bilingualism among Puerto Ricans. By giving them money because they can't speak English we are basically telling them that it's ok to not learn English. All federal policy regarding Puerto Rico should center around partial assimilation and eventual integration (incorporated territory leading to statehood).

Old 04-07-2015, 05:06 PM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but Puerto Rico needs to be let go.

...they should be granted their independence whether they like it or not. No more federal funding to Puerto Rico.
The US took PR against their will and restructured their economy in a way that made it exceedingly difficult for Puerto Rico to function as an independent entity. It's your fault they're a burden to you.

The US has an illustrious history of invading countries willy-nilly and then cutting them loose when things get costly, and then they have the nerve to be upset when people from these countries turn into millitants and terrorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I CRINGE when I see threads about Puerto Rico in the P&OC section, I know it will draw in the misinformed and the bigoted.

I am not even sure Puerto Rico could become independent, while it is true that they are legally a territory and thus could technically become independent, their US citizenship complicates things to the point where I don't think independence is feasible. I don't think it's constitutionally possible for the US to surrender sovereignty over 3 1/2 million of it's own people.

That said, this is really stupid. We should be encouraging bilingualism among Puerto Ricans. By giving them money because they can't speak English we are basically telling them that it's ok to not learn English. All federal policy regarding Puerto Rico should center around partial assimilation and eventual integration (incorporated territory leading to statehood).

Why should they be forced to learn English? Puerto Rico doesn't border ANY English speaking territories, and of those Puerto Ricans who decided to move to the states, most of them can speak English once they get to the mainland. Furthermore, they never asked to be part of the US anyway.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
it was not the deciding factor.
Though 95 percent of Puerto Ricans speak Spanish at home, according to the rules a Spanish-speaking nurse in Puerto Rico would be considered “unskilled,” the OIG said.

you cannot say that it "was not the deciding factor", because not only in P.R. but also
in the States and other territories if they don't speak or write English well, it HELPS
them get SSDI. The other requirements are not very difficult, and the truth is that
without looking at every case you can't make the case that it's not enough on its own,
because they do not say it is not enough. I'm sure you're aware that it leads to abuse
intentionally - we're talking about a serious issue - lifetime payments. Enough to live on,
especially if it is augmented by other programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies