Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

428 posts, read 344,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I respectfully disagree with Bulldogdad.

Abortion is a private medical procedure decided by the individual woman with counsel by her physician. It is also none of my or anyone else's business.

That, of course, was not the topic.

I'll throw out my own abortion theory.

A child one month after conception is worth less (and should have less legal protection) than one eight months after conception. I can't see much difference in legal status between a child immediately before and immediately after birth.

A child one day after birth should have less in the way of medical resources thrown at him/her than a 20 year old with health problems. By the same token, an 80 year old should receive less care than a 20 year old. We do live in a world of limited resources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
From this liberal....

If tax dollars are supporting you and/or your family, you must not reproduce again until you are self-supporting.

I get lots of push back on this one from many of my friends.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
From this liberal....

If tax dollars are supporting you and/or your family, you must not reproduce again until you are self-supporting.

I get lots of push back on this one from many of my friends.
This conservative agrees.

Wow common ground imagine that.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:53 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,222,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
USA should worry about its own interest rather than messing with other countries' internal affairs.

It's just the same as we should worry about our own genitals rather than passing laws to regulate other people's genitals.
Can you tell me what laws are regulating other peoples genitals?

Last edited by wjtwet; 04-08-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 11:54 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Mine is you should have to have a license to have children. You should have to demonstrate a clean, safe environment and a steady income. Violation results in the child going out for adoption to a responsible family. No exceptions. You need a license to hunt, fish and get married but any idiot can have a child.

Also, prison time for fathering children and not supporting them. And that time to be spent working to pay back the state for supporting the child.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
For me it is a state issue, Prop 13 that keeps property taxes artificially low for long time residents.

I think it should be abolished so everyone pays the same property taxes. The people who usually agree with me re tax policy suddenly change their tune when one of the perks they enjoy is getting the axe.

Making this change would actually cause my own taxes to increase, but that is the cost of being intellectually honest and wanting a fair tax system.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
That, of course, was not the topic.

I'll throw out my own abortion theory.

A child one month after conception is worth less (and should have less legal protection) than one eight months after conception. I can't see much difference in legal status between a child immediately before and immediately after birth.

A child one day after birth should have less in the way of medical resources thrown at him/her than a 20 year old with health problems. By the same token, an 80 year old should receive less care than a 20 year old. We do live in a world of limited resources.
It's not so clear cut. A new born with a fixable defect can go on to live a long and productive life. Likewise, an healthy, mentally competent 80 year old with a fixable defect can live many more productive years. Each case needs to be decided according to an agreed upon rubric - generalizations are useless.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
For me it is a state issue, Prop 13 that keeps property taxes artificially low for long time residents.

I think it should be abolished so everyone pays the same property taxes. The people who usually agree with me re tax policy suddenly change their tune when one of the perks they enjoy is getting the axe.

Making this change would actually cause my own taxes to increase, but that is the cost of being intellectually honest and wanting a fair tax system.
The intent of laws like Prop 13 is to prevent retirees on limited incomes from being taxed out of their homes. However, I and many of my retired friends are living on incomes that are equal to or greater than our pre-retirement incomes, and we could easily afford the increased tax rate (taxes on my home would probably double). So, I would agree that limited income = reduced property tax, for everyone else, property taxes should be levied equally.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:17 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Whether my opinons are popular or not seem to depend on who is the president at the time.

As an example, I believe the welfare programs we undertook for Wall Street are wrong. If we had a (R) president I'd find a lot of support. Since we have a (D) president I find little support in that position.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
The intent of laws like Prop 13 is to prevent retirees on limited incomes from being taxed out of their homes. However, I and many of my retired friends are living on incomes that are equal to or greater than our pre-retirement incomes, and we could easily afford the increased tax rate (taxes on my home would probably double). So, I would agree that limited income = reduced property tax, for everyone else, property taxes should be levied equally.
When a retiree is sitting in a house with a value between 500k and a million dollars they can afford the taxes that everyone else pays. I would make a compromise and be fine with a lien against the property in the amlunt of taxes owed that must be paid after the owners die. So let's say anyone over 65 with an income less than 50k can apply. The old folks get to stay in their home and the estate covers the delayed taxes, this would be interest free but adjusted for inflation.

Everybody wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies