Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 09:55 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Look....it seems that some people are hell bent on trying to dismiss the element of race from such events.
If you make it into a race and police matter rather than a citizen and militarized police matter then it will backfire against you because there are elements on the police side and elements in other races that would love nothing better as well using the media to play divide and conquer just like they do with "Democrats" and "Republicans"

Not a DAM thing will change with division of the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 PM

89 posts, read 101,224 times
The times we are living in today are very frightening to me. I honestly don't know anyone who isn't somewhat fearful when an officer has stopped them for a traffic citation or randomly in public. What I do know, if you've never been in a situation with an officer who took it upon themselves to abuse their power, you really don't completely understand.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course.

Our children are seeing this happen. Which puts even more fear towards police. Everyone responds differently to being in a fearful situation. Some tolerate the abuse and some fight for their life. I've been in a situation wherein an officer abused his power. Nothing happened to the officer after I filed a complaint. I was fearful for a very long time afterwards because I knew he could easily access my address and other contact information.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:55 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Look....it seems that some people are hell bent on trying to dismiss the element of race from such events. Some of you people act like for something to be racial......that it must ONLY HAPPEN to blacks. You all have this "all or nothing" perception about race and racism. You act argue as if pointing out things that is contrary to the rule is debunking the claim of what is the rule. The fact that there are police shootings of unarmed whites does not mean that it's not a racial element when it happens to blacks. I mean....when the issue is homicide rates or children born out of wedlock, white folks do not try so hard to not make it a "racial issue" and are quick to point out that the reason that the focus on blacks is because the occurrence is so disproportionate amount blacks. Yet, when it comes to pointing the finger at things disproportionate among whites, like racism and the rate white cops are more likely to kill blacks.....you do your dam best to try to make it not a "racial thing".
Why can't YOU see that to some of us, while we KNOW that many of these are indeed racially motivated, what matters to us is the fact that authority gets out of control with ANY ONE.

You focus on the race part of it, "black lives matter", I focus on the fact that this happens AT ALL, "all lives matter".

I am condemning what this thug cop did to a PERSON. Was this incident racially motivated? Well, gee, why the hell did he shoot the guy? There was no reason to shoot the guy, and in this particular case, while I am not inside that cop's mind, I'm going to bet you are right, the guy was black while running, a crime that apparently deserves death. But I take it further than that, I see a person who is dead now due to cops abusing their powers. THAT is what I'm concerned with - the abuse of power. To me, the abuse of power on anyone is bigger than the issue of racist cops. To me, them using race as their reason is nothing but a **** poor excuse to abuse the people of this country.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Why can't YOU see that to some of us, while we KNOW that many of these are indeed racially motivated, what matters to us is the fact that authority gets out of control with ANY ONE.

You focus on the race part of it, "black lives matter", I focus on the fact that this happens AT ALL, "all lives matter".

I am condemning what this thug cop did to a PERSON. Was this incident racially motivated? Well, gee, why the hell did he shoot the guy? There was no reason to shoot the guy, and in this particular case, while I am not inside that cop's mind, I'm going to bet you are right, the guy was black while running, a crime that apparently deserves death. But I take it further than that, I see a person who is dead now due to cops abusing their powers. THAT is what I'm concerned with - the abuse of power. To me, the abuse of power on anyone is bigger than the issue of racist cops. To me, them using race as their reason is nothing but a **** poor excuse to abuse the people of this country.
We understand your logic, we know that people overstep their authority, But as you pointed out, you admit that there is racial bias. And to many that is inexcusable.

And as a percentage of the population, police violence against black people is on a larger scale, as are conviction rates and sentencing, despite whites being arrested more.

The "all lives matter" argument, would work, if the injustice itself was equal, but it isnt. So can't YOU see that ?

And just to add a note, " the all lives matter" line is down right disrespectful to the message that "black lives matters" project. If your specific argument is exactly what you said in the above, i suggest a new slogan. Even if you dont want to do it to satisfy people like me, do it so that you dont get lumped in with the group of morons using that phrase to parody and mock "black lives matter"

Old 04-07-2015, 11:17 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Sad but true. The guy obviously was an idiot. What the hell was he running for in the first place? And what went flying before he ran?

Cop was clearly in the wrong but the guy who was killed was a friggin idiot.

Well the guy probably figured the cop was going to chase him since he was running away not shoot him dead

Old 04-07-2015, 11:24 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Sad but true. The guy obviously was an idiot. What the hell was he running for in the first place? And what went flying before he ran?

Cop was clearly in the wrong but the guy who was killed was a friggin idiot.
I don't want to sound stupid, but where is the car in the video? I keep hearing this was a routine traffic stop, but was this cop planning to do this man harm? Is that why he ran?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-08-2015 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 04-07-2015, 11:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
His defense will be he "thought" the guy had his taser - the taser that's on the ground in front of him as he shoots.
Unbelievable

Old 04-07-2015, 11:30 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
You strait skippy he would have gotten away with it. Typical story....scared for his life. Without videos.....all these azz holes would get away.....because most get away even with videos.
But isn't part of being an officer of the law to put yourself in extremely dangerous situations, to put your life on the line? When did cops all of a sudden just decide to shoot to kill right off the hop when part of their job description is to be in harms way?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
And that's why it amazes me that the media believes everything the police says after a shooting. You know if it wasn't any video of this the media would have believed the taser story and the cop would have gotten away with murder.
I think that's an advantage we have here in SC with SLED. They not only can independently investigate these types of cop involved crimes but have the power to levy charges as well, something which used to be the sole discretion of the prosecutor only and had a long history of resulting in no charges for the officer (both black and white victims). SLED has the power to analyze all of the forensics,evidence, etc and they have charged cops in the past - there's another one on trial right now for shooting an unarmed man. The issues have generally come when it got to the prosecution part of the trial. Either the prosecutor pleads it down to something ridiculous or just puts no effort into actually prosecuting the case. People really do trust SLED here in SC because they will go after dirty cops. Good news, the solicitor (prosecutor) for Charleston County is not the kind to go easy on a person just because they're a cop. She is hard nosed and known for that.

The eight shots in his back was just never going to fly with this cop's story. The forensics flat out did not match up. I think the video makes it super easy for the prosecution though - really a slam dunk case now. Noticed, the attorney for the cop resigned for the case. I'm guessing he saw it as the loser it was.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't want to sound stupid, but where is the car in the video? I keep hearing this was a routine traffic stop, but was this cop planning to do this man harm? Is that why he ran?
This guy ran presumably because he had warrants out on him for child support. This area of Charleston is bad and generally has pretty bad crime problems although Mayor Sumney has done a pretty good job getting it better in recent years but it did used to be in the top 10 for most dangerous cities in America. I can only guess this officer decided that running meant guilty and dangerous but his actions show he clearly lost total control of the situation and turned this traffic stop into his committing murder. Of note, North Charleston is a different city than Charleston proper so it has its own police force, mayor, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies