Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 PM

39,036 posts, read 51,128,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well the dash cam video is worthless, all you can get from that is the guy ran.
And that the cop had his ID and there was another person in the car. It would have been easy to find out where he was after he fled. Also that Scott was not under arrest and so was not resisting arrest at that time. There was no need to pursue Scott and certainly none to gun him down from behind while he was fleeing. It was murder, pure and simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,079,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
They're all dirty.

All for one, and one for all.

It's group steady.

Im disgusted,,, at the ex officer that committed this unjustified act of violence ending a mans life... every man and woman on my shift.. at my station,,, and potentially my department is disgusted... we all will continue to wonder.. what was this guy thinking and how and why was he so misguided

Im disgusted as a lifetime police officer that both of you are also so misguided.. "they are all dirty"... really sick... and of course.. wrong

As I begin to watch all the videos I am disturbed and concerned at what happened before the stop.. as the stop occurs.. how the initial contact was done.. what was and was not done when the suspect fled...
We train everyday using scenarios just like this... I will say this.. as a one man unit we are trained not to pursue UNLESS absolutely necessary for a crime of the dangerous kind.. and only then when we have a full plan in place... the plan is a tactical checklist.. and it is extensive and a mental and physical, and communication checklist .. we dont just get to foot pursue anymore... and any department that isnt training their officers in such techniques is in the dark ages... we have had too many officers killed in one person foot pursuits.. so we have other and potentially better ways to capture suspects. If I even considered doing what this officer did there would be no radio car when I returned and it would have been stripped clean.

Tactically in my opinion knowing what I know from the videos nothing was done right from the get go... and while I wont discuss tactics I will tell you there is little to nothing about this incident that would be policy or within training guidelines where I work

If it feels good to both of you to high five and get this off your chest.. fine... dogpile... but dont paint the rest of us with your sick brush,,, there are 600000 of us... we dont tolerate this crap for one second.. I know that doesnt fit with your agenda... but where I work.. we live the job.. and if you arent passionate about a life of service you will be found out and get a MacDonalds application.. if you're a crook..Ill hook you faster than ky on a stripper pole..and be happy I did so

The blue wall was around when I started.. it has long since evolved and dissolved... Im telling you firsthand.. again.. this might not fit your agenda... everyone I work with is a professional to the man and woman.. those that aren't get weeded out pretty quickly or if they stay around... leave patrol...I've hooked up other police twice in my career,, one was a crook and it felt so sweet and made me feel so good to this day Im proud I got to do it... the other was stupid and it was DUI.. but it was my job and I hate them so it still felt ok...

I think justice will be swift and appropriate in this case... I believe we will see a conviction for second degree murder with a long sentence... the sentence will be as long or longer than any non officer would get.. I predict the judge will be harsh and we will hear it... he will give a speech how this officer lost his way and dishonored the rest of us and then he will slam him

Evidence of mitigating circumstances will come out.. about the officer.. about what happened,, about the defendant.. in the end I see lady justice working...

Which is the way the world is supposed to work.. it may not work the way you feel it should.. but it works.. and I believe in it.....

Old 04-09-2015, 09:33 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,028,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Did the officer think Scott had his Taser gun and then realized it was on the ground? Slager turned around, went back to get it, and then he planted it next to the body. How did the Taser get on the ground?

Please let's have a civil discussion. I do not think the officer was right in shooting a man in the back, but I'm wondering if this is a murder case or manslaughter. I watched the dash cam video and super liberal Lawrence O'Donnell just said the officer was very professional and polite during the traffic stop. What set him off?
Good post. I too want to know all that happened. It wont clear the cop but still, it'd give a better picture perhaps. The cop eventually caught up to him, the taser came out. What transpired then is what hopefully comes out next.

Cop is clearly wrong for what he did, but the not so innocent dead guy should've stayed out. When has running from the cops, ever been a good idea?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:06 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,902,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
He didn't want to have to chase him down, or let him get away.

What else was he to do?
He had his driver's license, although not everyone keeps his address current. There was also a passenger in the car. So he could have let Scott go. Also, he called for backup and another officer was on the scene in a few minutes. He didn't need to shoot him. If the man was a violent criminal or a sex predator, it would be different. It was really stupid of Scott to run, but even armed robbers and drug dealers don't get the Death Penalty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Good post. I too want to know all that happened. It wont clear the cop but still, it'd give a better picture perhaps. The cop eventually caught up to him, the taser came out. What transpired then is what hopefully comes out next.

Cop is clearly wrong for what he did, but the not so innocent dead guy should've stayed out. When has running from the cops, ever been a good idea?
I just heard that the coroner said there were marks on Scott's body from a taser, but he didn't feel they were severe enough to disable him. So maybe that's why he was able to continue running.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:18 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,927,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Police need to shoot to stop and not shoot to kill. If he had shot him in the legs he would have gone down.

Too many cops shoot to kill..............when shoot to stop was best..........
We had a 76 year old woman shot with a taser in our town a couple or three years ago.
Spoken by someone who has never fired a firearm. First of all, it isn't easy to shoot someone who is running. Secondly, if you try and shoot in the legs, there is a very high probability that you will miss. Where does that bullet go? Does it hit an innocent bystander? That is why you never " shoot to stop". Cops are typically terrible with a firearm anyway. The only time they go to the range is to qualify, once a year. This man should never have been shot, but that said, your assessment is ridiculous and shows a complete misunderstanding of the capability of most people who own a firearm, irrespective of whether or not they are in law enforcement.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:26 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,623,030 times
What should happen to the other officer who apparently filed a police report that does not match the video?

I am referencing the dropping of something by the body

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 AM

18,975 posts, read 14,151,842 times
Latest news reports that the deceased was a fugitive from justice (outstanding warrants).
. . .
If the officer had not embellished his tale, the shooting may have been justified.
*(Fugitives from justice are an excepted class, armed or not.)
. . .
I suspect that he will be found innocent of the murder charge, but may be nailed on perjury or filing a false report.
Probably will plead out to a lesser charge.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:50 AM

25,823 posts, read 16,483,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Then don't become a cop if you don't wanna confront criminals. I don't belong to the group you're talking about so pardon me if I don't relate.

What the hell do you want me to tell you?
Then quit wondering why the quality of cop keeps declining. How many people who would make great cops are choosing something else because of the element they have to deal with?

Old 04-10-2015, 05:22 AM

10,827 posts, read 14,912,030 times
But it gets even worse in the case where a 43 year old policeman killed a 95 year old WW2 veteran suffering from dementia in a nursing home!

The unruly veteran was refusing to leave his room at the Victory Centre for Assisted Living for a trip to a hospital when Taylor and four other Park Forest police officers confronted him. There were four cops who were wearing protective vests and shields. Taylor shot Wrana, who was waving a knife and a cane, with five beanbag rounds causing internal bleeding and death. Those rascally 95 year old veterans suffering dementia... you got to watch em, they sure can be dangerous when confronting four cops with body army and shields. I wonder if the cops were backed up by SWAT teams and two armored cars with machine guns?

Oh... the cop was black and the victim was white? Oh.... never mind!

Old 04-10-2015, 05:44 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,728,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Not if the suspect is clearly running away. You cannot shoot anyone in the back the law says.
Actually, if the guy had just shot and killed 14 people and is fleeing the scene, the officer "can" shoot him in the back, because the fleeing suspect is posing a danger. The inference is: if you don't stop him, he is going to kill more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies