Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 PM

12,382 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What hogwash. The only difference is that conservative Christians are selectively bigoted against homosexuals while ignoring other cases where the same principle should apply.
You see two people what can you notice by sight? Their previous or even present domestic living status? No. If they attend a church must less the same church? Nope not that either. Do they seem to be the same gender or is one living as the other gender against the holy book restrictions? Yes we can see that they are the same gender

Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
According to the bible in many cases remarrying after divorce is a sin. However you will never hear of a Christian business refusing service for weddings that are second marriages for one or both of the recipients. You will hardly even hear of churches or pastors refusing to marry these couples. In addition, the New Testament also forbids a Christian from marrying a non-believer, yet almost all Protestant Christian businesses or churches have no qualms providing services for these type of weddings. This proves the "Religious freedom" cry is just a ploy. This is all about discriminating against homosexuals, and certainly not about upholding the tenants of biblical marriage.

"Do not be bound together [unequally yoked] with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14)

"Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery” (Matthew 19:9).

Perhaps this would be a better example of what the New Testaments says about marriage, divorce and remarriage...

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

1 Corinthians 7:8-15

As for the second verse, it is the answer to a question about Jewish law. Everyone in the conversation was a Jew living under Jewish law. Christians are not bound by Jewish law. If they were, they would have their boys circumcised and refuse to eat pork.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:16 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
You really have never heard of the hoops a Catholic must go through to get an annulment?
Rich Catholics get them very easily.
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Perhaps this would be a better example of what the New Testaments says about marriage, divorce and remarriage...

Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. But if the unbeliever leaves, let it be so. The brother or the sister is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace.

As for the second verse, it is the answer to a question about Jewish law. Everyone in the conversation was a Jew living under Jewish law. Christians are not bound by Jewish law. If they were, they would have their boys circumcised and refuse to eat pork.
You guys play this Christian/Jewish law thing to the hilt. It's amazing how you quote both testaments all the time when it's convenient, but when it's inconvenient, you throw away the old Testament like a bag of old rags.

You're worshipping the same "God." I wish you folks would make up your minds.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:31 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,931 times
Quote:

1 Corinth

Paul's church in Corinth was mainly made up of Greeks he had converted to Christianity, and this is who he was writing this letter to.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:38 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
According to the bible in many cases remarrying after divorce is a sin. However you will never hear of a Christian business refusing service for weddings that are second marriages for one or both of the recipients. You will hardly even hear of churches or pastors refusing to marry these couples. In addition, the New Testament also forbids a Christian from marrying a non-believer, yet almost all Protestant Christian businesses or churches have no qualms providing services for these type of weddings. This proves the "Religious freedom" cry is just a ploy. This is all about discriminating against homosexuals, and certainly not about upholding the tenants of biblical marriage.

"Do not be bound together [unequally yoked] with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14)

"Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery” (Matthew 19:9).
And your point is????

Look, people have a right to be racist. People have the right to be homophobic. People have the right to be hypocrites.

You must only like freedom when you agree with what is being said or done.

So do you support true freedom or not?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You guys play this Christian/Jewish law thing to the hilt. It's amazing how you quote both testaments all the time when it's convenient, but when it's inconvenient, you throw away the old Testament like a bag of old rags.

You're worshipping the same "God." I wish you folks would make up your minds.

Sin was around before Jewish law.

Adam and Eve sinned.

You don`t have to be under Jewish law to sin.

If you want to call Christians hypocrites because they are not following Jewish law while refusing to join with others in what they believe is sinful behavior (a same-sex wedding), understand that sin exists apart form Jewish law.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:

Actually you will hear of pastors refusing to marry these couples but since different churches have different beliefs on what warrants a divorce you can usually find someone to marry you and if you can't, you go the civil route.

My father tried to kill my mother when I was a baby. The Catholic church not only would not condone her divorce but they told her to go back to her husband. She divorced him anyway. Her marriage to my step father was a civil marriage because she could not be married in the church. She was excommunicated for her remarriage.

Every divorce/remarriage case I know of in the church has been a case where adultery was involved. Some churches are stricter than others.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Sin was around before Jewish law.

Adam and Eve sinned.

You don`t have to be under Jewish law to sin.

If you want to call Christians hypocrites because they are not following Jewish law while refusing to join with others in what they believe is sinful behavior (a same-sex wedding), understand that sin exists apart form Jewish law.
Yeah but desertdetroiter has a point, Christians are really quick to claim something is "Old Testament law" when they don't want to abide by it. Your statement about what Jesus said being jewish law is partially false. The Pharisees were legally testing him and he first gave the appropriate legal answer according to jewish law. But then he gives his OWN decree, a new law, straight from Jesus, "I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.” Yet it's fully that thousands of Protestant churches perform these second marriages everyday and wedding businesses provide services for them with no qualms.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

So do you support true freedom or not?
It's not that simple. We are debating the freedom to discriminate. That's a tricky topic.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:15 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Curious Surftown which church you go to? And which Christian run businesses do you know? I know that neither of the churches I attend will perform wedding ceremonies for divorced couples. As for being unequally yoked, that is advice from Paul, not a commandment. You have to take the passage in the context of the entire letter.

I do know businesses (caterers, photographers and wedding planners) that will not do second marriage ceremonies. You never hear about them in the news because the couple just goes to the next business and gets the service they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies