Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Thank you. But where is the scuffle?
For the third time, the guy who shot the
video said it occurred before he started filming.

He is the chief witness for the prosecution;
do you think he made that up to help the cop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
You inserted the vid, and then complain when what you want people to see isn't in it! Just state w/o posting the vid there was a comment that a scuttle might have ensued (course, since vid guy is walking, must be a few second scuttle, given normal walking speed). State there is no physical evidence of a scuttle.

The execution on the vid though..undisputed physical evidence.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:55 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
For the third time, the guy who shot the
video said it occurred before he started filming.

He is the chief witness for the prosecution;
do you think he made that up to help the cop?
I'm sorry, did you post to me 3 times and I ignored you

Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, did you post to me 3 times and I ignored you
You quoted me; you just ignored what I said.
South Carolina police shooting discrepancies - CNN.com
Quote:
Feidin Santana, the witness who recorded the video, said he didn't see Scott grab Slager's Taser. His account contradicts what Slager told dispatchers.

In two interviews with NBC, Santana said that he was walking to his job in North Charleston on Saturday morning when he saw Slager chase Scott, who had been pulled over for a broken taillight.

Santana told NBC's Lester Holt on Wednesday that he saw the two men struggling on the ground.

"They were down on the (ground) ... before I started recording," Santana said. "I remember the police (officer) had control of the situation. He had control of Scott."
...and before you accuse me of taking the cop's side in this, remember I called it murder.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:19 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Do you have a link for this because I haven't seen it.

During the NBC interview, Lester Holt asked if there was a struggle. He answered, "Yes." He then said the 2 men were "down on the floor." Lester Holt said, "You mean on the ground." Santana also said he assumed the struggle was because Scott didn't want the officer to use the taser again.

That's why in an earlier post I said it's possible Slager thought Scott had his taser. Why else would a cop leave a weapon on the ground? When he realized he screwed up, he ran back and retrieved it and placed it next to the body. Maybe "he grabbed my taser" wasn't a lie at first, but then he tried to cover it up with a false police report and planting evidence after the shooting.

Again, I am not justifying this shooting at all. I'm only saying I doubt if the police officer stopped a driver and then decided to kill him for running. He wouldn't have used his taser if that were the case. The eyewitness also said in the interview that the police officer had "complete control" when they were on the ground. So how did Scott manage to get away?

Edit: Here. I found the NBC video of the interview. There's one minute of advertising before it starts.

[url]http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/witness-who-recorded-walter-scott-shooting-speaks-out-425158211698[/url]

Last edited by justNancy; 04-11-2015 at 11:40 PM.. Reason: add link

Old 04-11-2015, 11:40 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
During the NBC interview, Lester Holt asked if there was a struggle. He answered, "Yes." He then said the 2 men were "down on the floor." Lester Holt said, "You mean on the ground." Santana also said he assumed the struggle was because Scott didn't want the officer to use the taser again.

That's why in an earlier post I said it's possible Slager thought Scott had his taser. Why else would a cop leave a weapon on the ground? When he realized he screwed up, he went back and retrieved it and placed it next to the body. Maybe "he grabbed my taser" wasn't a lie at first, but then he tried to cover it up with a false police report and planting evidence after the shooting.

Again, I am not justifying this shooting at all. I'm only saying I doubt if the police officer stopped a driver and then decided to kill him for running. He wouldn't have used his taser if that were the case. The eyewitness also said in the interview that the police officer had complete control of Scott when they were on the ground. So how did he manage to get away?

Edit: Here's a video of the interview with the bystander who recorded the shooting. There's one minute of advertising before it starts.

Witness Who Recorded Walter Scott Shooting Speaks Out - NBC News
In one respect, you are right. He didn't kill him only because Scott ran. He killed him because he completely lost his cool and unloaded on him once Scott started running again. But that doesn't make it a justified shooting. Still makes it murder. I mean, the cop even had time to take a stance and sight in!

Old 04-11-2015, 11:44 PM

32,066 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Honestly, I don't care what led up to this or what this guy did in his past. The fact is that he was shot in the back while running away unarmed.

Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
In one respect, you are right. He didn't kill him only because Scott ran. He killed him because he completely lost his cool and unloaded on him once Scott started running again. But that doesn't make it a justified shooting. Still makes it murder. I mean, the cop even had time to take a stance and sight in!
Sorry. You were writing while I was still editing.

Anyway, I've never taken the cop's side. I am only trying to figure out what happened and why a man stopped for a broken light was shot to death. I also think that if, as you wrote, he lost his cool, it's manslaughter, not murder. I'm not sure because he is a trained police officer. However, often when a person kills in the heat of the moment and can prove there was no intent or malice, I think the charge can be reduced to manslaughter.

I want bad cops off the street as much as anyone else. I just want to hear the entire story and not rely on a single videotape, as damning as it is.
Quote:
Honestly, I don't care what led up to this or what this guy did in his past. The fact is that he was shot in the back while running away unarmed.
You asked for a link proving the witness said there was a struggle, didn't you?

Old 04-12-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Yup. That is a fact.
I only suggested that the intervening "struggle"
may mean no 1st degree murder conviction.
I don't see the struggle as a mitigating factor.
He took a stance like he was at the target range
and fired eight shots at the man's back.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:37 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Justnancy, If he just lost his cool, it can still be murder. Not all murder charges require pre-meditation. There was clearly an execution here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies