Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 08:01 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We both know Mengele is far from the only example I can give. Clearly I cannot assess each and every German citizen of that time period, and I am sure there were plenty of good Germans too. But 44% of Germans DID vote for Hitler, which is the largest win of that time period. What is the point of even having separate countries if they can't even be held accountable for the actions of the nation?
Why do you keep lying about German History? The last fair German Elections before WW2 were held on March 6 1932. In that election the Nazis got 33.09% of the vote of the German Electorate. The 44% in 1933 were only achievable by massive voter and candidate suppression.

German federal election, November 1932 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition Hitler never talked about performing an Holocaust on the Jewish people in his campaign. Neither did he talk about invading other countries. Hitlers main campaign slogan was "Freedom & Bread".

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 04-12-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 08:02 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
They wouldn't do that because real fiscal conservatives (ie. not like the idealogue Republicans we have in Washington right now) understand that allowing businesses to not be encumbered with healthcare expenses leads to economic growth and job creation. True fiscal conservatives also understand that an educated workforce that isn't encumbered with crippling student loans leads to a new generation of consumers who can actually afford to buy goods, services, and housing.
I wish more conservatives had the same train of thought as you did.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:09 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Why do you keep lying about German History? The last German Elections before WW2 were held on March 5 1933. In that election the Nazis got 33.09% of the vote of the German Electorate. And those numbers were only achievable by massive suppression against Social Democratic and Communist political candidates.

German federal election, March 1933 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You should probably read your own link before posting it...
Quote:
Despite achieving a much better result than in the November 1932 election, the Nazis did not do as well as Hitler had hoped. Notwithstanding massive violence and intimidation, the Nazis won only 43.9% of the vote, rather than the majority that he had expected. Therefore, he was forced to maintain his coalition with the DNVP to control a majority of seats. The Communists forfeited about a fourth of their votes, while the Social Democrats suffered only moderate losses. Shortly after the election, the KPD was banned and its 81 seats (12% of the Reichstag seats) were "annulled" for the purported communist role in the Reichstag Fire. Within a few days, all of the KPD's representatives were either under arrest or were in hiding.
Here is another one if you want confirmation...

http://http://diebesteallerzeiten.de/blog/2009/02/19/was-hitler-democratically-elected/

Also, let's examine the first sentence of your response. What other perceived lies about Germany have I told?

Based on the facts, shall I now call you a liar?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Why do you keep lying about German History? The last fair German Elections before WW2 were held on March 6 1932. In that election the Nazis got 33.09% of the vote of the German Electorate. The 44% in 1933 were only achievable by massive voter and candidate suppression.

German federal election, November 1932 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition Hitler never talked about performing an Holocaust on the Jewish people in his campaign. Neither did he talk about invading other countries. Hitlers main campaign slogan was "Freedom & Bread".
Nice! You got the edit in before the time elapsed.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:19 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
You should probably read your own link before posting it...

Here is another one if you want confirmation...

http://http://diebesteallerzeiten.de/blog/2009/02/19/was-hitler-democratically-elected/

Also, let's examine the first sentence of your response. What other perceived lies about Germany have I told?

Based on the facts, shall I now call you a liar?
I was posting the wrong link. My point was that Hitler never got 44% in any fair elections.

In addition is very inappropriate from an American who's country existence is based on mass genocide and slavery to point to to another countries shameful history. But as you see in this thread you post one accusations about one country and you get 5 fingers pointing back at you.

That's how it should be. America has no basis to judge any countries history on this planet.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I was posting the wrong link. My point was that Hitler never got 44% in any fair elections.

In addition is very inappropriate from an American who's country existence is based on mass genocide and slavery to point to to another countries shameful history. But as you see in this thread you post one accusations about one country and you get 5 fingers pointing back at you.

That's how it should be. America has no basis to judge any countries history on this planet.
Here is the difference though, and it is a huge one, I have never denied or defended the atrocities of my country against its own people. That is my point of contention. I hold no ill will towards Germans of today. Only ones who try to justify the actions of WWII Germany. Can't you see the difference?

Old 04-12-2015, 08:36 AM

309 posts, read 258,161 times
Quote:
Here is the difference though, and it is a huge one, I have never denied or defended the atrocities of my country against its own people. That is my point of contention. I hold no ill will towards Germans of today. Only ones who try to justify the actions of WWII Germany. Can't you see the difference?
I am not trying to justify them either. However, two wrongs do not make a right.

And just for the record, I do not believe in German exceptionalism either. Germans are a great nation that has contributed a lot to humanity in sciences, the arts, philosophy, engineering and social progress, but they are not the only great nation out there. Germany is a good place to live in too, and though it has quite a few faults, for me it is the best place on this green earth. But others have a right to disagree.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
I am not trying to justify them either. However, two wrongs do not make a right.
It's a nice sentiment, but unfortunately, in war, sometimes they do. Unfortunately, in war, the side with the most strength and force wins. If you want to argue Hiroshima and Nagasaki, we may find some areas of agreement, but as far as Germany goes, I don't think the allied response was grossly disproportionate.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Did they really? So I'm guessing that conservative govt. got rid of their single payer healthcare and low tuition education system and let the invisible hand of the free market handle it right?

Other countries conservatives govt are as left if not more so than our countries democrats.
90% of Canadians support universal healthcare. Our budget will be balanced this year, and we will start paying down our deficit. How is that balanced budget thing going in the USA?

Canadian top corporate tax rate is 15% versus 35% in the USA. Our personal tax rate is comparable, depending on which State or province is included.

Canada spends 33% less on healthcare as a percentage of GDP with better results; Canadians live longer.

Lower taxes, better results from healthcare, longer lives. Yeah, Canada's conservatism works and is not an unworkable theory life the Tea party presents.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:02 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Did they really? So I'm guessing that conservative govt. got rid of their single payer healthcare and low tuition education system and let the invisible hand of the free market handle it right?

Other countries conservatives govt are as left if not more so than our countries democrats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
They wouldn't do that because real fiscal conservatives (ie. not like the idealogue Republicans we have in Washington right now) understand that allowing businesses to not be encumbered with healthcare expenses leads to economic growth and job creation. True fiscal conservatives also understand that an educated workforce that isn't encumbered with crippling student loans leads to a new generation of consumers who can actually afford to buy goods, services, and housing.
Quote:
I wish more conservatives had the same train of thought as you did.
Fiscal conservatives would understand long term effects of public policy? Is that what both of you are saying/agreeing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies